Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop cat killing birds

• 30-01-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

My cat keeps killing birds - not vermin - birds. I've lived with cats for years yet I've never had a cat so apt at bird-killing. The bell around his neck makes no difference. What can I do please?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I found the bells didn't work either back when I had outside cats so we got them ID tags as well and they made a lot louder jingling sound. Both cats had two tags on because they had their microchip tags as well. No more dead birds after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Try adding two or three bells to the collar, one can be nestled in the fur and the noise muffled, but the more bells the more noise. I had the same problem with my own, and as he has a long coat the bell on his collar was lost in the scruff of his neck, but now he has a total of 3 bells he can't creep up on the birds in the garden. Most pet stores sell packs of extra bells for under €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Agree totally with Shinikins. We had the same problem and thats how we solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Kill the cat J….. Just kidding……. On a serious note more bells

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

Thank you so much for the advice everyone. The cat now has two bells and a name tag:D Am trying to upload picture on this but things looking dodgy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

:) if kids hear him coming they will think it's Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

That is one pretty cat!!!

One of the pro's to adding more bells is that i can hear Muffin coming from a mile away! Usually when i go out to call him in for his dinner i'll be able to hear "ching ching ching ching ching" along the walls in seconds!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Arm the birds......

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Pete the tv3 vet had a article on the breakfast show with a cat bib

http://tv3.ie/ireland_am.php?video=33395&locID=1.65.74

According to Pete the the cat pounces it goes down and then lunges pushing the bib up in cats face blocking line of vision for a few seconds. the link is self explanatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

A bell worked for me when my neighbours had pet doves and my cat wanted to eat them all :eek: so yeah, try more bells :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

That bib is ridiculous. I have a hunter here too, two really, but only on consider birds as magnets. But I don't put collars on my cats at ALL after one of them got it caught in a fence and almost strangled himself despite it being so called 'quick release.' Instead I now regulate the hours they are out, natural feeding times like early morning or when birds are bedding down, dusk, I keep my animal inside and so far they have not caught a bird in almost two years. Mice and rats however are taking a pasting.

That bib is cruel! A cat would hate that.

I tried to put a collar on my cat cos she went missing once (when she was 4 months old) but she kept taking it off so I gave up. If I had one that was killing birds all the time then I'd do something about it, but mine hardly ever hunt, I've seen only two birds in the past year that they caught and one or two mice. And they hopefully only catch the weak/sick birds because they're not very good hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

If you seen the clip with Pete the cat did not hate it why do you say its cruel when it does not impinge the cats movements.

BTW how do you keep bells on cats without using a collar?

Surely killing birds for fun is cruel when they are fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Redr wrote: »
    My cat keeps killing birds - not vermin - birds. I've lived with cats for years yet I've never had a cat so apt at bird-killing. The bell around his neck makes no difference. What can I do please?

Virtually all cats are killers, and many don't stop at birds and kill baby rabbits and all sorts of vermin.

Were you not aware of then when you got a cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

edwinkane wrote: »
    Virtually all cats are killers, and many don't stop at birds and kill baby rabbits and all sorts of vermin.

Were you not aware of then when you got a cat?
    To be fair, many cats may only land a kill once every so often, so if he's not had an elite hunter before, he probably wasn't expecting this number of kills.

Most cats will be disinterested in doing much killing if their bellies are full. But they will hunt for sport on occasion, and if the cat is good at it, he'll enjoy it more and so do it more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Sure, some cats are more prolific killers than others. But they are virtually all killers, and even keeping them in at night or changing their feeding patterns does not, in my experience, do much to change their nature.

golden8 wrote: »
    If you seen the clip with Pete the cat did not hate it why do you say its cruel when it does not impinge the cats movements.
    QUOTE]

Well I'm pretty sure my cats (and most cats) wouldn't put up with the bib. Only if they were very laid back, or used to it from a young age. A lot of cats won't even tolerate a collar. It's not cruelty I guess, but it would annoy most cats I think.

And I don't think all cats are killers. If they're old, fat, lazy or young then they might not be. Or if they have any kind of disability. Only one of my 5 cats hunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Traonach wrote: »
    How do you know if it's cruel if you haven't tried using it?. I'm going to order a few and try it on my cat. Cruel!! It's better than him killing birds and I don't want to keep him in the whole time. It's worth a try...

Have you seen it? The cats legs would be hitting off it when it walks?

Also it flips up in the line of vision as the cat jumps....imagine your cat on the wall about to jump and that flips up, could easily slip and break something.

Stupid product.

Traonach wrote: »
    How do you know if it's cruel if you haven't tried using it?. I'm going to order a few and try it on my cat. Cruel!! It's better than him killing birds and I don't want to keep him in the whole time. It's worth a try...

Well you're right I've never tried that, but I'm sure my cats would go mad if I put that on them. It looks really annoying.

As other people said, a collar with several bells usually works, so at least try that, cats would more likely put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

That bib is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. :mad::mad: I would never put that on my cat.

I would rather try more bells. Or be sure that there is no one feeding the birds near by. I'd love to feed the birds but between my cat and dog the birds wouldn't stand a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Do people not find that with bells, the cats are going nuts trying to pull them off the collar to get rid of the jingling that's following them around all the time???
    Ours have collars I've had to take the bells off...they were going absolutely nuts (to the extent of making themselves sick), trying to catch the bells and pull them off with the jaws and paws. It's weird, but there you go!

Two of my cats had bells on and they didn't seem to mind them. But the dogs had toys with bells so they suddenly thought the cats were toys :)

Advertisement