Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Today

• 30-01-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Went into Town and tried my hand at Street Photography, if Street Photography is walking around and shooting what you see..

As this is not what I usually shoot would love some feedback...please!

5401709633_7d712fc2fc.jpg
    sod_8725 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

5402102632_088ca25d7f.jpg
    sod_8717 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

5402125460_c1f136cc0e.jpg
    sod_8740_1 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

More can be seen on my Blog here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I like the second image, the badges. Very eye catching, super dof and composition. Could make a good stock photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

My feedback come as someone with zero experience i nstreet photography apart from admiring some of the shots by the experts here.

1 - Personally i would have gone for a wider view, see what is around the guy a bit more (probably just boring buildings, but it might give it more punch)

2 - really cool shot

3 - I like it, just would have preferred the pole on the stall to be more to the left and not cutting the girl in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Love the badges...the third one has potential, but perhaps (as already mentioned) would need a different PoV. The first one doesn't do anything for me at all...maybe if there was more space on the right hand side to 'see' what the guy saw...?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

Black & white tends to work better for street photography, try converting and see what results you get. Would like the see the one of the auld boy sitting outside with the pint in b/w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

5402139437_eccaa2a545.jpg
    sod_8755BW by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Hey, I really like these, colour treatment especially, though #1 is a teeny bit tight, and I'd like for you to have shimmied around to the right and recomposed #3.

Good job though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The guy in the first shot is the same fella that's in Trigger76s' thread on Temple Bar Trad Fest!! Third pic, with red guitar in it.

Poser!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

good photo of the old man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

love the second pic. its really visual and catches your attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There are variations on "street photography".. I'd think the main ones would be "journalism" and "art".. you've got examples of both.

When the two mix.. it tends to either be really crap, or really wonderful. :)

I really dig the artsiness of the pins on the corkboard.. lots of color, the odd angle, and the DOF really add up to a nice image.

the other two you've got awesome exposures.. maybe even well-done HDR, but the subjects both leave me a bit flat.

Going through the other stuff on your blog, there's definitely some nice stuff. If I had to guess, I'd say you were shooting with some nice fast prime lenses, but not exclusively?

I'd say my favorite is the one with the great big mallard (person in a costume), although I think I'd like it better with the two people furthest to the right cropped out. Maybe bring it down to just the heads on the mallard and the young man. (well..his lapels would be hard to get rid of without cutting of the duck's bill!)

If you're a "compose with the lens; cropping is for pussies" kind of guy.. please don't be mad at me! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

All pics were taken with a 85mm 1.8 on a d700, I limited myself to one lens because I am aware that I spend too much time changing lenses and missing shots, good to be back here and getting positive and constructive feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the badges is by far the best in my opinion - street photography is about originality, and to me without knowing you , that says more than the others which are a bit cliched - good street photography doesnt have to be b&w , if it is original and colour - far better- - you are right using a prime, and not a zoom , safely hiding from harm , or any potential backlash - if you do it, IMO you have to be ready for the backlash , and say what your doing , rather than running home with your secrets snaps - next time try a 50 mm , 1.8 is fine if you have one

the purty one is good too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Badges & Purty Kitchen shots are the ones which work for me too.

The first and third shots I find the subjects to be too central. A crop on the left of the first one can improve things a bit.

Good to see you trying new things Fergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I like the badges , I thing the comment about being too central is spot on , rule of thirds an all that. Thumbs up on the badges shot !

Advertisement