Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you punished for being left-handed at school?

• 30-01-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just watched The King's Speech (decent film btw) and there's a piece which links being forced to write right-handed with a stammer. And it got me thinking, I was mildly punished at school for being left-handed before my stubborness came through. :D

Were you punished for being left-handed at school? 67 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    22% 15 votes
    No, I was born normal.
    77% 52 votes

Comments

No, I'm too young for that. My grandfather was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Yep!
    "If it ain't right, it's wrong!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, because i'm right handed.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

my mother used to get the edge of a metal ruler across her knuckles for writing with her left hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've no idea, but I do a lot of things, except writing, with my left hand (laugh it up mother fuckers) so maybe when I started writing I was forced to use my right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Nope, I'm normal.
    Plus, it wasn't legal when I was in primary school 11-6 years ago.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Endlessly ridiculed - I wrote like a gimp and couldn't use a scissors - thinking back I still cry myself to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

baz2009 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm normal.
    Plus, it wasn't legal when I was in primary school

It wasn't legal when I was at school either, hence why it was fairly mild. It's just the ridiculousness of it all that made me post.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kn0ckers

ya a few times... my father try change me to right when i was young.. didnt work tho.. were better than them anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I was punished for hittin' on me History teacher!

Not punished by her unfortunately :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nope. They never said anything me for being a an awesome left hander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They hated lefties here because we are on average more intelligent and freer thinkers, something the Church didn't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

manual_man wrote: »

Was she too old and feeble for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

no,and ive never found it to be a hinderance(bar a bit of smudging when writing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

RichieC wrote: »
    They hated lefties here because we are on average more intelligent and freer thinkers, something the Church didn't like.

The English word "sinister" originated from the Latin word "sinistra". "Sinistra" means "left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

manual_man wrote: »

She wasn't into the kinky shít?

RichieC wrote: »

Well thats a load of dicky. I'm left handed and I'm thick.

*I did go back and make the "I's" capital just to make myself look smarter though"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Was she too old and feeble for that?

late twenties, blonde, and FOXY AS F@#~

Sorry to disappoint...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

seanybiker wrote: »
    Well thats a load of dicky. I'm left handed and I'm thick.

*I did go back and make the "I's" capital just to make myself look smarter though"

on average! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Yes I was.............but the unfair thing was , I was right handed:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

My husband and brother (same age, different countries) were forced to write with their right hands. My brother says he had it 'beaten out of him'...ah, sixties Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The french teacher that I had in secondary was taught to teach right handed by the nuns but she could still use the left. One day at school, she just decided to use her left and we were all left sitting with :eek: and :confused: faces.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nope, although I've heard of it happening to people younger than me in different schools.

Scissors were a pain though and my handwriting always got smudged at school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

No I'm right-handed (for most things anyway.) But I was happy to find out that left-handed people were being persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Yep i remember having a ruler broken over my hand at the ripe age of 4.When they sussed i had a decent left boot and could run like the wind they backed off.School glory meant a lot to them then

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup, I was made write with my right hand, then punished when my writing wasn't neat enough. I still write with my right hand, but am left handed with everything else, oh and that was in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

My mum told me that one of her older sisters, had her left hand held behind her back and was forced to write with her right hand!!

ixoy wrote: »
    Nope, although I've heard of it happening to people younger than me in different schools.

Scissors were a pain though and my handwriting always got smudged at school.

yeah i used to hate using the pens with the marker kinda nib on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Nope never punished at school, but did need to turn my copybook 30 degrees clockwise in 6th class in Primary school when we started using fountain pens instead of pencil so my left hand would not smudge the ink.

I write with my left hand.
    I am right eye dominant. Not sure if other lefties are both
    left handed and left eye dominant or not.

When I was doing fencing I held a french foil with my left
    but a heavier rapier with my right.

Spoon/paintbrush/toothbrush/Stanley blade, shaving all held with left.

Remote control, texting while holding a phone, scissors, knife, hammer, shooting a gun, computer mouse are all right hand.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Maradona, Messi and Giggs are all lefties

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

had my hand tied to back of desk (the old heavy ones) and hit on each side of the face until I tried to use my right (I was 4.)
    It was the only time my mother ever questioned "the holy nuns."

I am on a personal crusade to ban the use of the word citeóg for left handed which is from the Irish word for "awkward."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I wasn't myself but when I was in 5th and 6th class the headmaster would poke lefties hands while they were writing and get them to write with their right hand. Needless to say, its hard to write with your right hand when you are used to writing with your left. He punished people with extra homework if he thought that writing was messy with the alternate hand. :confused: SO mean!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

They tried beating my dad to use his right hand but it didn't work (they should've tried harder!:p)

I'm not a ciotóg myself but I used to try to write with my left hand sometimes when I was younger, no idea why...also used to mimic a stammer coz some of my older cousins had them, I thought it was cool.

I was a strange child:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

My sister was hit by a nun a few times for writing with her left hand. She walloped her across the back with one of those long wooden pointers. My father went up to her and told her in front of the class that he'd shove her pointer up her hole if she ever went near my sister again with it. She was an evil b!tch

My godfather was, he's my mam's brother. He's left-handed but writes with his right hand as he was forced to in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

My Aunt was born left handed.

She was an exceptionally talented oil painter, she simply became ambidextrous, which I'm sure annoyed the old penguin bullies no end!!!

:P Go my Aunty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

no.

was punished for being stupid though.

your third option is 'born normal'???

GTFOutta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah my father got beaten in school to try and make him stop. What stupidity and it's *only* 30/40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

no. not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I had my left hand beaten with a hurl until I was right handed.I now have two right hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

OP can be shortened to "are you old"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm a leftie and no, I was not but I'd say the school had changed its policy not too long before I was there as it was the very beginning of the 1980s.

I know a guy just a couple of years older than me who was forced to use his right hand until his parents complained and they stopped.

They tried to force my Dad to use his right hand too but they didn't succeed. Forcing left handed people to use their right hand is incredibly damaging and not only destroys self esteem but can cause brain damage.

The religous backward f*ckers have so much to answer for in their collective cruelty to children. :mad: All because of thier need to force people to conform to some bull**** religious mumbo jumbo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

No I wasn't. Tho I did break my left hand once when I was a kid and I was all excited about going in to school the next day as in my previous experience kids who broke their hand didn't have to do any schoolwork that involved handwriting.

So next I go up to the school teacher and proudly display my broken hand in its cast and point out that I won't be able to do any writing for the foreseeable future.

Her reply? "Use your right hand!".

So for the next 6 weeks or so instead of having it easy I instead had to struggle to learn to write again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I was never punished for being left handed but #I was often given out to for having a tiny left handed scrawly writing :)

My dad was left handed but had his arm tied behind his back until he learned to write with his right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i was ambi-dextrous once... but forced to use the right hand :(

fecking nuns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

bullets wrote: »
    but did need to turn my copybook 30 degrees clockwise in 6th class in Primary school when we started using fountain pens

I was luckily excused from using fountain pens (to this day, I still can't write with them.)

I was never punished at school though (my father, whenever we given or seating places in school, I always had to ask to be let sit on the left hand side of my neighbour, because when sitting next to a "righty" often meant that while writing, we would be a hindrance to each other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

5 of the last 7 US presidents have been left-handed, apparently. That's what happens when you don't keep the southpaws down - they take over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I hate Nuns, evil Penguin armies.

Enemies of innocent citeogs. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Mid-Nineties I was in Primary school teachers couldn't hit us but used more devious techniques. Every Thursday afternoon was knitting day, boys and girls, 1st Class, naturally being a leftie it was difficult for me to co-ordinate my right-hand (there is a left-handed technique but it wasnt shown). In 2 weeks everyone was knitting but me, after that I was sat in front of the class every evening until I got it. I never did, my mom eventually told the teacher to stop.

Still I was seperated and displayed in front of my class as being awkward and incompetent. If I only knew then what I knew now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nope, before my time. My Grandad was though, but because he learned to write with his right hand he's ambidextrous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement