Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold Problem

Options
  • 31-01-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has been living in a new apartment now for a few months and she's having pretty bad problems with mold underneath a large window in her bedroom.

The landlord got it cleared anyways and when she asked about prevention the landlord said not to use the heater in her room. Seems like pretty bad advice considering its winter and the place can get very cold at night.

Does the landlord have any responsibility to fix the problem all together?

She's been unwell quite a bit lately and I'm convinced its down to the mold coming back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IMO that's the worst thing you can do. We have ongoing problems with damp at one side of our apartment. We gave a dehumidifier which we use everyday all year round except summer if we've a spell of dry weather.

Ventilate the room as often as possible so open the window every morning for a few minutes before heading out. Whenever you're at home open the window. Another good tip we were given was to turn the heating on full blast while the window is open as the mix of jot and cold air is good. Try to do this once or twice a week for an hour or so.

Apart from that make sure there are vents in the windows/walls and they're open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I guess he's thinking that the warm air makes more condensation - it's stupid advice though, cold and damp will still result in mould. She should dry the condensation off the window every day, and having the heat on with the window open for a while helps dry it out. More heat, not less.

Advertisement