Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricians-unemployed

Options
  • 30-01-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

what are you doing now? how long are you out of work? are you even looking for sparks work?

im qualified and am doing odd jobs, but going back to college doing services engineering

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

managerman wrote: »
    what are you doing now? how long are you out of work? are you even looking for sparks work?

im qualified and am doing odd jobs, but going back to college doing services engineering

I dont think you will get many responses to this.

If I was out of work and unemployed,then the last place I would be saying it is on the internet.

To me,such a matter would be a personal matter and not for the entire internet to know my situation.

But thats just me,maybe others are happy to say that they are out of work or being made redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

seems to be a good bit of work about

making a living is tough-materials cost a fortune now if you're trying to work to a good standard

- labour only if possible these days

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think you are right retraining/upskilling. Going back to college is much less of a chore than you would expect (speaking from personal experience).

The most important thing is to select the right course. If you pick the wrong one all of your effort will be a waste as you will not get a decent (if any) job from it. IMHO first look at the areas that have employment. Talk to a few agencies, see what type of people they are looking for. Use this as a basis to pick the right course.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Post removed, due to discussing union/rates etc.

Thank you.
    Regards
    Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

2011 wrote: »
    I think you are right retraining/upskilling. Going back to college is much less of a chore than you would expect

I couldn't agree more.

I've done many courses over the years and I've always found that employers are very impressed when they see staff, or potential new employees at interview, who are continually upskilling.

In the past I have seen CV's come into our office for electricians in their 30's with all formal education finishing at senior trades. And then we receive cv's from some with additional city & guilds certs, technician diplomas, instrumentation and PLC courses etc... No prizes for guessing who gets hired.

Best of luck with your studies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

How does that work now that semester 2 has started? If you are doing it part time, what way are the exams done?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Thank you.
    Regards
    Stoner

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thank you.
    Regards
    Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

pieface_ie wrote: »
    How does that work now that semester 2 has started? If you are doing it part time, what way are the exams done?

its bridging modules that i am doing first and then its 2 years full time in september, doing mon-thurs at the moment, so i can do any odd jobs during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads remember no talk if unions/rates etc here please. Read the charter forums and in some users cases read back over PMs I have sent.

Remember if there is an issue with a thread with respect to the forum guidelines please PM a Mod.

I assume that the OP is looking for ways to productively keep him/herself engaged in something relevant to the trade. So keep this on track please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

no talk of unions lads!!!

yea well im starting up this week, looking forward to it..

its through the labour market activation scheme.. is there a recent thread on here where people can talk about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

its through the labour market activation scheme.. is there a recent thread on here where people can talk about it?

There is a few lads in my class on that scheme, alot of them have hassle with exam results and connecting to the course online resources.

Hopefully they will have all the problems ironed out by the time you start in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

no talk of unions lads!!!

exactly, you can talk about them and talk about rates and unions on boards, just not in this forum. There is a place for such discussions on boards, but this is an electrical help forum.

Advertisement