Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gay Byrne not wearing seat belt on Wogans ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Having waded through all 7 pages of this, all that came to mind was the following:

duty_calls.png

Seriously, Joe Duffy, criminal prosecutions, hoping for crashes, over a a screenshot of an (albeit sanctimonius) old man in a car???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You could put that in 50% of the threads on boards tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

-Chris- wrote: »
    You could put that in 50% of the threads on boards tbh...

hmmm.... I'll be back on a couple of hours, have the kettle on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I never said it was illegal, I said Kerry council advise!

You said
    the driver of the car in first episode driving ring of Kerry in wrong direction

I merely pointed out you were incorrect. The driver was perfectly correct in driving in the direction he took.

As for the open invitation for the RSA to discuss items on Boards? Some people are getting a little too full of their own importance. Boards is but one small forum, of many, and is, in no way, representative of the motoring public.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats true, if it was we would all be driving with our fogs on (in perfect weather) in the fast lane at 100km/h :)

I think boards motors forum highlights exactly the problems in the lack of education and proper enforcement out there by highlighting such issues as the above.

Meaning those that have been here long enough would be perfectly qualified to discuss such issues with the RSA.

I'd happily be able to nominate 5 people from here I would have no issue in discussing such matters with the RSA on my behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Gay doesn't need to wear a seat belt, in the event of a collision Gay is protected by his aura of smugness.

Large hard-on collider? :pac:

As for the RSA making the roads safer, my arse. If you think blaming everything on young male drivers and wasting shedloads of money on sexist "he drives, she dies" campaigns, amongst the other drivel over the years, is progress - you need your head checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Large hard-on collider? :pac:.
    fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Gophur wrote: »
    You said .

I merely pointed out you were incorrect. The driver was perfectly correct in driving in the direction he took.

i meant in the wrong direction as advised by kerry council...

not illegal but dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭celica1994

Ah sure. If gay byrne has an accident in his car and isnt wearing his seatbelt, it will be the young drivers in ireland that he points the blame at, lets just forget for a min that the mans a giant hypocrite, head of the RSA and he openly admits to drink driving home every night from rte years ago? -

http://www.studentsmart.ie/blog/2009/07/i-drank-drove-home-from-late-late-says-gay/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

celica1994 wrote: »
    Ah sure. If gay byrne has an accident in his car and isnt wearing his seatbelt, it will be the young drivers in ireland that he points the blame at,
    ??
    celica1994 wrote: »
    lets just forget for a min that the mans a giant hypocrite, head of the RSA and he openly admits to drink driving home every night from rte years ago? -

http://www.studentsmart.ie/blog/2009/07/i-drank-drove-home-from-late-late-says-gay/
    What exactly does his having driven drunk years ago have to do with his work for the RSA now? People change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

+ id say a good 50 percent of people drank and drove years ago, regularly now its probably down to 5 percent. something the rsa can partially be thanked for.not condoning gay for doing it though.

+ id say a good 50 percent of people drank and drove years ago, regularly now its probably down to 5 percent. something the rsa can partially be thanked for.not condoning gay for doing it though.

5% is very optimistic, while it has come down I doubt its that low, being from a rural area its clear to see that drink driving is still an issue. I rarely visit the local pubs but even I know the people who still drive home drunk from the pub in this day and age.

I and others have reported them yet nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gaybos seatbelt front page news tomoorow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

IRELAND’S high-profile road safety guru, Gay Byrne, has been left red-faced after being filmed wearing his seatbelt incorrectly.

The veteran broadcaster and head of Ireland’s Road Safety Authority appeared to let the safety side down when he joined fellow broadcasting veteran Terry Wogan for an episode of Terry Wogan’s Ireland, a BBC series where Mr Wogan explores how the country shaped him.

In the episode, screened on Sunday night, Gay and Sir Terry are filmed in the rear of a Mercedes S-class car being driven around Dublin. While both men’s belts appear to be secured, neither is placed across the chest as it should be. Both hang vertically, rather than diagonally, with Gay’s belt in an off-the-shoulder mode which various safety groups have said poses a danger to the passenger and other travellers.

Responding to news that his appearance had prompted hundreds of comments on online discussion forums, Mr Byrne said he was certain he was wearing his seatbelt.

"This was filmed months ago and in very cramped conditions. I have a tendency to hold onto the seatbelt — I don’t know why but that is just the way it is… We were in and out of the car several times going from the GPO in Dublin to a hotel in Ballsbridge.

"I think most people are smart enough to know that this was not a real-life situation."

Mr Byrne was relaxed about the number of people who had commented on his gaffe. "I have been complained about every day of my working life. My final word is to be sure to wear your seatbelt."

Asked to comment on the issue the Road Safety Authority issued a stark one-line statement: "The wearing of a seatbelt is the law and it is the advice of the Road Safety Authority that it should be worn at all times when travelling in a vehicle."

Mr Byrne’s appearance on the BBC documentary is not the first time the wearing of seatbelts has been raised by a TV programme.

The British animation company Astley Baker Davies were recently forced to re-animate scenes from a popular cartoon series after its lead character, Peppa Pig, was shown not wearing a seatbelt. "We were very naive when we started making Peppa," said company co-founder Mark Baker. "If we could turn the clock back, we would," he said.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/home/do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do-gaybo-caught-wearing-seatbelt-incorrectly-143899.html#ixzz1ChKrAfTO

"I think most people are smart enough to know that this was not a real-life situation."

Patronising old git!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I trust certain posters are they themselves wearing proper restraints, because the lofty positions they currently occupy on their high horses could lead to some nasty injuries were they to fall flat on their..........

OMG Gay Byrne not wearing seatbelt

bst0020l.jpg

Must post on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭HappyHouseWife

Senna wrote: »
    I wouldn't cry if that car hit a brick wall at 100kmph.

No, but Dave might!

So driving 3 or 4 kms across town is not a real-life situation? I must remember that next time I deliberately don't strap the kids in driving them to school.
    Gaybo needs to gogo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Were they on the feckin Star Trek holodeck? Otherwise how is it not a "real-life situation"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

They were only pretending to be driven around Dublin, whilst sat in a car being driven around Dublin. T'was only telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

It’s a well-known psychological trait that someone
    will mimic another person they are with if they like
    or admire that person. It’s pretty obvious Gaybo is mimicking
    Wogan in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Hope he goes over this. Can't stand the patronising self important smug little sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

"This was filmed months ago and in very cramped conditions.

It was a fecking S class. Is Gay's ego so big that he gets driven around in a Maybach?

smug wa*ker
    bitter wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is a small man with a huge chip on his shoulder cos he wasn't born british.
    afatbollix wrote: »
    Gaybo your a prick
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    What a smug tool

Seriously lads??

Down with these sort of comments (seriously).

furtzy wrote: »
    Hope he goes over this. Can't stand the patronising self important smug little sh*t...

See you in 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well fair play, its about time we got a mention in the national media. We are too long being the watchdog of society and do we get recognition for it?:D. Seriously though, as chairman of the RSA he is urging us to think and do road safety, and he above anyone else should set an example, and so should be under scrutiny.

He's not making himself look good with the real life situation and the comment about most people being smart enough.

Boards.ie in the media again, is it online or in the printed version too?

To be fair, afaik we're only mentioned on thejournal.ie, and that's a part of the boards.ie media empire anyway... :p

To be fair, afaik we're only mentioned on thejournal.ie, and that's a part of the boards.ie media empire anyway... :p

Hmmm......sounds like an ATWR promotion opportunity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I hope everyone here emailed the RSA with a complaint I did and here is the reply.

Dear Mxetyurt,

I acknowledge receipt of your e mail. I have forwarded a copy to Gay Byrne.

It is inappropriate and potentially dangerous to wear a seat belt in this manner and the Chairman regrets that this occurred.

The advice from the RSA is to always wear a seat belt and to ensure that it is worn correctly.

Regards

Noel Brett
    Noel Brett
    CEO

E-mail: [URL="mhtml:{077AF0DF-208D-4CE4-9418-5E0E0BD944FE}mid://00000106/!x-usc:mailto:noelbrett@rsa.ie"]noelbrett@rsa.ie[/URL]
    Web: www.rsa.ie

I really hope he stands down after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I hope everyone here emailed the RSA with a complaint I did and here is the reply.

Dear Mxetyurt,

I acknowledge receipt of your e mail. I have forwarded a copy to Gay Byrne.

It is inappropriate and potentially dangerous to wear a seat belt in this manner and the Chairman regrets that this occurred.

The advice from the RSA is to always wear a seat belt and to ensure that it is worn correctly.

Regards

Noel Brett
    Noel Brett
    CEO

E-mail: [URL="mhtml:%7B077AF0DF-208D-4CE4-9418-5E0E0BD944FE%7Dmid://00000106/%21x-usc:mailto:noelbrett@rsa.ie"]noelbrett@rsa.ie[/URL]
    Web: www.rsa.ie

I really hope he stands down after this.

Oh for the love of god !!!!
    I wish you'd step down fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gaybos attitude afterwards is worse than the offense. Not real world my arse. He clearly thinks he is exempt.

Advertisement