Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear and tear

Options
  • 30-01-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advise on a landlord.

I recently moved out of my apartment after my years lease was up. The place was left spotless except for scuff marks on the paint in a bedroom from moving furniture when putting the furniture back into place the way the landlord wanted it when we left. The landlord returned my full deposit and has come back looking for money for having to paint the walls.

Yet they are painting the master bedroom as there is bad damp in one corner of the room. They were told about that and painted over that during the year as well and never looked for money for painting that.

Can they do that or is it classed as wear or tear or does the place have to be painted a fresh coat of paint for the new tenant? The room with scuff marks never got painted the 12 months i was there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Tell him to go swing for it. Painting a room for new tenants is not your problem. After a year paint is not going to be in perfect order, unless the place is ruined he's just chancing his arm.

You have your deposit, not your problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Its general wear and tear hes a chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

As a landlord, I'd probably paint the place anyway after a tenant moves out, if they've been there any decent length of time anyway.. Sounds like he's being a bit cheeky.

Advertisement