Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Study Plan

• 30-01-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to make a study plan (in Leaving Cert and just being doing bits here and there... Nothing structured! :eek:)

I have grinds and stuff some evenings so including weekends I have made a plan that has homework and 2 half hour and 1 hour session for each subject.

The hours are on the weekend and the half hours are on weekdays. I know hour sessions are better but I can't fit them in!

Good or Bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

How many points are you aiming for? Because to be honest, that's barely anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

I'm confused. So how much study are you doing on the weekends, and on weekdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

That's 14 hours a week.. Not including homework and grinds (and applied maths classes).. Including Homework that's 24 hours... Including grinds and applied maths it's nearly 30 hours.

The plan covers up to 9pm Monday to Friday and until 7pm on Saturday and 5pm on Sunday.

I'm trying to see how that could be barely anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

That sounds like a lot of study! Thats great but try not burn yourself out!
    I'm in Leaving Cert too and barely even do my homework. Hoping for 500 points at least. Really should start doing some study. If only I knew where to start. Theres just SO much!
    But back to your study plan, sounds great as long as you can keep it up. Maybe do a bit less on the weekends?!

That sounds like a lot of study! Thats great but try not burn yourself out!
    I'm in Leaving Cert too and barely even do my homework. Hoping for 500 points at least. Really should start doing some study. If only I knew where to start. Theres just SO much!
    But back to your study plan, sounds great as long as you can keep it up. Maybe do a bit less on the weekends?!

I've done so little up till now though that I need to start working hard. That's what put me off, having so much to learn but I've started making notes (finally! :L ) and am just planning on starting from the start and working through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

I'm doing about the same amount myself. I found it easier to stay motivated at the start if you don't do it all in the same place, or all at home. Including homework aswell, I do 2 hours straight after school in the school, until about 6, then when I get home I start again at 8 and go until 10. On Saturdays I go into Limerick to study for a total of 6 and a half hours, and take Sunday off. It sounds like a lot but it really doesn't feel that way if you're not stuck in the same spot studying for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How many points are you aiming for? Because to be honest, that's barely anything.
    Barely anything? To be honest doing absurd hours of unproductive work is worse than an a few hours of intense work. And it does get unproductive and tiring no matter what way you look at it. Quality over quantity. Too many people have it in their heads that you need to do x hours a day to get the information in which is BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

At this stage in the year yeh should be doing at least 5 hours study over the weekend. If yeh don't go out Sat night Sun morning is a brilliant time to study. The only day I don't study is Friday, every other day I'd be doing about 5 hours study, at least 3 of which are productive. This time last year I was doing nada (I'm a repeat) - literally. I find once yeh slip into routine it becomes much easier to study. Unfortunately I don't have much of a plan, I try to balance the subjects out.. I do more of construction and ag science than anything else as I only took them up this year.

OP thats a huge amount of study, couerdepirate clearly doesn't do maths..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

THFC wrote: »
    At this stage in the year yeh should be doing at least 5 hours study over the weekend. If yeh don't go out Sat night Sun morning is a brilliant time to study. The only day I don't study is Friday, every other day I'd be doing about 5 hours study, at least 3 of which are productive. This time last year I was doing nada (I'm a repeat) - literally. I find once yeh slip into routine it becomes much easier to study. Unfortunately I don't have much of a plan, I try to balance the subjects out.. I do more of construction and ag science than anything else as I only took them up this year.

OP thats a huge amount of study, couerdepirate clearly doesn't do maths..
    :O woahhh, that's loooadsss! :P..

I'm in 5th year and actually made a study plan out today. I ussually do about 3.5 hours including homework Monday-Thursday.. I literally do NOTHING on the weekends.. This is what I made out today
    All 1 hour sessions

Monday: Geography, French, English
    Tuesday: Business, Economics, Music
    Wednesday: French, English, Business
    Thursday: Geography, French, English,

I do an hour of Economics every morning from 6.45-7.45 as i'm doing it outside of school and took it up after Christmas. I literally get NO homework though.. And if I do I ussually do it during break/lunch..

Hopefully i'll stick with it! I need to!

:O woahhh, that's loooadsss! :P..

I'm in 5th year and actually made a study plan out today. I ussually do about 3.5 hours including homework Monday-Thursday.. I literally do NOTHING on the weekends.. This is what I made out today
    All 1 hour sessions

Monday: Geography, French, English
    Tuesday: Business, Economics, Music
    Wednesday: French, English, Business
    Thursday: Geography, French, English,

I do an hour of Economics every morning from 6.45-7.45 as i'm doing it outside of school and took it up after Christmas. I literally get NO homework though.. And if I do I ussually do it during break/lunch..

Hopefully i'll stick with it! I need to!

No Irish? or are you exempt? Don't rule out Irish for points in 5th year! Learn off your notes and it's easy to get marks (I only realized this recently though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

That's 14 hours a week.. Not including homework and grinds (and applied maths classes).. Including Homework that's 24 hours... Including grinds and applied maths it's nearly 30 hours.

The plan covers up to 9pm Monday to Friday and until 7pm on Saturday and 5pm on Sunday.

I'm trying to see how that could be barely anything!

Oh god, I'm sorry, I misread your opening post :P
    I thought you said you were just doing one 1-hour study session and 2 half-hour study sessions per week, not per subject!
    Again, sorry, I feel like an idiot :P

Oh god, I'm sorry, I misread your opening post :P
    I thought you said you were just doing one 1-hour study session and 2 half-hour study sessions per week, not per subject!
    Again, sorry, I feel like an idiot :P

Haha, that explains a lot..! :P No bother! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Our learning mentor at school takes us one-on-one and does out a plan, genuinely has helped me to no end. It's not about how much you do but what you are actually learning in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

No Irish? or are you exempt? Don't rule out Irish for points in 5th year! Learn off your notes and it's easy to get marks (I only realized this recently though!)
    I do pass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Our learning mentor at school takes us one-on-one and does out a plan, genuinely has helped me to no end. It's not about how much you do but what you are actually learning in that time.

It's excellent that you have that, there are so many dreadful guidance teachers in school. But I had a really good one last year, and they really make such difference to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Mine isn't a guidance teacher though, she's totally into how we learn etc, more study skills. It makes learning so much easier when you know what has to be there to make it happen etc. It's daft how after so many years of schooling there could still be ambiguity over that.

Advertisement