Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor quality of Setanta Sports on Eircom BB?

Options
  • 30-01-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just discovered this forum today! I originally posted this thread over in the Tech>Nets & Comms>Broadband forum about 6 weeks ago but didn't get a possible answer there. I'll try again here.

I switched from the Up To 3 Meg BB option to NGB in October 2010. Since then I have lost the option to switch between the lower (300 Kbps) and higher (800 Kbps) quality stream when watching Setanta Sports online.

I originally thought all Eircom customers may have lost this option at the same time. Not so it seems. My friend who also has Eircom BB is still on the Up To 3 Meg package and still has the option to switch between the two streams. So the question is why have I lost this option? (See images below).

I also put this query up in Eircom's own broadband help forum. "Mark" answered me there. Same Mark as posts here?

Also tried the broadband escalation web form. Got a totally unsatisfactory reply from this. Merely told to consult the Setanta FAQ's page from which I had found the web escalation form in the first place!!

Image of Setanta Sports running on friends computer. Note the buttons just below video to switch between the streams (300 Kbps & 800 Kbps).
    145731.jpg

Image of my computer. No buttons visible to switch between the streams.
    145732.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Just discovered this forum today! I originally posted this thread over in the Tech>Nets & Comms>Broadband forum about 6 weeks ago but didn't get a possible answer there. I'll try again here.

I switched from the Up To 3 Meg BB option to NGB in October 2010. Since then I have lost the option to switch between the lower (300 Kbps) and higher (800 Kbps) quality stream when watching Setanta Sports online.

I originally thought all Eircom customers may have lost this option at the same time. Not so it seems. My friend who also has Eircom BB is still on the Up To 3 Meg package and still has the option to switch between the two streams. So the question is why have I lost this option? (See images below).

I also put this query up in Eircom's own broadband help forum. "Mark" answered me there. Same Mark as posts here?

Also tried the broadband escalation web form. Got a totally unsatisfactory reply from this. Merely told to consult the Setanta FAQ's page from which I had found the web escalation form in the first place!!

Image of Setanta Sports running on friends computer. Note the buttons just below video to switch between the streams (300 Kbps & 800 Kbps).
    145731.jpg

145732.jpg

Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks for your query.

I have received your Private Message with you home phone number and will look into your broadband connection and advise you shortly.

Cheers
    Ant

145731.jpg

145732.jpg

Hi Mayo Exile

Technical Support for all our Value Added Services (VAS) is provided ONLY through the website links below :

support.eircom.net/emailescalation - VAS Services Support

Just a point of note, which may be useful in resolving your software options - using Setanta streaming:

The first image is using third party sofware (ZShare), and is setup on Windows Xp OS.

On the 2nd image, no indication of the software (version, type or make) is given, nor is there any indication of what Operating system is being used.

You will obviously need to advise VAS support of these 2 points, so they can at least compare 'like-with-like'.

It sounds like this is a software or applicaton issue on on your own PC and I would recommend that you try to use the very same software (and version) that your colleague uses.

I hope this helps resolve the issue.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Hi Mayo Exile

Technical Support for all our Value Added Services (VAS) is provided ONLY through the website links below :

Just a point of note, which may be useful in resolving your software options - using Setanta streaming:

The first image is using third party sofware (ZShare), and is setup on Windows Xp OS.

On the 2nd image, no indication of the software (version, type or make) is given, nor is there any indication of what Operating system is being used.

You will obviously need to advise VAS support of these 2 points, so they can at least compare 'like-with-like'.

It sounds like this is a software or applicaton issue on on your own PC and I would recommend that you try to use the very same software (and version) that your colleague uses.

I hope this helps resolve the issue.

Kind regards
    Ant

Thanks for the reply. I dont fully understand the part of your reply in bold. My friends computer was using Mozilla Firefox when running Setanta Sports for this image. It was a laptop, a pretty old one, so it probably uses Windows XP as you say.

What is Zshare?

As for my own computer I have ran Setanta Sports in both Firefox and IE8. Same result: no buttons visible to change the stream. My PC uses Windows Vista. Have been using this version of Windows since I bought the PC in 2008. Only since changing over to NGB have these buttons vanished.

PM'd you a reply as well.

Thanks for the reply. I dont fully understand the part of your reply in bold. My friends computer was using Mozilla Firefox when running Setanta Sports for this image. It was a laptop, a pretty old one, so it probably uses Windows XP as you say.

What is Zshare?

As for my own computer I have ran Setanta Sports in both Firefox and IE8. Same result: no buttons visible to change the stream. My PC uses Windows Vista. Have been using this version of Windows since I bought the PC in 2008. Only since changing over to NGB have these buttons vanished.

PM'd you a reply as well.

Hi again Mayo Exile

Technical Support for all our eircom Value Added Services (VAS) is provided ONLY through the website links below :

MY APOLOGIES FOR MY EYESIGHT, it's not very clear from the image but it might say VSHARE.TV, and I think Technical Support where wondering why you left this particular detail of the 2nd image.

Either way the first image appears to be using third party sofware (V-SHARE.TV),

eircom Technical Support have further advised that.. YOU WILL NEED TO ADDRESS YOUR QUERY DIRECTLY TO

In my opinion it sounds like a software /or third party applicaton problem on your PC. From past experience eircom Technical Support would lend to this also.

EITHERWAY BROADBAND TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAVE ADVISED THAT YOU CONTACT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE :

If VAS Support is unable to give your answer, then you may need to contact your pc software /vendor /or retailer

Please let me know if you need further assistance if you're unable to accesss :

Kind regards
    Ant

Cheers Ant. The images were taken fairly quickly with a mobile phone camera! My friend was using Firefox. He probably had Vshare TV open in a different browser window.

I'll try using this contact (support.eircom.net/emailescalation - VAS Services Support) and let you know how I get on.

EDIT: Ant, I have sent a query to this email escalation facility.

• Advertisement

@Ant.

The response I got when using the web response at
    was the following quoted below.
    This is the same answer I got when I used this facility before. No good at all. Can you investigate further please if possible. PM also sent.
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail to the eircom.net Sports Team.

In regards to your query, Setanta Sports is available at http://sports.eircom.net/

Here you will be able to view the Setanta Sports Schedule and Sports on
    Demand.

If you are experiencing difficulties please visit the FAQ's http://sports.eircom.net/setanta/help/
    where any issues you may have will be outlined and explained in greater
    detail.

Please be aware that you will have to register for the sports service in
    order to access Live Chat 24/7 & to tweet. Click here to register http://eircomsports.eircom.net/register/
    Thank you.

Kind Regards,

eircom.net Residential Technical Support.

@Ant.

The response I got when using the web response at
    was the following quoted below.
    This is the same answer I got when I used this facility before. No good at all. Can you investigate further please if possible. PM also sent.

Hi Mayo Exile,,
    Not sure if you have received my last post via PM; and without meaning to to keep going back and forward again.

If it's not clear at this stage, please contact Broadband Technical Support Team Directly on the following phone number : 1890 260260 (low call).

Technical Support will be able to confirm our situation verbally regarding our support for broadband as opposed to individual thirdparty pc software.

Please see PREVIOUS POST :
    Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks again for contacting us on boards.ie

Unfortunately we cannot offer any further advice other than what we have already.

Our VAS Support is our primary support department for all queries on VAS services. However if you need more clarification, please contact our Technical Support Department : 1890 260260 (lowcall),

If you need assistance with an eircom related issue, please get in touch again.

All the best
    Ant

Hi Mayo Exile,,
    Not sure if you have received my last post via PM; and without meaning to to keep going back and forward again.

If it's not clear at this stage, please contact Broadband Technical Support Team Directly on the following phone number : 1890 260260 (low call).

Technical Support will be able to confirm our situation verbally regarding our support for broadband as opposed to individual thirdparty pc software.

Please see PREVIOUS POST :
    Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks again for contacting us on boards.ie

Unfortunately we cannot offer any further advice other than what we have already.

Our VAS Support is our primary support department for all queries on VAS services. However if you need more clarification, please contact our Technical Support Department : 1890 260260 (lowcall),

If you need assistance with an eircom related issue, please get in touch again.

All the best
    Ant

@ant

I rang Broadband Technical Support at 1890 260260 about 30 minutes ago. The person said that they could offer no advice with regard to the operation of Setanta Sports via the Eircom website, but merely to consult the help page on the eircom/setanta site and maybe also check the setup on my PC. I told them I already done this. I spent an hour last night checking Windows Media Player settings but couldnt see any problems there.

I asked somebody else in work yesterday who also has Eircom broadband to check out Setanta Sports on their computer and they told me today thay they also have the ability to switch between the lower and higher quality streams via the two buttons beneath the embedded Media Player.

Do you have Eircom Broadband yourself at home? If you do, can you take a look at Setanta Sports to see if you also have this option? To be honest I'm pretty frustrated and unhappy at this stage that this matter cannot seemingly be resolved. I still think that switching over to NGB from the previous Up To 3 Meg package I had has caused the current problem.

PM also sent.

@ant

I rang Broadband Technical Support at 1890 260260 about 30 minutes ago. The person said that they could offer no advice with regard to the operation of Setanta Sports via the Eircom website, but merely to consult the help page on the eircom/setanta site and maybe also check the setup on my PC. I told them I already done this. I spent an hour last night checking Windows Media Player settings but couldnt see any problems there.

I asked somebody else in work yesterday who also has Eircom broadband to check out Setanta Sports on their computer and they told me today thay they also have the ability to switch between the lower and higher quality streams via the two buttons beneath the embedded Media Player.

Do you have Eircom Broadband yourself at home? If you do, can you take a look at Setanta Sports to see if you also have this option? To be honest I'm pretty frustrated and unhappy at this stage that this matter cannot seemingly be resolved. I still think that switching over to NGB from the previous Up To 3 Meg package I had has caused the current problem.

PM also sent.

Thanks again Mayo Exile,

I have advised on PM already, where to find help to resolve your PC - software issue.

I am currently looking into your broadband speed issue and will PM you shortly after some checks.

Regards
    Ant

Been away for a week. Switched on PC tonight and, hey presto the stream option buttons have reappeared! Actually better now, can select between an 850 kbps and a 1500 kbps stream. Quality is good.

Interestingly though, just works in Internet Explorer but not in Mozilla Firefox. The buttons are visible as well in Firefox, but don't work, just a 300 Kbps stream available using this browser. Thanks for fixing this guys!

147844.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks again for your query. I have already advised the same via PM.

This has been proven as a thirdparty software issue. You have clearly confirmed this, as your browser software is now working.

Eircom unfortunately cannot fix this type of software issue, nor do we have a licence to fix software on your computer.

Glad to hear your Internet browser has resolved this issue itself and is back working again.

If you have further software problems please contact your third party Internet browser vendor /or retailer (Microsoft or Mozilla).

Sorry we were unable to assist you with this third party software problem, but glad it is now working for you.

All the best
    Ant
    Been away for a week. Switched on PC tonight and, hey presto the stream option buttons have reappeared! Actually better now, can select between an 850 kbps and a 1500 kbps stream. Quality is good.

Interestingly though, just works in Internet Explorer but not in Mozilla Firefox. The buttons are visible as well in Firefox, but don't work, just a 300 Kbps stream available using this browser. Thanks for fixing this guys!

147844.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

I am also missing the buttons to change to a higher quality stream.

I don't think that it is a software related problem. If I take a laptop
    to my friend's house, the buttons are there. When I return to my place,
    the buttons are missing again.

It seems to me that the Setanta Sports applet is somehow linking IP
    addresses to the broadband package the customer is on and
    then deciding what buttons to display.

John1000 wrote: »

Interesting to know this. According to Eircom: Mark's answer in the Setanta Sports thread it may be subject to connection/availabilty.
    Assuming standard streaming of 300kbps then downstream usage consumed in a match of 90mins duration is approx as follows:

Streaming at 300kbps = 197.75 MB = 0.193 GB

At higher streaming bit rates (subject to customer connection / availability)

Streaming at 800kbps = 527.34 MB = 0.51GB

Streaming at 1500kbps = 988.67 MB = 0.96GB

Interesting to know this. According to Eircom: Mark's answer in the Setanta Sports thread it may be subject to connection/availabilty.

Hi Mayo Exile,

Thanks again. I have spoken with Mark (moderator) and he has advised that your reference to his answer in the Setanta Sports thead is unrelated to your query on your software. The text that you have selected from his answer in this thread is not in relation to use of private software. This is related to availability of Setanta sports for business and residential customers.

If you need further clarification on your software problem, please refer to eircom's VAS Support website (Value Added Services) on the URL below. Unfortunately this is the Only line of support available from eircom, providing the issue is related to eircom Vas. Otherwise, as advised previously please contact your computer software vendor /retailer for assistance with your software.

http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ - 'eircom VAS Support'
    (please select, problem using eircom Value Added Service and select the radio button for Setanta Sports)

If you need help on any other issue, please let me know.

Regards
    Ant

HI John100,

Thanks for you query.

From what you say, it appears that you have an issue with your computer software. If you would like clarification on this please refer to eircom's VAS Support website (Value Added Services) on the URL below.

Unfortunately this is the Only line of support available from eircom, providing the issue is related to eircom VAS. Otherwise, you may need to contact your computer software vendor /retailer for assistance with your software.

http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ - 'eircom VAS Support'
    (please select: problem using eircom Value Added Service and select the radio button for Setanta Sports).
    Submit your problem on the note space provided and our VAS Support will advise you if this is an eircom issue or refer you to some quick checks. Ensure you provide information on your software and your Internet browser, as this will help the VAS team check whether your software problem is non-eircom related.

If you need help on any other issue, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Ant

John1000 wrote: »

Advertisement