Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

novice needs help

• 30-01-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Im sure theres a thread on this already but here goes anyway, wanna buy myself a bike and travel a bit in the future so can anyone recommend what a first bike should be and what size? was thinking 250 or something like that also how much should it cost and when /where is a good time/place to buy it....thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

What kinda bike do you want? Sporty one, cruiser , commuter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

prob a cruiser something with a comfortable driving position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

dave92 wrote: »
    prob a cruiser something with a comfortable driving position

How old are you?

How tall are you/ how much do you weigh?

will it be purely for long distance travel or commute and weekends?

FYI, Cruisers are generally a posers bike.. you will get bored easily.

hobochris wrote: »
    How old are you?

How tall are you/ how much do you weigh?

will it be purely for long distance travel or commute and weekends?

FYI, Cruisers are generally a posers bike.. you will get bored easily.

28 6,2 88kg and i guess for commute and weekends at first just to get a good feel for it, as you can tell i've no idea what im looking for but it aint for posing i've wanted a bike for quiet a while and im now in a position to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i started with a cbr 125 but that bike would be far to small for you (im 5.8 and i found it a little uncomfortable), a nice restricted 400/600 could be suitable a hornet/bandit/superfour <-(my personal favorite) comfortable commuters bikes and with rental bars they are comfortable to drive for long periods, maybe not as comfortable as the cruisers style bike but would be a lot more fun on the Saturday spins. or you could go all out and restrict a cbr400/600 or similar but if your anything like me the sportier bike might bring out a bit of a hooligan in you, if you didn't fancy getting your bike restricted a lot of the cruiser bikes are learner legal because they fit into the power/weight ratio bracket.

• Advertisement

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    i started with a cbr 125 but that bike would be far to small for you (im 5.8 and i found it a little uncomfortable), a nice restricted 400/600 could be suitable a hornet/bandit/superfour <-(my personal favorite) comfortable commuters bikes and with rental bars they are comfortable to drive for long periods, maybe not as comfortable as the cruisers style bike but would be a lot more fun on the Saturday spins. or you could go all out and restrict a cbr400/600 or similar but if your anything like me the sportier bike might bring out a bit of a hooligan in you, if you didn't fancy getting your bike restricted a lot of the cruiser bikes are learner legal because they fit into the power/weight ratio bracket.

the bandit 600 looks like it could do the job it seems pretty reliable(from what ive read), dont mind if its restricted to start with now to the other questions how much is enough to spend and wheres the best place to buy? ie; private/garage or the UK?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sv650 is a lot more fun than the Bandit600 :pac:

http://donedeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

personally i think you will get a better deal out of a personal adds like from done deal/adverts, but with cash in hand you can get money off anywhere, you would want someone who knows alot about bikes looking with you if your buying something with a few years on it, even if it has a nice sound out of the engine it takes experience to hear that one of the cylinders isn't firing or there is a slight rattle where there shouldn't be.

bandits hold there money so Unless you were into this one - http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/motorbikes/rebuilt-bandit-streetfighter/215867
    you will be looking at 1400 +

now i have no affiliation with either of these adds but just on done deal i noticed this one its not a bandit but its already leaner legal (which could save you €250 in restrictions)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1838398

anyway always make sure you hear a bike starting from cold.. touch the engine before the bloke starts the bike if it's not cold.. wait 10-15 minutes to make sure it doesn't struggle.

Advertisement