Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having trouble downgrading to ofw 3.55, NEED HELP PLEASE

• 30-01-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey guys, i wanna update to ofw 3.56 so i can play online again. iheard if i just update from geohotz cfw3.55 to ofw 3.56 ill just brick my ps3. i dont want that. i tried just installing the ofw 3.55 from a usb but just comes up as "no applicable update found" anyone know how to get back to the ofw from cfw? thanks again guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hey guys, i wanna update to ofw 3.56 so i can play online again. iheard if i just update from geohotz cfw3.55 to ofw 3.56 ill just brick my ps3. i dont want that. i tried just installing the ofw 3.55 from a usb but just comes up as "no applicable update found" anyone know how to get back to the ofw from cfw? thanks again guys

It's not really the same as a downgrade procedure, more of a re-installation. Have you tried installing the OFW via the recovery menu? This is of course assuming you've got the directory structure correct on your usb stick (usb:\PS3\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.pup)

Edit - go from CFW 3.55 to OFW 3.55, then to OFW 3.56 to be safe. There's reports of all kinds of things happening, mostly down to human error but you never know. An OFW update might look for something not present in a CFW & cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's not really the same as a downgrade procedure, more of a re-installation. Have you tried installing the OFW via the recovery menu? This is of course assuming you've got the directory structure correct on your usb stick (usb:\PS3\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.pup)

Edit - go from CFW 3.55 to OFW 3.55, then to OFW 3.56 to be safe. There's reports of all kinds of things happening, mostly down to human error but you never know. An OFW update might look for something not present in a CFW & cause problems.

i have the srtucture correct but it still gives me that message. and how would i do it from the recovery menu?

and thats what im trying to do is to go from cfw to old ofw then to new ofw

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
    2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
    3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
    4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
    5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
    6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Source

It's option 6 in the Recovery Menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

Source

It's option 6 in the Recovery Menu.
    its updated and all, thank you so much saved me a lot of time.
    Rep +1

its updated and all, thank you so much saved me a lot of time.
    Rep +1

I helped you update to 3.56, it's not really a thanks you owe me :p Anyhow, glad to be of help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

You can still play online with 3.55, using the dns trick, not black ops tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

iPwnage wrote: »

too late. OP did the update already. No way back from 3.56 (for this moment)

I wouldn't expect that to last much longer, the DNS trick always works for about a week after an FW update but that's about it.

It's the end of the road for folks who were using both PSN & CFW benefits. From now on, it's likely you'll have to choose one or the other. You can still downgrade from 3.56, but the console is stuck in service mode as the signed self file is now not in the whitelist. So frankly you'll need a nand programmer to do it right.

CFW will likely remove the new key calls in the future, but it will not run on anything past 3.55 due to a new key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

It's the end of the road for folks who were using both PSN & CFW benefits. From now on, it's likely you'll have to choose one or the other. ...

And I will be happiest man on the earth if it will stay like that. It might help preventing to what happened to jtag hack on xbox, all devs left it because the whole lobbies and other game modding for points, expierence etc.

Cheaters = loosers :P

Agreed, modded consoles have no business online imo. Unless fail0verflow & GeoHot release that trasure trove of theirs (I know Geo can't now), there will be no cfw that works with PSN. Even if there was, the rootkit now runs code for PSN authentication, any hiccups will be easily noticed by Sony.

I'm delighted to be honest, we can now concentrate on the actual firmware rather that "lulz i haz psn sonie got pwned" :rolleyes: God some of the other forums really make me question people sometimes :p

• Advertisement

Why not Black Ops?

Works perfectly for me.

Why not Black Ops?

Works perfectly for me.

Some Black Ops players have had their consoles permabanned from the Activision servers...I think the reason is clear (cheating/pirating/both)

Are you still on PSN with CFW 3.55?

Some Black Ops players have had their consoles permabanned from the Activision servers...I think the reason is clear (cheating/pirating/both)

Are you still on PSN with CFW 3.55?

I am still on CFW 3.55 and using DSN for Black ops, never had a problem yet.

I know PSN wont last forever, but when it goes ill just get a new PS3 for my black ops, or ill get a new Xbox and sell my black ops on Adverts or ebay.

I am still on CFW 3.55 and using DSN for Black ops, never had a problem yet.

I know PSN wont last forever, but when it goes ill just get a new PS3 for my black ops, or ill get a new Xbox and sell my black ops on Adverts or ebay.

Oh really? I'm surprised the dns trick is still working after this long, they prob won't bother the normal securing methods though for much longer. I'd say the login authentication check will dispell the need for any other measures.

Advertisement