Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire VS Galaxy s

Options
  • 30-01-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

ok so there seems to be much controversy over which is the better phone so hopefully this thread will sort it all out :D

here is the comparison by carphone warehouse http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/aspx/ProductComparison.aspx I might add that they dont state weather or not the galaxy s has wi fi or bluetooth I can confirm it has both. in my opinion the galaxy s is better due to a bigger screen, a better processor and 8gb or 16gb internal memory, also I find the galaxy s much easier to use. imo its apparent throughout the carphone warehouse comparison that the galaxy has everything the desire has and more.

which is the better phone galaxy s or htc desire 11 votes

htc desire
    0% 0 votes
    samsung galaxy s
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Desire is so much better for normal user, galaxy needs modding to work properly. Nexus S is best option, samsung hardware without samsung software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

What about the HTC Desire HD - it has a bigger screen?

My vote would be for the HTC Desire HD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

might get some more useful discussion over on the android forum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

srsly78 wrote: »
    Desire is so much better for normal user, galaxy needs modding to work properly. Nexus S is best option, samsung hardware without samsung software.

Such as what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Who cares which is 'better'? Choose one and be happy with it.

EDIT: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

it does not really need modding it comes with froyo 2.2 pre installed what i think you mean is there is not many apps installed when you first get it, I prefer this though as I get to pick which apps go on my phone and im not stuck with a load of pre installed crap that id never use. also the point of the thread is to help people decide which to buy as many people are asking this question so with a poll combined with the comments on this thread they can come to a quick decision

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unless you have personally used both handsets the voting will go according to ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

good thinking people should state what phones they have used first, me well ive used the xperia x 8 the desire and wildfire and now own the galaxy s. I only used the wild fire very briefly seems ok but not great screen resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Unless you have personally used both handsets the voting will go according to ownership.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I have owned both, and other phones since, and my biggest regret ever was selling my HTC Desire, so I signed up with eMobile recently and got a brand new HTC Desire again. Delighted to be back using it.

Take this from somebody who pointed out the greatness of the Galaxy S to everybody last year when comparing the 2 phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I have owned both, and other phones since, and my biggest regret ever was selling my HTC Desire, so I signed up with eMobile recently and got a brand new HTC Desire again. Delighted to be back using it.

Take this from somebody who pointed out the greatness of the Galaxy S to everybody last year when comparing the 2 phones!

What was the difference? I've used both and I can't think of anything that made the desire stand out as better other than the flash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Basically the Desire is far more stable with apps, the Galaxy S even with Froyo was very troublesome and sluggish and the other main thing is just personal choice, but I prefer the HTC Sense to Samsung Touchwiz.

I know I could use other loaders etc and did that, but for an out of the box feel, the HTC always won hands down for me.

Oh, some other small things also. The Desire feels nicer to use, feels better built. Also, I didn't like the flap over the micro usb port on the Galaxy S. Saw 2 people with Galaxys end up getting that damaged.

The other thing I found at the time was there were far more guys creating cooked ROM's for HTC compared to the Galaxy S and as I like to try various firmwares, that was a small drawback also, but I am not saying the Galaxy S is a bad phone!! I'd gladly use one again, and probably will sooner or later when I bore of the Desire again :) !!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I voted Desire.

Every one of the six people I know who has a Galaxy S has seen the phone slow down with usage. The only solution is to use a third-party tool to replace Samsung's chosen file-system and linux core with something that actually meets requirements for a mobile phone.

This is what the earlier poster means by "need to mod it". There's a hack that replaces the broken parts of the phone software, but you need to find it, download it and then live with having no warranty.

For people who bought the phone after reading up on the internet, this isn't a big deal. For people who bought it after just playing with one in the shop, and for whom it's not an "Android phone", just a "nice phone", this is a major problem because neither the manufacturer nor the operators provide an official fix.

The problem is progressive too - after a couple of month's usage (email seems to be worst to provoke it), the whole system slows to a crawl.

For this reason alone, I will always advise people not to get a Galaxy, no matter how good the numbers on its spec sheet might be. Most people need to actually use these things, not spend their days dicking around "tuning" them...

Advertisement