Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ladies chest protection

• 30-01-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I'm looking on ebay for chest protection for my wife but am not sure which type to get her. There seems to be two main types:
    This MMA one
    and this karate one

Its for HanMooDo so she will need it to be comfortable or not get in the way when throwing and grappling. While she is not going to compete any time soon, she might in the future which will mean the strike are full contact so the guard will have to be able to take a decent hit. So what would the women on here recommend? Is the one labelled as MMA very good ? Are there others that would be recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Unpossible wrote: »
    I'm looking on ebay for chest protection for my wife but am not sure which type to get her. There seems to be two main types:
    This MMA one
    and this karate one

Its for HanMooDo so she will need it to be comfortable or not get in the way when throwing and grappling. While she is not going to compete any time soon, she might in the future which will mean the strike are full contact so the guard will have to be able to take a decent hit. So what would the women on here recommend? Is the one labelled as MMA very good ? Are there others that would be recommended?

Hi mate, the 'MMA' one is one that our girls use in kickboxing, watch out for marketing.
    They are considered top class for kickboxing anyway and are approved for use by AKAI. I would say they would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NattyRasher

Hi,

I've been doing kickboxing for 4 years now and when I started sparring I began wearing a chestguard like the MMA one. While it does protect your breasts there are a few disadvantages to this type of "cup" protection:
    • Only protects the breast area
    • the cups move about and can be pushed around if given a good punch or kick
    • You need to always wear the proper sports top that they come with to keep them in the best position on your chest
    • they can cause some bruising around the outline of the cup if you take a strong hit.
    I have been wearing the second type (Karate) for over 3 years now and now most of the female students in our clubs wear them. they are made by a company called QP Sports from New Zealand.They offer several types but the two with most protection are one goes into a sports bra type top (MaxiGuard) as you have a link to above and the other has straps already attached (EconoGuard). The advantages of this type of chestguard:
    • Protects not only the breast but also sternum and ribs
    • Moves about less, very little with the straps
    • No bruising from outlines of cups
    • You don't have to wear another layer of clothes with the chestguard that has straps (EconoGuard)
    • When warm from wearing they can be moulded more to fit the shape of your body
    I order mine through a fencing company (www.pbt-uk.com) as it was the only place I could get the strap type one and they deliver to Ireland at a very reasonable price. If you do decide to go ahead with it and have any questions about sizing just let me know. :)

Advertisement