Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC build help?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So I never got around to this, and now hope to do it for xmas. Just changed net supplier and am eager to kill another bill by getting rid of sky. so, anything big changed in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

well a good bit has changed, amd released there llano range of cpu's (technically apus) which are perfect for htpc' as they have a decent onboard gpu built right on the chip so you'll save on buying a graphics card plus you still have a fairly fast cpu to work with, plus theres been alot of price changes, for better and for worse, hdd's are now 3 times the price they were because of the stock shortage thanks to the floods in thailand.
    just remind us quickly what you need and what's your total budget

as cheap as possible, thankfully my case is back, B299CAL000, which takes a micro ATX, but after that I'm free to see all options. I'd like to add that blackgold tv card, the newer one, to manage my freeview and saorview incoming, and will be running XBMC. I'm not majorly stressed about huge storage in the box, I have two externals running at the moment, 2.5tb, and will eventually expand this into a nas server, but I'm ok for space for now, so just something simple to boot from is all I really need.

would that board, or the pro version of it for a tenner more do the job? I've switched to upc so won't need the wifi card for now, as it will now be beside the router. so I'd just need that motherboard, a case, the blackgold card, and some ram am i right?

• Advertisement

anyone able to tell me if that board is suitable, or suggest a similar build? Want to try order the stuff up for xmas...

bump.

lost the job, then got a new one. redundancy just arrived, and I've just picked up a blackgold 3600 on adverts.

help me spec a build now please?!?!?

Advertisement