Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Vouchers/Irish Ferries - not as good as it sound !

• 31-01-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I logged onto Irishferries.com to book a single outward trip from Rosslare to Cherbourg for 2 adults,travelling by car on 20th February. The price,including cabin, amounted to €168. (I am not planning on bringing the camper over on this occasion).
    I then booked the exact same journey using the Tesco Deal code only to discover that the cost of the trip increased to €202.
    One must seriously question the value of the so called "4 times the value of your vouchers" offer by Tesco.

I should also point out that the following statement in relation to Tesco vouchers appears on the Irish Ferries website:

"Tesco Reward Tokens / Deals Tokens can be used as full or part payment against STANDARD motorist or motorcycle fare bookings on our Irish Sea and Ireland / France services."

As far as I am concerned, the fare for the journey quoted on the Irish Ferries website, ie. €168, is the standard available fare and therefore the value of the Tesco deal tokens should be offset against that price.

I feel that it is sharp practice (to say the least) on the part of Irish Ferries to increase their fares by almost 25% when Tesco vouchers are used in part payment.

Have I calculated these fares correctly and if so, I would welcome other views on this matter.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

I logged onto Irishferries.com to book a single outward trip from Rosslare to Cherbourg for 2 adults,travelling by car on 20th February. The price,including cabin, amounted to €168. (I am not planning on bringing the camper over on this occasion).
    I then booked the exact same journey using the Tesco Deal code only to discover that the cost of the trip increased to €202.
    One must seriously question the value of the so called "4 times the value of your vouchers" offer by Tesco.

I should also point out that the following statement in relation to Tesco vouchers appears on the Irish Ferries website:

"Tesco Reward Tokens / Deals Tokens can be used as full or part payment against STANDARD motorist or motorcycle fare bookings on our Irish Sea and Ireland / France services."

As far as I am concerned, the fare for the journey quoted on the Irish Ferries website, ie. €168, is the standard available fare and therefore the value of the Tesco deal tokens should be offset against that price.

I feel that it is sharp practice (to say the least) on the part of Irish Ferries to increase their fares by almost 25% when Tesco vouchers are used in part payment.

Have I calculated these fares correctly and if so, I would welcome other views on this matter.

cheers.

Like most 'special offers' and 'deals' there is much emphasis on the language used to describe the offer and a great deal of sleight of hand in the outcome of the trick when a Consumer such as yourself delves a bit deeper.
    You are correct and it is sharp practise.
    Does it differ much from a 'now half price' for an item that nobody knows what the full price was in the first place.
    I wouldnt trust them as far as etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Have sent them off an e-mail today asking for their comments on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

cheers.

Sounds like we have a moaner here, who is not satisfied with getting to france for the equilivant of €50 in tesco groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Hi Unfit...
    SWMBO just got off the Irish Ferries site and made exactly the same comment as you. Cheaper not to use the Tesco points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi ShaySue,

I have also just noticed that this matter is currently under discussion on the Consumer Issues Board.

The issues here are that firstly, the description on the Irish Ferries website regarding the use of the discount vouchers as part payment against their "standard" fares is misleading,
    and secondly that other companies participating in the Tesco Club Card deal do not increase the price of their product when paid for by vouchers.

At the end of the day, it is a consumer issue and will only be addressed, if at all, when it is raised by consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

650Ginge wrote: »
    Sounds like we have a moaner here, who is not satisfied with getting to france for the equilivant of €50 in tesco groceries.

OP is highlighting the fact that the deal isn't as good as it sounds.

If you want to contribute can you comment on the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 unhappychappy

Yet again tesco are ripping us off. To book online a return trip to the uk is €332, then priced same journey with my tesco tolkens & behold its €35 more so the €40 I saved in tolkens they robbed €35 of them. When will tesco ever learn not to rob the Irish. Why don't they just go back to the uk & rob they're own. I won't be shopping in tesco anymore, dunnes will be getting my family's custom from now on. I heard that dunnes are against the Irish being ripped off. Very unhappy with tesco or is it irish ferries & stenaline

• Registered Users Posts: 14 unhappychappy

Cheaper if you book your trip with Irish ferries & stenaline online & don't use up your tesco tolkens, you will just be giving them away. Nice 1 stenaline, Irish ferries & tesco just keep ripping the Irish off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

If I have a 335 fare then that is €335 euros you have to pay stena/Irish ferries. So if the same crossing is €375 because you use vouchers then you don't have to give them any euros at all and had you used the same value vouchers if you spend in tesco is €83.75 at the till.

Ok so if you guys are only part paying by tesco vouchers you have problem you will be quoted the higher price and if yo only have €30 in vouchers it will end up costing you €10 I guess, but if you pay for it all in vouchers you don't really lose out.

We travel three times a year and never use any cash. Get a tesco credit card, always use your extra points you get in the mailings.

I am not attacking anyone but like everything you maybe need to I know how to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

In fairness, 650Ginge is perfectly correct. The thing to remember is the 4 for 1 value, not 1 for 1.

We too got a Tesco Credit Card and use it for everything we possibly can (making sure to pay it off each month !!). Amazing how quickly the points build up when used for tax and insurance on 2 cars plus Camper, annual health insurance, house insurance, etc, etc. We rarely do our grocery shopping in Tesco and we always have enough for an annual return trip to France.

Yes the fare is slightly higher but at 4 for 1 we never pay cash for our ferries. If you are short of having enough vouchers for a return trip, pay for outward leg with vouchers and return leg with cash. There is no way you cannot save with this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

dfbemt wrote: »
    In fairness, 650Ginge is perfectly correct. The thing to remember is the 4 for 1 value, not 1 for 1.

We too got a Tesco Credit Card and use it for everything we possibly can (making sure to pay it off each month !!). Amazing how quickly the points build up when used for tax and insurance on 2 cars plus Camper, annual health insurance, house insurance, etc, etc. We rarely do our grocery shopping in Tesco and we always have enough for an annual return trip to France.

Yes the fare is slightly higher but at 4 for 1 we never pay cash for our ferries. If you are short of having enough vouchers for a return trip, pay for outward leg with vouchers and return leg with cash. There is no way you cannot save with this deal.

I thought there was a limit on the amount of vouchers you could use on the ferry.

Advertisement