Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part time versus full time

Options
  • 30-01-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me with this. my questions is " how many hours does a part time employee have to be work to be considered full time " i am currently a part time employee and the past year or more i have been averaging between 30 and 40 hours per week. this week iv worked 42 hrs and just finished an 11 hour shift today. from reading other pages, its says that a part time employee is someone who would not do similar work to the full time employees. even though i am a part time employee i do all the same work as the full time employees. only difference being that i do a lot of the late shifts, i open and close the building and when the full time or "senior staff" or not working and i am, i am considered the "senior staff" im just really confused as to how i can have a lot of responsibility and work the same hours as a full time staff member and yet be only considered part time...:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why is it relevant?

Are there some benefits or training that full-timers get, but part-timers don't?

IMHO, permanent vs fixed-term vs casual is far more relevant than pt/ft. Lots of people mix the terms up though, and think that it's not possible to be permanent and part-time ... which it definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

gotcha09 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me with this. my questions is " how many hours does a part time employee have to be work to be considered full time " i am currently a part time employee and the past year or more i have been averaging between 30 and 40 hours per week. this week iv worked 42 hrs and just finished an 11 hour shift today. from reading other pages, its says that a part time employee is someone who would not do similar work to the full time employees. even though i am a part time employee i do all the same work as the full time employees. only difference being that i do a lot of the late shifts, i open and close the building and when the full time or "senior staff" or not working and i am, i am considered the "senior staff" im just really confused as to how i can have a lot of responsibility and work the same hours as a full time staff member and yet be only considered part time...:confused::confused:

Part time is not working a full week i.e Monday to Friday 9/5 etc . You could say work Monday, Wednesday and Friday or only work less hours and put in the hours that way or work only a few hours a day whereas full time works the full week. Once you have worked up the required hours then you are entitled to the same rights as a full time employee. You need to find out exactly how they class you part time . As for being classed as Senior staff, this could be because of the number of years you have worked there or your experience . Either way you need to find out off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Part time is not working a full week i.e Monday to Friday 9/5 etc . You could say work Monday, Wednesday and Friday....

I know some nurses who do three 12 hour shifts a week. At 36 hours/week, I'd hardly call 'em part-timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Tell us what part time is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I would class part-time as working anything up to to about 17 hours. Full time as 35 hours+. I worked (permanent part-time) 20-30 hours a week on average for years, usually 23, to me that is not stricpart-time. It's just in-between. Part-time should mean substantially less than full-time, half or less. I don't think 9-5 has anything to do with it, flexi and full-time people in that job worked 37.5 hours in shifts like 8.30-5, 11-7.30, 10-6, 7.30-4...that doesn't mean it's not full time.

OP, your job sounds like you're flexi- crappy shifts, same hours as full-timers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Who is a part-time employee?

The rights of part-time employees in Ireland are protected in law through the Protection of Employees (Part Time Work) Act 2001. A part-time employee in Ireland is defined in the Act as "an employee whose normal hours of work are less than the normal hours of work of an employee who is a comparable employee in relation to him or her". A comparable employee means a full-time employee (of the same or opposite sex) to whom a part-time employee compares himself/herself. A part-time worker no longer has to have 13 continuous weeks' service and no longer has to work a minimum of 8 hours per week in order to qualify for protection under the Act.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/part_time_employment/part_time_workers.html

Advertisement