Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistico signs with the WWE

• 30-01-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭

Its a rumor that pops up quite a bit, but maybe this time its real?

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/?p=10403

Huge signing for Vince especially when you consider how crucial the Latino audience is.

EDIT.... I am an idiot. Its not the most reliable site compared to the Torch, PW Insider or The Farmers Journal.

So if it is rubbish, apologies in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Alex Kidd

This rumour has been going around for a while. He's the obvious heir to Mysterio, unless they intend to go down the Del Rio route with him.

I like to think wrestling fans are more than intelligent enough to tell the difference between two masked wrestlers. I don't think WWE would agree with me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its a rumor that pops up quite a bit, but maybe this time its real?

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/?p=10403

Huge signing for Vince especially when you consider how crucial the Latino audience is.

EDIT.... I am an idiot. Its not the most reliable site compared to the Torch, PW Insider or The Farmers Journal.

So if it is rubbish, apologies in advance!

Might be mistaken but pretty sure cubsfan is reliable for all things lucha. Would be interesting if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

As far as I can see it's true,and it's about time. Mistico is one of the best wrestlers on the planet and he deserves to be seen by the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If he doesn't come now, he will at some stage, He's done all he can in Mexico as a face and heel and his popularity has plateaued off or even declined in recent years.

There's a ready made spot on the WWE roster for him whenever he wants really, I fully expect WWE to push him hard as Mysterio's protege as Rey's career winds down so they can keep up the merch sales and the Latino market happy.

EDIT: Observer site is now reporting the story with the OP's link as the source which would suggest they see it as legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Alex Kidd wrote: »
    I like to think wrestling fans are more than intelligent enough to tell the difference between two masked wrestlers. I don't think WWE would agree with me though.

Don't worry, they'll just have him be a heel on RAW; so the fans can tell the difference between himself and mysterio :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't doubt for a second we'll see him as a face. I think the kids will buy into him from the get go. WWE have a huge win on their hands with this. The kids will love him if they keep him face, the smarks will be happy to see him on WWE TV and the casual fan will be taken back by what the man can do in the ring. Everything is there for Vince, it's too hard to **** this up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Who is Mistico

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Who is Mistico

Luchadore, the biggest non-WWE draw in pro-wrestling for the last 5 years. He's very very good in the ring and ridiculously popular in Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I have watched Japanese wrestling on You tube and other places, but not mexican so excuse my ignorance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Alex Kidd

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Who is Mistico

Yes. Excellent idea for a viral marketing campaign to introduce him to television.

Of course he won't be called Mistico with WWE's desire to control the rights to his character for merch possibilities and such.

Still though, I very much look forward to seeing Rey Mysterio Jr. Jr. debut soon.

El Hijo de Rey Mysterio Jr.:pac:

Or El Hijo del Hijo de Rey Mysterio.

Alex Kidd wrote: »
    Yes. Excellent idea for a viral marketing campaign to introduce him to television.

Of course he won't be called Mistico with WWE's desire to control the rights to his character for merch possibilities and such.

Still though, I very much look forward to seeing Rey Mysterio Jr. Jr. debut soon.

I don't Vince is stupid enough to blow this by getting him to change his name. He is so well known in Mexico that having his name on the bill will do amazing things for the WWE.

I don't Vince is stupid enough to blow this by getting him to change his name. He is so well known in Mexico that having his name on the bill will do amazing things for the WWE.

I wonder who owns the rights to the name though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I don't know about that, Mysterio and Mistico sound too similar, a name change is probably inevitable. Trying to look at it from Vince's point of view!

Charisteas wrote: »
    I don't know about that, Mysterio and Mistico sound too similar, a name change is probably inevitable. Trying to look at it from Vince's point of view!

I'd assume that with the "star power" and immense popularity that he has, in that he doesn't NEED to sign with the WWE, he'd have in his contract that he keep the name.

From Wrestlezone.com
    The following is a new blog-style compilation of tweets from the official Twitter page of former WWE creative team member Court Bauer:

Mistico inking with WWE continues the trend of shaking things up - that's a good thing. But and it's a big but it's going to be a tough road for the silver masked sensation.

In late 2006, I pushed for WWE to pursue bringing Mistico's talents to Stamford. Vince McMahon had mandated more Latin talent on the show (and rightfully so!) and at the time who fit the bill better than the KING of the Arena Mexico BO - Mistico!

We brought him to our shows and there was a buzz amongst the boys. They knew this guy was legit as did many of us behind the scenes.

Unfortunately, there were key people who found ways to ice a deal: "He doesn't speak English! How's he gonna draw?", "Dang (yes really) he's so SMALL!", "he's gotta work on those punches," "he can't sell because of that MASK?" and on and on.

Here's thing about "change" and WWE - if you want to change things, it starts at the core of the operations, not the secondary, etc. for those very same people who 86'd Mistico in '06 are still there & are still big time players today & their vision remains the same Will they back Mistico all the way? Will the champion him to WrestleMania 30?

Time will tell but one thing is for sure: Given their underperformance, PPV buys, thin roster, etc WWE can't afford to NOT to change.

^^^^

In fairness not speaking Engklish is a major drawback and a lot of lucha guys do have really sh*tty punches. Vince et al are far better at judging who's going to make them money than anyone on the internet ever will be.

flahavaj wrote: »
    ^^^^

In fairness not speaking Engklish is a major drawback and a lot of lucha guys do have really sh*tty punches. Vince et al are far better at judging who's going to make them money than anyone on the internet ever will be.

I believe Essa Rios didn't last long with the WWF because he couldn't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    Vince et al are far better at judging who's going to make them money than anyone on the internet ever will be.

Speak for yourself flah! :pac:
    Now i'll get back to getting this lad on the left re-hired

lod051.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Dunno where to put this but go to wwe.com, theres a thing about them signing Mistico on the home page. They must be mad about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Dunno where to put this but go to wwe.com, theres a thing about them signing Mistico on the home page. They must be mad about him.

Yeah his new name is Sin Cara but they made no joke that he is Mistico.

There's an amazing match waiting to happen when they have him and Del Rio face off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

WWE.com has issued the following press release:

SIN CARA SIGNS WITH WWE

STAMFORD, Conn. – WWE today unveiled their latest Superstar signing, Sin Cara, formerly known worldwide as Mistico. The announcement took place today during a press conference in his hometown Mexico City, where passionate fans of all ages turned out to see their favorite performer become the newest addition to the WWE roster.

Having already forged a strong international fan following, Sin Cara, known for his high flying style and awe inspiring acrobatics, is expected to reach new heights of global success with WWE.

“Sin Cara is a tremendous performer who brings the crowd to its feet every time he steps into the ring,” said Stephanie McMahon, Executive Vice President, WWE. “With us, his stardom will only get bigger and brighter.”

Upon his signing, Sin Cara said, “WWE is the pinnacle of sports-entertainment. It is an honor and a thrill for me to be able to perform with the world’s best. Being a WWE Superstar will present new challenges, new mountains to climb and new competition. It is a new beginning and a new life. With that in mind, I have chosen the new name of Sin Cara in hopes to represent all the legendary Mexican masked performers and to carry the banner of their legacy to the entire world.”

Apprently he'll be bypassing FCW as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Threads merged and a few posts moved from the off topic thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thanks. Didn't see this topic so sorry for making a new one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hopefully he won't end up the same way as Low Ki and end up with fcuk all to do. They really need to push this guy hard as a babyface and get him over with the Americans who haven't heard about him yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

glenjamin wrote: »
    Hopefully he won't end up the same way as Low Ki and end up with fcuk all to do. They really need to push this guy hard as a babyface and get him over with the Americans who haven't heard about him yet.
    With Ray rumoured to not signing a new contract after the current one that expire this summer I'd say it is most likely a fair bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

glenjamin wrote: »

The incentive to push Mistico isnt the same for Kaval. They have wanted Misitco for at least five years, at one time Mistico was a megastar draw in Mexico and WWE wants to penetrate Latin America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

I'd love to see them push him hard.

Maybe a mid card feud & Intercontinental or US title win. Then straight into a feud with Del Rio (who i assume will be WH Champ after WM).

Well thats what i'd like to see right off the bat. There's no reason NOT to push him. He'll be popular with kids if they build him up the same way as Rey Mysterio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I could even see a story were he's paired with Ray and Ray mentor him against the big bad guy (Del Rio) who keeps beating him down (with a few Ray saves thrown in for good measure). It gives a chance to do a hand over from the old hero to the new young hero in a good way and makes the transition easier from a story perspective as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

how appropriate when he actually signs we are at the last round in the draft and he eligable anyway

Smoshi wrote: »
    I
    Well thats what i'd like to see right off the bat. There's no reason NOT to push him. He'll be popular with kids if they build him up the same way as Rey Mysterio.

He is not used to American style and cant speak English are two possible reasons

drayme wrote: »
    He is not used to American style and cant speak English are two possible reasons

You are right but imo....

I doubt he still cant speak any english, he was in negotiations before and id imagine he has known about the interest for quite some time so he should atleast be able to understand a far bit of english by this point if he has any interest in learning at all. He isnt going to be cutting any great promo's for a while yes but let his in ring ability do the speaking for the first while and although yes he isnt used to the style im sure him and Del Rio/Mysterio can have a chat about how he might adjust his approach. I'd also imagine that it wouldent be long before he is in a program with one or both these men if he was to debut anyway quickly and with them atleast given their styles and a lack of a language barrier he could put on great matches while adjusting to the US style and language on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just looking at a few videos of him, I've never seen anyone look like they weigh less than a feather! Bloody hell, the way he flies about is incredible. This move st 1:34 is brilliant!

You are right but imo....

I doubt he still cant speak any english, he was in negotiations before and id imagine he has known about the interest for quite some time so he should atleast be able to understand a far bit of english by this point if he has any interest in learning at all. He isnt going to be cutting any great promo's for a while yes but let his in ring ability do the speaking for the first while and although yes he isnt used to the style im sure him and Del Rio/Mysterio can have a chat about how he might adjust his approach. I'd also imagine that it wouldent be long before he is in a program with one or both these men if he was to debut anyway quickly and with them atleast given their styles and a lack of a language barrier he could put on great matches while adjusting to the US style and language on the road.

He only very recently took English lessons.

The thing about Del Rio is that he was a heavyweight luchadore so the transition is easier as it is a similar style of working outside of working the opposite side of the body and what he still struggles in working a lot more stiffer/tighter in the States.

The light heavyweight/junior style has a steeper learning curve. Rey in wrestling circles is known as a wrestling prodigy due to picking it up so fast. I dont known if you can completely teach something like that. Add in that Mistico is known as a diva and an asshole I just dont known.

• Advertisement

He only very recently took English lessons.

The thing about Del Rio is that he was a heavyweight luchadore so the transition is easier as it is a similar style of working outside of working the opposite side of the body and what he still struggles in working a lot more stiffer/tighter in the States.

The light heavyweight/junior style has a steeper learning curve. Rey in wrestling circles is known as a wrestling prodigy due to picking it up so fast. I dont known if you can completely teach something like that. Add in that Mistico is known as a diva and an asshole I just dont known.

as i said you are right, but im keeping a positive outlook and hoping he will be as good as he can be for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

whats the differences in the type of wrestling too the american wreslting. do we really need a masked wrestler

cena wrote: »
    whats the differences in the type of wrestling too the american wreslting. do we really need a masked wrestler

need no. But has another masked wrestler the ability and talent (same thing really) to make us want another, yup. 100%

imo the WWE needs to do this, pick up the best they can from Mexico (Del Rio), Japan and The Indies (Daniel Bryan) while they try to build their own stars. There is no territories left nor real competition in the states and the WWE consider themselves a worldwide promotion, or atleast that seems to be the popular view so should make sense.

as i said you are right, but im keeping a positive outlook and hoping he will be as good as he can be for now

Personally I thought the Mistico-WWE story would end when he would be asked to scrub the jacks in FCW like the rest of the trainees or something. This fast track and the conference took me by surprise. Im kind of slowly readjusting. :pac:

Personally I thought the Mistico-WWE story would end when he would be asked to scrub the jacks in FCW like the rest of the trainees or something. This fast track and the conference took me by surprise. Im kind of slowly readjusting. :pac:

Rey Mysterio's potential loss and the impact that would have on the latino market for the WWE always meant that wouldent happen in my mind. It's the same reason Del Rio would have to f up somehow to curtail his push imo as he clearly has the talent.

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »

Lots of hispanics in the US.

WWE wants to break into Latin Markets.

Small masked wrestlers are extremely effective when marketing Wrestling to children. Characters like Rey and even Hornswoggle operate as surrogates for little children. The child see themselves in those characters and the bigger bad guy heel as the bully they encounter in the playground in real life. This was the psychology that made Mistico a success in CMLL in Mexico as child paid to see him vanquish the bully heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Just looking at a few videos of him, I've never seen anyone look like they weigh less than a feather! Bloody hell, the way he flies about is incredible. This move st 1:34 is brilliant!

Sweet zombie jesus :eek:

JRsBBQ Jim Ross
    Sin Cara already in LA working on wwe launch date. Not sure what brand that he lands. My guess would be Raw but that's speculation. TBD.

Raw is interesting as that style is a lot more vibrant and exciting when you are watching it LIVE as we have experienced with Evan Bourne. But on other end of things there is no safety net if you mess up.

Being on a separate brand from Rey and Alberto for the time being at least is interesting too. Then again if they want him to be seen as a major superstar out of the gate there is no better place than the A show.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

oh jesus I hope wwe just wind him up and watch him go. Get him in there with daniel bryan hopefully. or punk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Was reading about him in Power Slam. He's 5ft.7in & 175lb & apparently does a much better 619 than Rey.Hasn't got any english so thats something he'll have to correct immediately.With his size they'll have to pick his opponents carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Great, more 619's.... 'cos we don't see enough of those! :rolleyes:

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Looks fantastic in that video, but will WWE let him perform his full move-set, or will he be restricted? Remains to be seen.

My guess is that he will start off on Smackdown to get him settled in first before putting him on live TV every week.

I would like to see him starting off against opponents more of a similar style, Chavo Guerrero could be an ideal first feud. I doubt WWE would immediately place him in a feud with Del Rio just because they are both Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

15_SinCara_PC.jpg

Really excited to see Mistico in WWE. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but the build up of Sin Cara has been very positive so far. If this means he will wrestle at the next WWE show in Dublin then I will be there for sure.

He had a fantastic but short lived run as a Rudo in last year. CMLL got cold feet and turned him back into a Tecnico, which soured me on Lucha for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

They'd be smart to get him on the card for Wrestlemania might bump the hispanic buys a little

Him v Rey would be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That hurricana turned armbar move looks fecking epic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement