Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What questions should Boards.ie members ask political candidates to answer?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

1. What is your view on Ireland's membership in the eurozone?

2. Would you be willing to pass an 'open government' package of reforms which would include:
    • Protection for whistleblowers
    • "Sunshine laws" which would require government officials to provide official notice and records of any meeting of over three people which involved the people's business?
    • Mandatory donor reporting for all transactions over 300 euros
    • Strengthening of perjury laws, including immediate ejection and/or permanent ban from elected office for those found guilty of perjury

As part of the "open government" package, would you review Freedom of Information legislation? For example, bring in those who are currently excluded from the Act such as the Gardaí and the President or get rid of the changes created behind closed doors in 2003?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

As yet I haven't had any of them at my door. Have plenty of fliers put through the letterbox. If any of the candidates come to my door I will just ask for a copy of their CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

puss wrote: »
    As yet I haven't had any of them at my door. Have plenty of fliers put through the letterbox. If any of the candidates come to my door I will just ask for a copy of their CV.

thats good. I may borrow that one! As a father of five, well educated and of academic mind, now totally disillusioned by allcomers, as lets face it they're all roughly the same. I shall, rather than get into it with someone prepared to bull$h!+ me with rhetoric, thereby upsetting myself while shouting THATS A LIE, i will merely tell them they are GUARANTEED my vote and that of my wife if they can answer one question..... How DO they get the figs into the fig rolls. And while they stand there rolling that between their two brain cells , i shall slowly close the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Just a brief O/T here - if the Irish State is borrowing at over 6%, how can the banks lend at less? It's just not possible.

The banks are Not Paying back at 6%, We are.
    some country's in Europe have it in law that the banks Cant put interest rates up more than 1% in any Year.
    Why Cant Ireland do This???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Will the Government, who spend foolishly (and are unqualified, lazy, and corrupt,) reduce their take from citizens and businesses (who earn it?)

The private sector competes. Wealth generation does not improve with Fianna Fail manned quangos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hi all,

Based on this thread, if a candidate makes themselves available for interview, here's the starting point for the questions I'd be asking.

I have a thread to discuss over here, but thanks to all who submitted. I couldn't pick everything, so I've tried to get as broad a range as I could.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Will you go into coalition or support a minority government with either FF or FG?
    How do you plan to tackle the €19bn deficit? The most important question that needs to be asked.
    Scien wrote: »
    If your party is in Government, will they make provisions for the reversal of the blasphemy law?
    1. Will you or will you not introduce legislation to renege on the bank guarantee and burn the bondholders of the Irish banks?
    pajor wrote: »
    Do you have a policy on tackling and/or simplifying the ridiculous web of regressive taxes that exist in this country? eg. VAT, VRT, fuel duty, tourist taxes etc etc
    "Why do you think it's necessary to remove the Seanad altogether

"Will you introduce accountability to the Public Service including sackable offences, real performance measures and so on. Also will you re-introduce benchmarking on the basis that 'what went up, must come down in line with private sector salaries (as I seem to recall the entire logic of benchmarking I was based - in reverse of course)'"
    Manach wrote: »
    Q: How will you eliminate the deficit?
    Q: What exactly do ye know of the Hi-Tech sector?
    Q: Will you support a removal of the the Treason Act 1939?
    Q: What is your position on the right to life?
    Without reference to whose fault it was, what are your proposals for improvements to the current EU/IMF bailout arrangement?

How will you create jobs? If you're planning on saying anything vague such as "by getting the economy moving", "by generating economic growth","by attracting foreign investment", I also want three specific examples of the method you would use, to back up each such assertion please.
    3. Do you believe that blasphemy should be a criminal offence?
    Cian92 wrote: »
    Will you re-instate the old minimum wage of 8.65?

Will you reduce employers PRSI?

Will you scrap PRSI and integrate it into the USC? Why should i be paying two social taxes?

Will we see those responisble for this mess punished?

Will you radically overhall the Seanad and not scrap it?

Will you press ahead with water charges? If not, why should my taxes subsidise other peples water? I never got free water, I had to build my own pump.

Will you have a ministerial car and driver if elected?

What promises will you give to public servants that you will not vilify them with unfair pay cuts?

Would you consider increasing taxes for those earning over a million?

How would you encourage entrepreneurship?

What will you do for the vulnerable, such as the disabled? When vital services are being cut?

Do you support centres of excellence, in our health system?

How will you prevent this sort of crisis happening again?
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    a) Can I have a copy of your detailed Economic policy/plan for the next 5 years ?

j) What will your party do to stop corruption in politics ?

k) What will your party do to further protect the rights of children in Irish society ?

o) What is your party stance in regards the TV licence fee and would your party consider either abolishing it or drastically reducing the cost of same ?

p) What improvements, if any, can your party guarantee me if I have to pay water rates ? Will the water rates be metered or charged a flat rate ?

t) What is your party internet broadband policy, or more to the point, what is you party policy on improving access, provision and quality of same ?

u) What state bodies does your party consider open for privatisation and if any, why ?

v) Would your party consider implementing a cap on salaries in charitable organisations/NGO's in order for same to receive any direct or matched funding from the state ? Particularly so in relation to higher management, CEO and board member salaries.

w) Would your party put into place considerable protections for whistleblowers of private, public, charitable and religious organisations/groups ?

x) What is your party stance in regards large donations from big business, media, religious, multinationals and any entities outside of Ireland or the EU ?

y) What is your party stance in regards the continued threat from dissident Republican and loyalist groups ?
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    What are your policies towards crime ? since the economic downturn crime is on the increase .... why is there no increase in the numbers of gardai on the streets?

Why are there so many Civil Servants - Can the state run with less of them ? .... can we put a limit on family relations in Civil Service jobs ? (no more than 2 per family...marriage to another civil servant would be the ONLY exception to the rule)

Do you think we can get rid of the double jobbing of politicians (ie. become a full-time teacher, change careers into a politician and your job is held for you if/when you are ousted from politics - a temp is hired in order to fill you job)

On the subject of politicians
    EXPENSES !! .... why not make it simple - anyone living in Dublin TD's should get a capped salary €60K, Ministers €75K .... anyone living outside Dublin should get an extra €10-20K ..... NO MORE EXPENSES - if you earn this much and cant afford to get to work..... get a real job !!! (we'd soon see who cares about the money and who cares about the job)
    panda100 wrote: »
    Would you vote in favour of free ,legal abortion in Ireland?

I think you can tell a lot about a candidate by this question.
    1. Ask them their opinion on same sex marrage and adoption. dont let them know your view on this. If they give you a stright answer pro or con at then you'll know they have conviction. If they try talk their way out of it or give a nonsense bull**** answer then you know they're a chancer. (You can also ask about race issues or abortion for the effect).

I will ask all canvassers their views on the recent proposals by the Law Reform Commission which recommend automatic guardianship to unmarried fathers.
    little ma wrote: »
    2 I want immediate restoration of the excellent Cancer Care facilities in the Northwest as there are still NO centres North of a line from Dublin to Galway.
    1. What is your view on Ireland's membership in the eurozone?

2. Would you be willing to pass an 'open government' package of reforms which would include:
    • Protection for whistleblowers
    • "Sunshine laws" which would require government officials to provide official notice and records of any meeting of over three people which involved the people's business?
    • Mandatory donor reporting for all transactions over 300 euros
    • Strengthening of perjury laws, including immediate ejection and/or permanent ban from elected office for those found guilty of perjury
    3. Do you think that those involved in the overnight proceedings around the blanket bank guarantee should be investigated and/or subpoenaed?

4. What is your position on the Croke Park agreement?

5. What is your position on Irish bankruptcy law?
    grundie wrote: »
    Do you think TD and Senators should be obliged to attend every sitting of their respective houses?

Would you support the establishment of more secular schools for people who do not wish to have their children educated in a school owned/controlled by a religious group?

What do you plan to do to increase the size and importance of the Irish R&D sector?

What do you plan to do to ensure that new technology IP developed by Irish companies remains in Irish hands?

Off the top of you head and without looking, what percentage of your party manifesto is given over to dealing with our current economic problems and what percentage is given over to our long term economic development.

How do you propose to deal with the big differences in price for the same products sold by the same retailers North and South of the border?
    paul larry wrote: »
    At what point will you reduce social welfare for those that dont deserve it? (ie those who never intend on working, but sponge of us who are already struggling to put food on the table)
    squod wrote: »
    Are you going to hold the previous government and their civil servants accountable for the bailout fraud?
    Fergus wrote: »
    What are the top three things wrong with the Irish political system and how are you going to fix same?
    slashcut wrote: »
    (A few questions to assess their level of knowledge of current affairs. It might reveal a bit about their attitude to how important they think this these issues are)
    1. Do you understand what events led to the economic mess we are all in?
    2. As you see it, could you explain what happened?
    3. Do you think NAMA is/was a good idea?
    4. Would you do anything different?
    5. As you see it, what is the purpose of the Seanaid?
    6. Are you in favour of aboloshing it?
    7. If it is suposed to monitor the activities of dail Eireann, why do you think that the seanaid didnt act during the boom years to prevent some of this mess?

14. Which do you think is better:
    (a). identify all those involved in creating this economic mess and tax them alone until we are out of this mess
    (b). stop wasting time identifying those responsible and tax everyone proportionatly to their income so that we all share the burden?
    If number 2: (A huge number of people did not borrow excessively, and did not engage in underhanded "dealings" with banks or with property developers etc - eg, younger people. Now we are being hit with insane taxes, little job prospects, and are being burdened with responsibility for decades to come - so you can guess my stance on this).

15. I imagine that most politicians (or canvasers) cant possibly know all there is to know in detail about our national problems, and it would be unreasonable to expect a person to have a plan to fix everything, obviously! What 1 thing/area do you know a lot about, and what is your plan to address this area?

16. In the past, what have you done to foster anti-corrupt attitudes (even with small insignificant examples) with your colleagues, and members of the public that you encounter?

17. PLEASE get rid of the (1926) TV licence. PLEASE!!!

18. Has your party got any policy on improving internet services in bourder counties?

19. If elected, what role will you occupy? Have you been promised a particular position by the party?
    If your candidate is elected for this constituency and when you come looking for my vote at the next election how will you answer:
    1. As a result of you being elected what have you and your party done?
    2. How did you or your party achieve this?
    3. What has been the impact of what you have done?
    To an independent / small party:

1. If you get elected and end up as a "back bencher" how much of a say will you have regarding the issues facing our country?
    Darragh wrote: »
    What reforms have you planned for the HSE? Any hope of making the health service more efficient?

Was the IMF / EU bailout a good deal in your opinion and if not can you renegotiate if elected?

How much do you think politicians should be paid?

Why are certain public servants and members of semi-state bodies paid so much money?

What real and tangible initiatives does your party have for creating jobs?

Would you reverse any decisions made in propping up the banks with taxpayer’s money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Will you amend our bankruptcy laws i.e if the bank take my house back - why is that not the end of the matter ? Why should they having made me and my family homeless be allowed in law to pursue me for anything further ?

Scenario . Mortage €300k . Present value €180k. You have no job. Reposesed and sold for €150k. Add fees €20k. You have no home. You still owe €170k . Untill you die. Homeless. Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

So,The Greens while in government gave rights to certain people in society who deserve anything but rights.

Adam & Eve Should be Adam & Eve Not Adam & Steve.

So will you remove these rights?,Will you help Ireland Man Up again?

Obviously trolling ^
    Oh and the Greens had little to do with the advancement of Gay rights in Ireland. CP bill in inadequate btw.
    Don't worry about Ireland manning up read a book fooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hsh

If I have a go at answering those questions on boards.ie, will people knock on doors for me and multiply the effect?

www.hughsheehy2011.com

It's late and I'm tired, but it looks as if the list still has duplicate questions. Can someone tidy up the list?

H

Advertisement