Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours as required.

Options
  • 30-01-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Good evening all.

Just want to get some other peoples ideas on a situation in work.

Managers and Supervisors (in a hotel) are on a contract stating hours as required. Fair enough. Also states 39 hour week.

A couple of the managers/supervisors have put in 3 long days, clocking up 33 hours in 3 days, and so put themselves in for 6 hours as holidays to make up the 39.

HR refused this, and demanded that they put in for 2 days holidays, which would be 16 hours work, have the "extra" ten hours down as hours as required.

Am I right in saying this is wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If they worked 33 hours and HR are adding 16 hours as AL, they should get paid for 49 hours.

Chalk it up to experience.
    In future they should work a strict 8 hour shift and only do overtime if agreed in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    In future they should work a strict 8 hour shift and only do overtime if agreed in advance.

I'm not sure that's reasonable for folks in 1) management, or 2) hospitality - and these people are both, and their contract specifically says hours-as-required. In most places this means you're salaried and don't receive any extra money for doing extra hours as required.

OP, it comes down to the company's policies, which managers worthy of the title should be well aware of.

But if they weren't there on two days, then I'd say that is two days of annual leave taken.

Advertisement