Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a New-ish PC!

Options
  • 30-01-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi guys, i got a new PC in September so its like 4 months old, anyways its model no HPE-340uk its got an i3,4gb ram and a really crappy graphics card!!,

Anyways, i got it as a present, im looking to turn it into a gaming rig, dosent need to be pr0 or anything, its got a crappy 300w PSU according to the website, i want to upgrade it so i can play crysis 2 without much lag,it runs at 1980x***, i also HAVE to buy from PC world, cause i was given a 5 year cover plan which cost like 300 quid,so if i dont buy from PC world the warrinty will be void(i think??)

im looking for a graphics card, around the 200 euro mark, i was looking at the gtx 460 in pc world was 189.99, but i would also need to upgrade my PSU, could i get some advice from anybody on what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

GarethBah wrote: »
    Hi guys, i got a new PC in September so its like 4 months old, anyways its model no HPE-340uk its got an i3,4gb ram and a really crappy graphics card!!,

Anyways, i got it as a present, im looking to turn it into a gaming rig, dosent need to be pr0 or anything, its got a crappy 300w PSU according to the website, i want to upgrade it so i can play crysis 2 without much lag,it runs at 1980x***, i also HAVE to buy from PC world, cause i was given a 5 year cover plan which cost like 300 quid,so if i dont buy from PC world the warrinty will be void(i think??)

im looking for a graphics card, around the 200 euro mark, i was looking at the gtx 460 in pc world was 189.99, but i would also need to upgrade my PSU, could i get some advice from anybody on what to do

While i'm certainly no expert, i'm not sure how exactly you could void any warranty by buying and installing hardware from a source other than the supplier of said warranty? Or maybe i don't buy enough from PC World to fully understand how they operate, but it seems a bit outlandish to think that would be a condition, i mean, PC World don't stock EVERYTHING.....how are you suppsed to replace or upgrade parts from a shop that may not stock them?

Anyway, back on topic...... Again, certainly no expert, but i have picked up a couple of things on boards....

On recommendation from this forum two of the more recent gfx cards i have used, both sapphire, are HD5570 & HD5770.

The differences in these can be seen on overclockers:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5770_hd5750/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5570_1gb/

I can tell you they are both very good cards, and misers on power, and you SHOULD get away with both these cards with your current PSU (i think, although i'm sure one of the more expert peeps on this forum can verify this or offer a better alternative :D)

Anyways, hope you get a better answer than this from someone with a bit more knowledge :o (but i also hope i helped somewhat :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Thanks for the reply!, i have been told that nvidia cards run better on intel???, btw both those cards appear to be very low end??? D:?

Thanks for the reply!, i have been told that nvidia cards run better on intel???, btw both those cards appear to be very low end??? D:?

I've never used an nVidia card, although i have 1 mate who swears by 'em and another who swears at 'em.......so idk :(

But ya, they are low end, well, the 5770 is more mid range, but the jump from 5570-5770 is huge, and to be honest im not sure theres anything else that's as miserly on power, especially with you having only 300w :o

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I've never used an nVidia card, although i have 1 mate who swears by 'em and another who swears at 'em.......so idk :(

But ya, they are low end, well, the 5770 is more mid range, but the jump from 5570-5770 is huge, and to be honest im not sure theres anything else that's as miserly on power, especially with you having only 300w :o

I will be upgrading the PSU :), i have about 300ish euro for psu + card

I will be upgrading the PSU :), i have about 300ish euro for psu + card

Go nuts then :)

The world is you oyster ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

GTX460 is a very good mid range card for the price, I have it and I'd recommend. ;)

(It goes well with a big screen too!) Gaming at 1920x1200 is sweet.

BULLER wrote: »
    GTX460 is a very good mid range card for the price, I have it and I'd recommend. ;)

(It goes well with a big screen too!) Gaming at 1920x1200 is sweet.

BULLER ..BULLER..BULLER

Sorry hehe :D, what PSU are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/xfx-amd-radeon-hd-6850-pci-e-graphics-card-1gb-08702301-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/antec-550w-truepower-atx-power-supply-unit-07890411-pdt.html

Total = £231.64 = €271 (probably closer to €300 when you include Irish VAT)

That PSU is dear, considering that you can get the next one up for cheaper in most online places. The i3 might hold you back in some of the advanced games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Hey, thanks for the reply! im getting the 6850 and according to Sol my PSU will work so no need to buy a new 1 thanks anyway :d

you wont be dissapointed wit the 6850..Im running a 6870 and its sweet... there aint too much diff in the 2..

6850 should do you graaaaand. I've got a 600W PSU which is more than ample unless you're gonna be getting 3 graphics cards!
    Be sure to pre-order Battlefield 3 http://bf3nation.com/2010/08/frostbite-2-engine-good-news-for-pc-gamers/ ;)
    Gonna have the best graphics ever!

6850 should do you graaaaand. I've got a 600W PSU which is more than ample unless you're gonna be getting 3 graphics cards!
    Be sure to pre-order Battlefield 3 http://bf3nation.com/2010/08/frostbite-2-engine-good-news-for-pc-gamers/ ;)
    Gonna have the best graphics ever!

Do you know when BF3 is going to be released? Sounds good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The GTX 460 is a great card

People talk about ATI and Nvidia, just to remind you that ATI has basically been walking all over Nvidia for the last 2 years.. however the 460 GTX is a real gem

Otherwise you could indeed get the ATI 6850

just go to techpowerup.com to compare the cards, nice graphs there make it very easy

Your i3 won't really hold you back in games, its fine

Get a quality power supply.. not just pure watts.. you can pickup a 750 watt thing for 40 euro that will just be downright dangerous, look for models like corsair etc

A 550w corsair should be perfect for your means

Finally, when you choose an actual graphics card, look up a review of it online, just to check that fans are quiet etc, if it has an overclock etc, there can be small differences like that between reference cards

dwighet wrote: »
    Do you know when BF3 is going to be released? Sounds good!!

November :rolleyes:
    It's set to be the best PC game in years, they've already said that the PC will be the lead platform.

Up to 64 players on PC but limited to 24 on consoles due to bandwidth limitations.

Frostbite 2 engine built for DX11 and optimised for 64-bit multicore processors, will allow for complete destructibility of the entire environment and an incredibly rich experience.

New animation system has been borrowed from EA sports games

Real sound effects of real weapons, fired at differing distance are recorded. Combined with the HDR audio from Frostbite 1.5 that made the sound in BC2 so compelling.

Four remastered BF2 maps including "Back to Karkand"

As the CEO said, "BF3 is going to absolutely blow you away!"

(Also, I am not affiliated in any way to DICE. . . :p )

EDIT: Not forgetting Crysis 2 and Shift 2 which are both coming out next month! This year is set to be a great year for PC gaming. :)

November :rolleyes:
    It's set to be the best PC game in years, they've already said that the PC will be the lead platform.

Up to 64 players on PC but limited to 24 on consoles due to bandwidth limitations.

Frostbite 2 engine built for DX11 and optimised for 64-bit multicore processors, will allow for complete destructibility of the entire environment and an incredibly rich experience.

New animation system has been borrowed from EA sports games

Real sound effects of real weapons, fired at differing distance are recorded. Combined with the HDR audio from Frostbite 1.5 that made the sound in BC2 so compelling.

Four remastered BF2 maps including "Back to Karkand"

As the CEO said, "BF3 is going to absolutely blow you away!"

(Also, I am not affiliated in any way to DICE. . . :p )

EDIT: Not forgetting Crysis 2 and Shift 2 which are both coming out next month! This year is set to be a great year for PC gaming. :)

Crysis 2 next month...thats good as ive just finished crysis and almost through metro so will be looking for something decent next month.....Might even get myself an extra 6870 and go xfire for em...(to be sure to be sure):D

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

One thing I don't like about ATI/AMD graphic cards.... Their drivers suck. They can be good one month and terrible the next, though it really depends on the card you have. I have a HD5850.

Crysis 2 will be worth playing on a GTX460 but not in 1920x1080. Maybe if its superbly optimized. Crytek have a habit of releasing incredibly beautiful games, but I'd say 4/5 people who own Crysis and Warhead have a modified config file to allow to run smoother. It hogs resources like there's no tomorrow.

If Battlefield 3 is anything like Battlefield 3 when it comes out... Your going to need a great system to play. I can see the 64-bit 8GB RAM and Xfire/SLi systems coming out to play on release. Especially with this new improved frostbite 2 engine and what looks like a serious physics technology at work.

Wow... I sound real depressing :o..... But anyway if your going with Intel get a Nvidia card. It is true what they say about those components working superbly together! :D Mind you I have a AMD/ATi setup.

Advertisement