Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting in the Dun Laoghaire constituency

Options
  • 31-01-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Please do not vote for Mary Hanafin/Andrews.

Lets locally not let these people who have been responsible for the disintegration of the local and national economy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

So who is running in the constituency?

Barry Andrews
    Mary Hanifan
    Sean Barrett
    Eamon Gilmore
    Richard Boyd Barrett

Who else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Don't forget Ivana Bacik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Please do not vote for Mary Hanafin/Andrews.

Lets locally not let these people who have been responsible for the disintegration of the local and national economy.

If that's your thinking (and it's not a bad outlook IMHO), please add Boyd-Barrett to your list for boycotting. His policies are equally unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Barry Andrews
    Mary Hanifan
    Sean Barrett
    Eamon Gilmore
    Richard Boyd Barrett

Mitchel-O'Connor
    Bacik
    Cuffe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I welcome a thread discussing the election, but don't just post up "Don't for X/Y". Give reasons for/against. It'll provide a much more interesting discussion that way. And no direct camaigning (that said, candidates are more than welcome to pop in and respond to posts and answer questions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

All the random independents have disappeared. Can't say i'm particularly fond of any of the candidates that are running though..

The only one who i'v seen actively doing anything in the area ( Up for correction ) is Boyd-Barrett trying to get the 46a back through the Farm. All the rest, imo, only emerge around election time.

As part of today's Fianna Fáil front bench reshuffle, it was rumoured that either Hanafin or Andrews would move to Dublin South as part of being offered the position of Deputy Leader, but following her appointment as Deputy Leader this afternoon, Hanafin has confirmed that both are still running in Dún Laoghaire.

Risky move by Fianna Fáil if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Arriving by parachute anytime now!
    Don't forget Ivana Bacik.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    As part of today's Fianna Fáil front bench reshuffle, it was rumoured that either Hanafin or Andrews would move to Dublin South as part of being offered the position of Deputy Leader, but following her appointment as Deputy Leader this afternoon, Hanafin has confirmed that both are still running in Dún Laoghaire.

Risky move by Fianna Fáil if you ask me.

Denied by Hanafin on "The Right Hook"

I'm starting to think Andrews has a better chance than Hanafin. She utterly failed in education IMO, making no real progress despite the huge budget increase, class sizes are bigger than ever, schools are still unbuilt and un-refurbished, education costs have risen hugely, most of the eduction budget is now swallowed by wages.

She then got booted into the "dept of fun" and has really done nothing since except defend the party at every chance.

I sincerely hope that RBB does not get in, he is a really dangerous character at times, disregarding the law to promote ridiculous and dubious causes.

Cuffe has little chance due to the backlash against the greens, I'm still a supporter of the green agenda but the way it was implemented by the green party, through tax and little else, was the wrong way to go about it. I don't understand some of their supposedly green policies, for example how a green party can possibly be against an incinerator in Dublin.

Labour, Gilmore is pretty much guaranteed IMO, though if people took proper notice maybe not. he's done little but cause agro and take cheap shots recently, there doesn't seem to be much proper solid policy and ideas from him. The RedC poll reseults on Sunday reflect this I think, people aren't so sure of labour anymore.

Dunno much about either of the FG's, Barret send a good bit of propoganda around, never noticed of heard anything about MMo'C

1 Labour, 1 FF, 1 FG and a close run between Bacik, RBB and FG for 4th seat.
    No 5th seat anymore remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know some life long FF supporters that have recently realised how much Mary Hanafin gets from her TD/minister/teachers salaries and pensions, yet has actually done zero of any note.

I think her days may be numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

with the lack of credible candidates i think i may actually run.

RBB is a tool and is anti everthing, one of these guys that opposes everthing but when questioned can not give a alternative suggestions.

So would you vote for me?

ted1 wrote: »

list yer policies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ted1 wrote: »
    with the lack of credible candidates i think i may actually run.

RBB is a tool and is anti everthing, one of these guys that opposes everthing but when questioned can not give a alternative suggestions.

You already have my no. 1

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Londonite

For the first time in my voting life, I have absolutely no idea how I am going to vote in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown. Having always (probably a bit petulantly) voted for everyone except FF and SF, I find neither the FG nor Lab candidates impressive in any way. I have no faith that FG, led by Enda Kenny, will be any different from FF. I expect them to get busy appointing their buddies to various quangos once in office and to continue to spend all of their time telling us none of this is of their making and blaming FF. I admire Boyd Barrett's ceaseless work on the DL Baths but do not think that is any reason to vote for a candidate to be part of a national government to run our country. Can there any benefit in voting for independents at a time like this when we need a cohesive government? FG and Lab seem to be to be quite at odds on various issues. Am leaning towards hoping for a minority FG government supported by independents but only because it seems like the best of an extremely bad lot. On bad days, I think that if an EU/IMF candidate stood, I would vote for them. How sad is that? Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

That's what it says on his election posters.

How can you trust a name?

I presuming he's referring to the fact that he is a son of David Andrews who represented Dún Laoghaire from 1965 to 2002 and his uncle, Niall represented Dublin in the European Parliament from 1984 to 2004, having been a TD for 10 years.

His cousin Chris, the FF TD in Dublin South East is a son of Niall Andrews.

So basically Barry Andrews is saying we're part of this great dynasty and that's why you should elect me.

I'm not voting in this constituency but that sounds like a fairly poor pitch to me.

Moved from Dublin County South.

Happy to take the thread back whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

But Mary Hanafin is always there when she is needed to dish out the medals at the local schools sports day!
    That's why my brother in law is voting for her anyway!
    And it's why she will be in last place on my ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

vallo wrote: »
    But Mary Hanafin is always there when she is needed to dish out the medals at the local schools sports day!
    That's why my brother in law is voting for her anyway!
    And it's why she will be in last place on my ballot.

She is not even a consideration as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

hobochris wrote: »
    She is not even a consideration as far as I'm concerned.

I just get immense satisfaction from putting her last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Like or hate her(and most people hate her, and I don't blame them especially after the last month of her equivocating and being basically two faced), she has the best work ethic of any Minister I've ever seen. Fairly good debater when she isn't sitting on the fence too.

I hope RBB, Bacik and the FG Councillor who just screams "WONT SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN??" don't get in. Other than that, I'm entirely apathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

For me it definitely wont be Fianna Fail, it can't be Bacik so no labour either, nor boyd barrett either. Also never voting for this green party for as long as I live. Other than that it's all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

If I were a betting man I'd put a lot of money on RBB taking the last seat..

1. Gilmore
    2. Barrett
    3. Hanafin
    4. Boyd Barrett

I'm still undecided, but it certainly won't be anyone FF,FG,LAB..

Independents are Victor Boyhan and Carl Haughton. Any others?

Are Sinn Féin not running a candidate in DL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'm considering voting Boyhan because he's the only candidate running to ever call to my house. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have sent canvassers but have never actually put the candidate in person out.

Fianna Fail aren't even worthy of consideration while I'm in two minds about Sean Barrett while the last thing we need is yet another teacher in the Dail-Marie whatsherface.

Labour seem to abandon my area of the constituency completely when out canvassing which pisses me off no end as I'd consider giving Gilmore my number 1 otherwise. I won't be voting for Bacik anyway due to her insistance on gender quotas in the Dail.

Are Sinn Féin not running a candidate in DL?

Rumours going around are that Sinn Fein made an agreement with Boyd Barrett not to run a candidate in Dun Laoghaire in order to avoid splitting the far left vote.

To be honest I don't think SF would have had the slightest chance of being elected in Dun Laoghaire. There are some working class areas around Sallynoggin, Ballybrack and Monkstown but on the whole its pretty middle class who wouldn't be SF voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

154802_176581315695028_110764678943359_545565_7944042_n.jpg

Nicholas Crawford is running as an independent candidate in Dun Laoghaire and is associated with other independents in Newvision.ie.

He says: "Rights of Married or Unmarried Parents: I believe in equal rights for all parents whether married or not. Guardianship decisions should be made jointly and both parents should be named on the birth certificate. Exceptions only in cases where a court decides otherwise is in the best interests of the child or other parent or both".

Are there any other candidates out there making similar calls? I can't vote for him cause I live in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Gilmore 1
    Boyd-Barrett 2
    Independant
    Independant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

After another appaling Debate by Gilmore im actually worreid on his capability to be aggressive and be defensive, in the face of the EU/IMF in the European HQ , in Euro leaders private offices i cant see Gilmore being able to stnad-up and fight for us as well as Kenny or even Martin. Pity there is no viable option for Labour to have a proper enigmatic leader.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Nicholas Crawford is running as an independent candidate in Dun Laoghaire and is associated with other independents in Newvision.ie.

He says: "Rights of Married or Unmarried Parents: I believe in equal rights for all parents whether married or not. Guardianship decisions should be made jointly and both parents should be named on the birth certificate. Exceptions only in cases where a court decides otherwise is in the best interests of the child or other parent or both".

He'll be getting a transfer from me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Still undecided on who to vote for.

Ivana Bacik will certainly not be getting a vote nor will the militant Boyd-Barrett, neither of who I'd ever like to see in the Dáil, both would be an absolute nightmare but Bacik will probably get in via the Cyprian Brady model.

Victor Boyhan looks like a good shot.

Irish Times polled 500 houses and the four that would get their seat based on the results were;

Gilmore
    Barrett
    Hanafin
    Bacik or Boyd Barrett

From the Irish Times;
    Hanafin on track to retain seat.

STEPHEN COLLINS, Political Editor

FIANNA Fáil deputy leader Mary Hanafin is on course to hold her Dáil seat in Dún Laoghaire despite a serious decline in her party’s vote, according to an Irish Times /Ipsos MRBI constituency poll.

The poll, conducted using a sample ballot paper, indicates that her fellow Fianna Fáil TD, Minister of State Barry Andrews, will lose his seat in the constituency which has been reduced from five seats to four since the last election.

The strong showing of Fine Gael across the State is reflected in the fact that the party’s foreign affairs spokesman, Seán Barrett, is set to top the poll narrowly ahead of Labour leader Eamon Gilmore.

The good news for Labour, however, is that the party is well positioned to win two seats in the constituency, with Senator Ivana Bacik on course to make it into the Dáil.

The last seat is shaping up to be a battle between Ms Bacik and left-wing activist Richard Boyd Barrett, and although the Labour Senator is behind on the first count she appears to be getting enough transfers to win the last seat.

Green TD Ciarán Cuffe looks to have very little chance of holding his seat in the constituency and is likely to be eliminated early in the count.

The second Fine Gael candidate, Mary Mitchell O’Connor, is narrowly behind Ms Bacik and Mr Boyd Barrett on the first count and would need to make significant gains over the next week to be in contention.

The percentage share of the first-preference vote won by the candidates is as follows: Seán Barrett 24 per cent; Eamon Gilmore 23 per cent; Mary Hanafin 10 per cent; Richard Boyd Barrett 10 per cent; Ivana Bacik 9 per cent; Barry Andrews 8 per cent; Mary Mitchell O’Connor 8 per cent; Ciarán Cuffe 4 per cent. Six Independents have 1 per cent or less.

Compared with the last general election, the Fianna Fáil vote is down by 17 per cent, the Labour vote is up 16 per cent, the Fine Gael vote up 9 per cent, the Green Party vote down almost 4 per cent and Mr Boyd Barrett’s vote unchanged.

Although Ms Hanafin is only two points ahead of her running mate Barry Andrews, she is more transfer-friendly than him. She will benefit from a strong transfer on his elimination and should take the third seat.

Although Fine Gael has marginally more votes than Labour, the wide gap between Seán Barrett and Ms Mitchell O’Connor makes a second seat difficult to win even though there are strong transfers between them.

The survey was conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week through 500 in-home interviews at 50 sampling points across the constituency. Voters were given sample ballot papers and the margin of error is plus or minus 4.5 per cent. Almost 80 per cent of those polled marked the ballot paper.

There are 14 candidates in Dún Laoghaire, an increase of three compared with the last election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

This is only my second time to vote in a general election, and the first time i didn't really have a clue!

I am at a total loss on who to vote for. It seems they are all to busy going on the radio to interrupt and shout at each other like bold children all the while making no sense (to me at least!), am I to vote for the person who can shout the loudest?

They sh*te on and on about how they are going to do this, that and the other, but that means nothing to me! Not one of them has called to our door to even try lie to my face!

It definatly will not be FF or Greens. FG I'm doubtful, they keep waffling on about this 5 point plan and I have no clue what it is.

So I have a choice of Labour or Independents?

I would have voted SF but they don't seem to have anyone running.
    Richard Boyd Barrett can sing for my vote, I picked him the last time and he's done SFA, seems unless you are a headline grabber he won't help you out. :confused:

I think I'll just vote for Eamon Gilmore because he looks like a teddy bear.........:D:p Just joking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm considering voting Boyhan because he's the only candidate running to ever call to my house. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have sent canvassers but have never actually put the candidate in person out.

Fianna Fail aren't even worthy of consideration while I'm in two minds about Sean Barrett while the last thing we need is yet another teacher in the Dail-Marie whatsherface.

Labour seem to abandon my area of the constituency completely when out canvassing which pisses me off no end as I'd consider giving Gilmore my number 1 otherwise. I won't be voting for Bacik anyway due to her insistance on gender quotas in the Dail.

Rumours going around are that Sinn Fein made an agreement with Boyd Barrett not to run a candidate in Dun Laoghaire in order to avoid splitting the far left vote.

To be honest I don't think SF would have had the slightest chance of being elected in Dun Laoghaire. There are some working class areas around Sallynoggin, Ballybrack and Monkstown but on the whole its pretty middle class who wouldn't be SF voters.

Has Boyhan any policies at all? His leaflet just listed his name, absolutely pointless voting for someone that can't even bother putting their policies on a leaflet. This is the most serious election in most of our lives and to waste a vote on someone who can't even put together a few ideas on a flyer beggars belief. Same with Haughton is it? No info/policies on his flyer.

Bacik may have that view on gender quotas but it's not Labour Party policy so I wouldn't hold that against her.

Boyd-Barrett wants to actively feck up the 46a for the vast majority of passengers so that people in the Farm won't have to walk a few hundred metres - pointless and typical of the anti-everything policies he and his fellow travellers espouse.

For me the FG plan isn't a plan it's a list, there's a huge hole in their finances which is predicated on getting 30,000 public sector voluntary redundancies which just won't happen.

Hanafin is obnoxious, someone who allows their 80-odd year old mother file a claim for €65k against the State for an injured ankle when she's on the money she's on and who also brings her ma on state visits at the taxpayers expense is beyond contempt.

Barry Andrews is now relying on his Da's name to grab votes, can't sink much lower than that.

Advertisement