Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you punished for being left-handed at school?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

yup I was forced to write with my right hand but I still kick with my left foot I feel like some super mutant freak

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

superfish wrote: »
    yup I was forced to write with my right hand but I still kick with my left foot I feel like some super mutant freak

I thought attitudes to homosexuality had improved :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Nope! I'm a lefty but was never punished for using it. I think that happened way before my time, I'm only 19 :rolleyes: It's a mad to think that people were hurt for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

No I'm right handed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I hate Nuns, evil Penguin armies.

Enemies of innocent citeogs. :mad:

I'm right-handed although I always text with my left. I can text much faster than if I use my right hand.

I was really cack-handed at crafts at school and the oul' bitch of a teacher (not a nun, but a really horrible hag nuntheless (!))... we had in sixth class looked at my handiwork and asked if I was a citeog. The real lefties in my class were always much better than me at crafts so I don't know what she was shíting on about...

I think citeog is a horrible-sounding word!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

5 of the last 7 US presidents have been left-handed, apparently. That's what happens when you don't keep the southpaws down - they take over!

citeogs out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Back then ireland needed to dragged into the next century; the 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

had my hand tied to back of desk (the old heavy ones) and hit on each side of the face until I tried to use my right (I was 4.)
    It was the only time my mother ever questioned "the holy nuns."

I am on a personal crusade to ban the use of the word citeóg for left handed which is from the Irish word for "awkward."

Is it any wonder the country is a basket case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Never for using the left hand (mother was though, ruler across the hand for her she's still a lefty so it never worked.) Did get into trouble/punished for other equally stupid reasons however.

On the other hand, pun intended, it's painful to watch a hurler lead with the left. Just looks so feckin awkward :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I wasn't but my father was - well I don't know if he was punished as such but he was forced to write with his right hand anyway. His handwriting is absolutely atrocious as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xuan xuan

Was never punished in school.

The only thing I was made to do right-handed was to use a knife, by my Mam, like wot proper people do in restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I am right-handed and when at school I played a lot of GAA, I play hurling left sided.There was a priest at the time who this used to upset and at training he used to try and get me to hold the hurley with my right hand and play right-handed. His fix was that I would stand in a corner of the field and "cut the daisies", literally swinging the hurley on the right side and cutting the heads off daisies and buttercups. This continued for a few weeks until I told him to fcuk off and let me do it my own way.

Funnily enough his madness worked as I became proficient in hurling and striking with either side.

My All-Ireland medal makes me proud and always reminds me of this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I wasnt as I went to primary in the 90's and it was all kindsa illegal then.

My dad went to a Christian brothers school in the 30's tho and his hand was mangled from what they used to do to him :( misplaced bones and everything that weren't properly treated after the beatings he used to get for being a leftie. He was forced to write with his right hand an did so for the rest of his life-his writings shockin tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

Was forced to use my right. Now I write like a doctor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Stories about left handed children basically being abused into writing with their right hand upset me and anger me.:mad: And to think that this abuse went on right up to the 1980s - Ireland of course being generations behind other civilised countries.

F*cking religious b*astards - yet another thing to hold against these child abusers. Ireland was truly a backward country mired in a theocracy and all its mumbo jumbo rubbish.

Problem is, most schools are still religious owner and run and this is simply not acceptable.

I'm a leftie and proud of it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

ArtSmart wrote: »
    your third option is 'born normal'???

GTFOutta here.

It was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm right-handed although I always text with my left. I can text much faster than if I use my right hand.

I was really cack-handed at crafts at school and the oul' bitch of a teacher (not a nun, but a really horrible hag nuntheless (!))... we had in sixth class looked at my handiwork and asked if I was a citeog. The real lefties in my class were always much better than me at crafts so I don't know what she was shíting on about...

I think citeog is a horrible-sounding word!

har har har !!!!! ;):p

Advertisement