Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne on XBLA: 5.75GB?

Options
  • 30-01-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Went to download Max Payne while it's on offer for 600points, and it says that it's 5.75GB. Is this not highly unusual? I thought the limit for XBLA games was 2GB. Thought I'd get Max Payne 2 too, and it only weighs in at 1.66GB. Is something going on here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Went to download Max Payne while it's on offer for 600points, and it says that it's 5.75GB. Is this not highly unusual? I thought the limit for XBLA games was 2GB. Thought I'd get Max Payne 2 too, and it only weighs in at 1.66GB. Is something going on here?
    XBLA is the XBox Live Arcade which doesn't include the Games On Demand titles like Max Payne and as such isn't restricted to the 2GB limit that other arcade titles are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Ah, the difference between xbla and games on demand, I understand now, thanks for clearing that up! Still seems like an unusually large size for an xbox original game, especially when compared to it's sequel.

You're certainly correct with regards the file sizes. I only have the PC versions to go by but the original weighed in at a little under a GB when uncompressed whereas the latter was around 1.5GB. While that leaves the sequel in line with the XBox version, the original seems horrifically oversized. Perhaps FMV was used for cutscenes which were done in-engine on the PC?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The PC cutscenes were a mixture of ingame engine and the cool comic book style. I thought Max Payne on the xbox was a mess with the game levels having to be broken up due to memory restrictions on the xbox? I must have completed the PC version about a dozen times, what a game.
    No idea about the XBox version myself tbh, I've only played the PC version (repeatedly) too. The FMV issue is all I can think of to explain the difference in filesizes though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

And just to add that i'm pretty sure Microsoft have since removed size restrictions altogether for XBLA games to allow more freedom for developers

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    And just to add that i'm pretty sure Microsoft have since removed size restrictions altogether for XBLA games to allow more freedom for developers
    Unfortunately not. The filesize limitation has certainly increased to its current 2GB limit but it has not been removed. A recent example of this is Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath which is only being released on PSN at the moment due to, according to the developers, said filesize limit on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Ah sorry, you're right. Apparently its due to a technical limitation: http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/102/1028055p1.html

They should sort that out even if its rare that games go over 2gb (although maybe developers are holding back because of this)

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Ah sorry, you're right. Apparently its due to a technical limitation: http://ie.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/102/1028055p1.html

They should sort that out even if its rare that games go over 2gb (although maybe developers are holding back because of this)
    I'd be amazed if that was really true to be honest, the wording just seems completely silly. I'd certainly expect it to increase over time although I do like the fact that they impose a limit every once in a while.

Advertisement