Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What questions should Boards.ie members ask political candidates to answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭littlema

"Quit ringing the bell....oh it's you minister, well I have a few things to ask you before you start to waffle.

1.Can you please spend some of your mileage money to send a one-way ticket to Angela Merkle so that she can sort out the mess you put us in and don't let her go until SHE has burnt the Bond Holders?

2 I want immediate restoration of the excellent Cancer Care facilities in the Northwest as there are still NO centres North of a line from Dublin to Galway.

3 Can you let me see the Tender documents for the upgrade of the Death Strech of road with the 30 crosses on it that purports to be a National Primary route namely the N4 from Castlebaldwin to Collooney? That is the only way I will believe any of your "promises" on my doorstep."

"Are you going already, sure I'v only started? Well......feck off so!"
    "And if it snows like M T Cranium says it might.....I want some salt/grit available for our roads so I don't lamp the car again!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

1. What is your view on Ireland's membership in the eurozone?

2. Would you be willing to pass an 'open government' package of reforms which would include:
    • Protection for whistleblowers
    • "Sunshine laws" which would require government officials to provide official notice and records of any meeting of over three people which involved the people's business?
    • Mandatory donor reporting for all transactions over 300 euros
    • Strengthening of perjury laws, including immediate ejection and/or permanent ban from elected office for those found guilty of perjury

3. Do you think that those involved in the overnight proceedings around the blanket bank guarantee should be investigated and/or subpoenaed?

4. What is your position on the Croke Park agreement?

5. What is your position on Irish bankruptcy law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

...will you privatise RTE and bring about the end of the exorbitant gravy train for Marian and Pat? And all the dead wood at the top of the management sturcture that are just waiting on their cushy retirement, that will only be replaced by dead wood in waiting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

...will you privatise RTE and bring about the end of the exorbitant gravy train for Marian and Pat? And all the dead wood at the top of the management sturcture that are just waiting on their cushy retirement, that will only be replaced by dead wood in waiting?
    or perhaps since they are semi state when will they apply the €250K cap. If they aren't employees then contracts to be re-negotiated asap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

That is a nice list of questions. The problem is, politicians lie.

There have been two canvassing parties roll through my area. On FG and one Lab.

They didn't stop at our house, but did at my neighbours. He asked them about the bank bailouts and us absorbing their debt as sovereign debt. Both the FG and Lab candidates said they were against absorbing the debt and supported defaulting.

Seriously!

If either are elected does anyone really think they will work towards defaulting?

They will say anything at the door sure.

Last election when Timmy Dooley ran he said on the radio and in the two local papers here in Co. Clare that, and I quote, he would resign if after he was elected if they shut the 24 hours A&E in Ennis.

A few weeks after he was elected they shut the 24 hour A&E in Ennis. His response?

'Sure, no one took me seriously when I said that, it was a figure of speech'.

Politicians lie to get elected. They will answer any question you give them with whatever response they think will get you to vote for them. Just don't expect them to do anything other than tow the party line once in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Will you pass the two current Bills put forward by the Greens:

on Climate Change?

on Corporate Donations?

And if you have time...

Do you know what ACTA is?

(If FG and Labour)

Why do YOUR members support ACTA in the European Parliament?
    Why do YOUR members try to restrict our current traffic light food labelling in the European Parliament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Koyasan wrote: »
    And if you have time...

Do you know what ACTA is?

(If FG and Labour)

Why do YOUR members support ACTA in the European Parliament?
    Why do YOUR members try to restrict our current traffic light food labelling in the European Parliament?

Yes my main bone with FG is their support at EU level for ACTA

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I've got a few more...

Do you think TD and Senators should be obliged to attend every sitting of their respective houses?

After a TD/Senator stands down or loses their seat do you think that they should be obliged to publish details of their income and financial interests for a further two years?

Would you support the establishment of more secular schools for people who do not wish to have their children educated in a school owned/controlled by a religious group?

Would you support a system of recall elections? For example if 25% of people in a particular constituency signed a petition a by-election would be called.

What do you plan to do to increase the size and importance of the Irish R&D sector?

What do you plan to do to ensure that new technology IP developed by Irish companies remains in Irish hands?

Off the top of you head and without looking, what percentage of your party manifesto is given over to dealing with our current economic problems and what percentage is given over to our long term economic development.

How do you propose to deal with the big differences in price for the same products sold by the same retailers North and South of the border?

Also, a tip I learned from a veteran canvasser - Ask your questions with a totally neutral expression and show no emotion. Canvassers pick up on such signs to tailor their answers to you, so try not to give away your own opinion about a particular question - that will hopefully force a more honest answer out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Political Candidate: Hi there Im canvassing on behalf of ______
    House owner In Negative Equity: Oh hello How are ya Mr Canvasser
    (during this Exchange i administer truth serum via air born spray cunningly disguised as a flower on my lapel)
    Political Candidate: Heres our manifesto, have you any questions you would like to ask as I would love your support in the forthcoming elections?
    House owner In Negative Equity: Yes, actually i do! Do you and your cohorts really, I mean REALLY, give a flying F£$K about the "people on the ground" like me or is your top priority your own career and getting your salary and your ministerial car and all the perks that go with it.
    Political Candidate: You want the truth?
    House owner In Negative Equity: Yes.........
    Political Candidate: Youuuu Want the Truuuuuthhh?????
    House owner In Negative Equity: Yesss I WANT THE TRUTH
    Political Candidate: YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTHHH,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

"If I was to ask your opponent, what would he say you'd say was your policy achilles heel"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Scien wrote: »
    If your party is in Government, will they make provisions for the reversal of the blasphemy law?

A corollary to this: The three main parties (yes I've included FF) have committed to reform of Government which will require a referendum to substantially redraft the constitution. Does the candidate support removing all references to religion and god from the constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

My Mom intends to ask what they are going to do about the Justice System here. Its a disgrace that a murderer can get out in only a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

At what point will you reduce social welfare for those that dont deserve it? (ie those who never intend on working, but sponge of us who are already struggling to put food on the table)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Do you care about the fact that we are major facilitators of the war in the Middle East?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Are you going to hold the previous government and their civil servants accountable for the bailout fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Can you tell me how much of our road tax and fuel tax is actually being spent to improve secondary roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Q: How did you get into politics?
    A: Well see my father and grandfather...

Slam door shut

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

What are the top three things wrong with the Irish political system and how are you going to fix same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Will you reverse the 2002 agreement to limit the Catholic Churches liability to abuse claims and stop the Irish Tax Payers paying for the crimes of child abusers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 slashcut

(A few questions to assess their level of knowledge of current affairs. It might reveal a bit about their attitude to how important they think this these issues are)
    1. Do you understand what events led to the economic mess we are all in?
    2. As you see it, could you explain what happened?
    3. Do you think NAMA is/was a good idea?
    4. Would you do anything different?
    5. As you see it, what is the purpose of the Seanaid?
    6. Are you in favour of aboloshing it?
    7. If it is suposed to monitor the activities of dail Eireann, why do you think that the seanaid didnt act during the boom years to prevent some of this mess?

(then the awkward questions...)

8. In what way, if any, do you think the Financial Regulator bears some responsibility for this mess?
    Have you / your party any plans to address this? (anything short of a detailed answer indicates no intention at all of taking action)

9. Are you in favour of taxing the public service further?
    10. All of the public service? Or, which parts/departments/levels? why?
    11. Will you vilify all public servants with pay cuts?

12. If I pay €1297 per year for car tax (on the car I saved up for for 8 years), insane insurance premiums which keep rising because im a "young fella", insane fuel prices (largly due to tax), tolls on main roads, higher tax on parts & service for my car, little or no road maintenance in my locality, and no new roads to speak of being built in my locality - I feel that im justified in feeling that the government is taking advantage of me and I dont see my tax money being used for what I think it should be used for.
    Although tax is a necessary evil, this is taking the pi$$. Will you reduce these crazy taxes. Please!

13. Im paying a ridiculous amout of "Pension Contribution" each month. I dont want to pay this insane amount of money to the government. They clearly cant manage the pensions properly, and can reduce payouts at will. Why should I pay into the current hairbrained scheme and have no control over my own money?(id rather take responsibility for my own investment thankyou)

14. Which do you think is better:
    (a). identify all those involved in creating this economic mess and tax them alone until we are out of this mess
    (b). stop wasting time identifying those responsible and tax everyone proportionatly to their income so that we all share the burden?
    If number 2: (A huge number of people did not borrow excessively, and did not engage in underhanded "dealings" with banks or with property developers etc - eg, younger people. Now we are being hit with insane taxes, little job prospects, and are being burdened with responsibility for decades to come - so you can guess my stance on this).

15. I imagine that most politicians (or canvasers) cant possibly know all there is to know in detail about our national problems, and it would be unreasonable to expect a person to have a plan to fix everything, obviously! What 1 thing/area do you know a lot about, and what is your plan to address this area?

16. In the past, what have you done to foster anti-corrupt attitudes (even with small insignificant examples) with your colleagues, and members of the public that you encounter?

17. PLEASE get rid of the (1926) TV licence. PLEASE!!!

18. Has your party got any policy on improving internet services in bourder counties?

19. If elected, what role will you occupy? Have you been promised a particular position by the party?

20. Although we are very much involved in Europe, it seems clear to me that Europe is proving as restricting as it is beneficial. Do you think we are still better off 'in' Europe, and if so why?

21. The initial Lisbon referendum 'No' vote caused the government a headache, because they wanted a 'Yes' vote. Were you involved in sorting out all the confusion? What was your stance on this Yes vs No argument?
    Basically they slapped the people in the face and said "NO, you voted wrong, now do it again - properly this time." It was a typical example of the government blatently (and arguably illegally) ignoring the results of a national referendum. How am I to ever trust any party who was in favour of a yes vote if this is the kind of behaviour they practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Today a canvasser arrived at my door. I happened to be in my pyjamas after coming in from school and am aware that I already look about 14 despite having been 18 since last September. First thing they said to me when I opened the door was "Hi is your Mammy or Daddy home?"

The enjoyment I got out of informing them I was actually voting age and that even if I wasn't, my opinions should still be taken onboard was immense :)

I've been voiceless up until now, the first thing I'd like them to answer is why that's been so... At 16/17 I still had same view on the education system and had as much a right as anyone else to contribute by means of voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭littlema

slashcut wrote: »
    (A few questions to assess their level of knowledge of current affairs. It might reveal a bit about their attitude to how important they think this these issues are)
    1. Do you understand what events led to the economic mess we are all in?
    2. As you see it, could you explain what happened?
    3. Do you think NAMA is/was a good idea?
    4. Would you do anything different?
    5. As you see it, what is the purpose of the Seanaid?
    6. Are you in favour of aboloshing it?
    7. If it is suposed to monitor the activities of dail Eireann, why do you think that the seanaid didnt act during the boom years to prevent some of this mess?

(then the awkward questions...)

8. In what way, if any, do you think the Financial Regulator bears some responsibility for this mess?
    Have you / your party any plans to address this? (anything short of a detailed answer indicates no intention at all of taking action)

9. Are you in favour of taxing the public service further?
    10. All of the public service? Or, which parts/departments/levels? why?
    11. Will you vilify all public servants with pay cuts?

12. If I pay €1297 per year for car tax (on the car I saved up for for 8 years), insane insurance premiums which keep rising because im a "young fella", insane fuel prices (largly due to tax), tolls on main roads, higher tax on parts & service for my car, little or no road maintenance in my locality, and no new roads to speak of being built in my locality - I feel that im justified in feeling that the government is taking advantage of me and I dont see my tax money being used for what I think it should be used for.
    Although tax is a necessary evil, this is taking the pi$$. Will you reduce these crazy taxes. Please!

13. Im paying a ridiculous amout of "Pension Contribution" each month. I dont want to pay this insane amount of money to the government. They clearly cant manage the pensions properly, and can reduce payouts at will. Why should I pay into the current hairbrained scheme and have no control over my own money?(id rather take responsibility for my own investment thankyou)

14. Which do you think is better:
    (a). identify all those involved in creating this economic mess and tax them alone until we are out of this mess
    (b). stop wasting time identifying those responsible and tax everyone proportionatly to their income so that we all share the burden?
    If number 2: (A huge number of people did not borrow excessively, and did not engage in underhanded "dealings" with banks or with property developers etc - eg, younger people. Now we are being hit with insane taxes, little job prospects, and are being burdened with responsibility for decades to come - so you can guess my stance on this).

15. I imagine that most politicians (or canvasers) cant possibly know all there is to know in detail about our national problems, and it would be unreasonable to expect a person to have a plan to fix everything, obviously! What 1 thing/area do you know a lot about, and what is your plan to address this area?

16. In the past, what have you done to foster anti-corrupt attitudes (even with small insignificant examples) with your colleagues, and members of the public that you encounter?

17. PLEASE get rid of the (1926) TV licence. PLEASE!!!

18. Has your party got any policy on improving internet services in bourder counties?

19. If elected, what role will you occupy? Have you been promised a particular position by the party?

20. Although we are very much involved in Europe, it seems clear to me that Europe is proving as restricting as it is beneficial. Do you think we are still better off 'in' Europe, and if so why?

21. The initial Lisbon referendum 'No' vote caused the government a headache, because they wanted a 'Yes' vote. Were you involved in sorting out all the confusion? What was your stance on this Yes vs No argument?
    Basically they slapped the people in the face and said "NO, you voted wrong, now do it again - properly this time." It was a typical example of the government blatently (and arguably illegally) ignoring the results of a national referendum. How am I to ever trust any party who was in favour of a yes vote if this is the kind of behaviour they practice?

Jaysus, the shower of canvassers are just not capable of listening to that amount of questions, let alone have the wit to articulate any form of comprehensive answers-pity though, 'twould be gas to hear the stuttering and mumbling!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FreeCheese4All

The problem I have with asking them questions on the doorstep is that they can tell you whatever you want to hear, but when elected they won't stick to it.

I had one FGer at the door last night. He had previously dropped in a leaflet with a list of bullet points, giving the impression that when elected he will implement all 10 of these points.
    So as sad as I am I typed all of these out and asked him to sign my letter stating that he will implement all of these when in government. Of course he didn't sign and all he could say was he would to the best of his ability try to implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slashcut

little ma wrote: »
    Jaysus, the shower of canvassers are just not capable of listening to that amount of questions, let alone have the wit to articulate any form of comprehensive answers-pity though, 'twould be gas to hear the stuttering and mumbling!!!!:rolleyes:

Ah yea, ur completely right, it's more of a brief wishlist really. If i only had a minute with them I'd ask 1, 2, 15 & 21 n watch em squirm :D
    Same time though, if they call to your door they should be ready to speak to you, listen to you, and be capable of saying why you should vote for em - dont dip a spoon in anything less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

If you're in government will you put a halt to the ridiculous shafting up of mortgage interest rates by banks? what happened yesterday by Permenent TSB was completely and utterly uncalled for ,the bank should be let collapse ,now the rest will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

How much will you pay me for voting for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Ask Sinn Fein candidates; how your plan to use the National Pension Reserve Plan to pay our budget deficit for this year and also to use it for a stimulus package can work when there isn't even enough in it to cover the deficit?
    It cant work but it would be funny to hear one of them try to explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Ask all parties why the contract for Corrib Gas which could be worth an estimated €700 Billion, giving it away for nothing and getting no tax return. Signed by a corrupt Fianna Fail minister cannot be renegotiated as the country is now bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

hazchem wrote: »
    Ask all parties why the contract for Corrib Gas which could be worth an estimated €700 Billion, giving it away for nothing and getting no tax return. Signed by a corrupt Fianna Fail minister cannot be renegotiated as the country is now bankrupt.

Talk to John Perkins and he'll fill you in why they do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BellevueBabel

As I have no interest in the past other than learning from it these are the questions I ask.

If your candidate is elected for this constituency and when you come looking for my vote at the next election how will you answer:
    1. As a result of you being elected what have you and your party done?
    2. How did you or your party achieve this?
    3. What has been the impact of what you have done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

If FG, I would ask how they plan to implement a health service based on the Dutch model they favour and how they plan to reduce any problems associated with this system.

If FF, I would ask why they continue to support a corrupt, stupid and incompetent party that has created slimballs such as Ahern and the Flynn's etc, and continue to promote incompetent TD's to the front bench such as Coughlan, Harney, Lenihan etc.

I would ask any party if they support a system where everybody eligible to vote can directly elect the Taoiseach. This would mean that the Taoiseach would not also be a local TD, so it would reduce the gombeen vote of voting for a party leader on the likelhood of them becoming Taoiseach because "he" or "she" comes from my area.

I would ask if they supported my view that only people with expertise in their chosen fields can hold a cabinet position, i.e. an expert in economics and financial markets becomes Finance Minister, a doctor becomes Health Minister etc. Again people holding cabinet positions should not also be a local TD. Candidates looking to hold a cabinet position should put their name forward and their qualifications, experience etc should be made public knowledge with the candidate chosen by the Taoiseach in an open and transparent manner explaining why this person was chosen.

I would also ask if they supported the view that people appointed to the boards of state bodies are to be chosen based on their ability and not on their loyalty to a political party. Decision should be open, fair and transparent with job vacancies for these position advertised in the media and any appointments should also be advertised in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

For me one issue trumps all others. We need serious electoral, political and constitutional changes to how this country is setup and run If we fix this then stand a much beter chance at fixing everything else. This is what I will be talking to canvassers about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'll be asking them if they support abortion rights and telling them I won't vote for them if they don't.

That's not actually strictly true, because the ULA aren't running in my constituency and they're the only pro-choice "party" in this election. But I'm going to say it anyway because I'm fed up with this perception by politicians that it's only the right-to-lifers who care about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

To an independant / small party:

1. If you get elected and end up as a "back bencher" how much of a say will you have regarding the issues facing our country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Ask Sinn Fein candidates; how your plan to use the National Pension Reserve Plan to pay our budget deficit for this year and also to use it for a stimulus package can work when there isn't even enough in it to cover the deficit?
    It cant work but it would be funny to hear one of them try to explain it

Finance bill being signed dumped a chunk of the NPRF into the banks. FF and FG support using the funds for recapitalization of the banks (Labour tell us that if they're elected things will be ggrrrreeat, awesome and changey :)).

SF intend to avoid the black hole that is our banking sector and invest in jobs and further economic growth through the use of stimulus packages. Domestic economists, the ESRI and numerous international economic analysts have come out in support of SF's proposals, and Sinn Féin's alone at that.

Do your research please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I'll be asking them if they support abortion rights and telling them I won't vote for them if they don't.

That's not actually strictly true, because the ULA aren't running in my constituency and they're the only pro-choice "party" in this election. But I'm going to say it anyway because I'm fed up with this perception by politicians that it's only the right-to-lifers who care about the issue.

I'm fairly sure Labour are pro-choice. Or at least pro-choice enough to annoy Uber Catholic Theocrat David Quinn http://twitter.com/#!/DavQuinn/status/34296660800573440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Finance bill being signed dumped a chunk of the NPRF into the banks. FF and FG support using the funds for recapitalization of the banks (Labour tell us that if they're elected things will be ggrrrreeat, awesome and changey :)).

SF intend to avoid the black hole that is our banking sector and invest in jobs and further economic growth through the use of stimulus packages. Domestic economists, the ESRI and numerous international economic analysts have come out in support of SF's proposals, and Sinn Féin's alone at that.

Do your research please :D

SF say they will reject the EU/IMF bailout and use the NPRF to pay for our budget deficit this year. The deficit is more than the NPRF so there will be nothing left for a stimulus package. SF plan may sound good but it is not realistic, you can not spend money you have already spent.

Do your research please biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Ask them about the difficulty people operating any business have in getting paid for goods and services. Ask them can they fast track the construction payments bill ..........before any more decent small companies are forced out of business because the big boys are playing God ,and paying what and when they like , then hiding behind company law. Grrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

The one question I would ask canvassers... would their candidates be able to say the words 'I don't know'.

Are we not all so tired of spoofers and waffle that some straight, brutally honest opinions would get our attention and votes. The minute anyone, not only pols, start spoofing to me I stop them and question the basis of their opinion etc. - if they can't back it up with logical rational arguments and facts then I deem them a spoofer.

Enough, let us all quit our hypocritical national pastime of talking out of both sides of our mouths. Otherwise let's quit lambasting the pols for they only reflect our own attitudes and ways.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

R28 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Labour are pro-choice. Or at least pro-choice enough to annoy Uber Catholic Theocrat David Quinn http://twitter.com/#!/DavQuinn/status/34296660800573440

Labour aren't pro-choice. Labour youth and Ógra Shinn Féin are however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If you're in government will you put a halt to the ridiculous shafting up of mortgage interest rates by banks? what happened yesterday by Permenent TSB was completely and utterly uncalled for ,the bank should be let collapse ,now the rest will do the same.
    Just a brief O/T here - if the Irish State is borrowing at over 6%, how can the banks lend at less? It's just not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

jkforde wrote: »
    The one question I would ask canvassers... would their candidates be able to say the words 'I don't know'.

Are we not all so tired of spoofers and waffle that some straight, brutally honest opinions would get our attention and votes. The minute anyone, not only pols, start spoofing to me I stop them and question the basis of their opinion etc. - if they can't back it up with logical rational arguments and facts then I deem them a spoofer.

Enough, let us all quit our hypocritical national pastime of talking out of both sides of our mouths. Otherwise let's quit lambasting the pols for they only reflect our own attitudes and ways.

tis a thorny philosophy indeed

'corse people that talk out of one side of the moths are stroke victims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

R28 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Labour are pro-choice.

No they aren't. Their policy is for moderate reinterpretation of Article 40.3.3, to allow abortion in cases of serious health risk or fatal foetal abnormality as well as a risk to the woman's life. They do not believe the Constitution should be amended or that a woman should have the right to make her own decision on abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cal_Egle

I just read the FF General Election Manifesto .... It must go down as one of the greatest works of Fiction ever :D In Micheal Martins opening statement, he is claiming the Finances have stabilised and that Unemployment is coming down.... Seriously guys, I thought Micheal Martin was the new beginning for FF... Its just more of the same lies... Unemployment is coming down because 100,000 have emmigrated in the last 12 months, with another 100,000 expected to leave over the next 12-18 months, and Micheal Martin is taking credit for this and looking on this as a positive..... Finances have stabilised ??? PAYE fell by 7% in the last quarter.... that is the average Joe/Jane Bloggs not earning an income and paying tax from working... Is MM for real??? Does he expect us to swallow this b*llsh&t and vote FF back in ? Seriously, does he believe we will, or is he telling us all this tongue in cheek to parody a real party leader...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

Cal_Egle wrote: »
    Micheal Martin is taking credit for this and looking on this as a positive.....

Positive does depend on your point of view:

…we feel it will be gratifying to your Excellency to find that the population has been diminished in so remarkable a manner by famine, disease and emigration between 1841 and 1851, and has been since decreasing, the results of the Irish census of 1851 are, on the whole, satisfactory, demonstrating as they do the general advancement of the country.

From the preface to the 1851 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

So,The Greens while in government gave rights to certain people in society who deserve anything but rights.

Adam & Eve Should be Adam & Eve Not Adam & Steve.

So will you remove these rights?,Will you help Ireland Man Up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 worktop

we have the crapest services off broadband in europe and also the most expensives 1s..... lets start off with digiweb i pay for 8mbd package 40 euros monthly and only recieve 2mbd when you ring the all you get is contention matters answers ..... i see eircom have brought out a new 8 mbd ngb pacakage im going to leave digiweb for them gave it a try ANYONE living in dublin at the moment can avail OFF UPC broadband WHICH I HEAR IS GOOD compared to digiweb crap JUST WISH UPC WOULD LET THE PEOPLE OFF LOUTH KNOW if they plan to add there services here as they are in most other major towns and cities in ireland DUNDALK needs a decent broad band provider who delievers on what they promise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MickyMally

The single biggest question has to be promising to repay what any normal person would see as an impossibility. Let it be now or 3 years down the road we will be unable to repay, and unable to repay = DEFAULT
    It is mathematically impossible and that is even with a growth of 2%.
    The next biggest snout in the trough has to be the hundreds of HSE pin stripped managers, a lot of whom don't even know what job they have.
    The third biggest snout in the trough has to be 166 TD's, 15 Ministers and 14 Ministers of State using top of the range cars complete with over 40 Garda drivers, 60 Senators, 800 Quangos, and over a 1000 Councillors, with another 1000 engineers employed by Councils.
    Also at the state milking parlour are the retired elite (Ex TD's and Ministers) who get between 3 and 4000 gross per week for the rest of their lives.
    If we sorted out the points above we could then focus on Jobs, but how does a government create jobs for ordinary folk, they don't directly. We must have the the proper structures i.e. proper banks, and less charges on businesses who pay directly to the elitist groups above.
    I see no prospect of anything much different after the election. Let us keep focused on the big issues this is no ordinary election foks.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CU-Cme

Ask them would they support the introduction into legislation of a recall system.

A recall system is when a politician can be removed from office by the will of the people prior to the calling of another general election should he/she fail to deliver on the representation of the election promises that she/he gave in order to get into the seat in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement