Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in a chipper: Order & confusion.[HELP WANTED]

Options
  • 31-01-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Started working in a chip van recently, pay is all good, work is fun, great time there but I'm having one problem.

Six people coming at once I take 2 of there orders my boss takes another order.
    Orders could be as follows
    2 chips, 1 burger no onions, and 2 battered sausages.
    chicken fillet burger, chips, and 3 sausages

Boss takes an order for,
    Reg. Chips, Curry chips, and chicken fillet burger sweet chili sauce

This would be easy going compared to some times.

I've major trouble remembered who ordered what by the time the food is cooked this leads to major confusion when it comes to when the food is done, I'm not even sure if a full order is complete.

Any tips on remembering who ordered what when it comes to multiple orders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have a pad of post-it/sticky notes beside you, scribble down in your own code

2 C
    1 B no O
    2 BS

Stick the note somewhere where it will stay for a few minutes, do the next one the same, stick it after the first. Fill order, check with note, take money, give change, remove note, go onto next one. Hint: if you are taking money (and serving?) and if you can, leave the (for example) €20 out of the note section until you have given the change, if they argue you can be sure it was a 20 not a 50, put note in place, close till.

Let the boss take care of himself. You will probably find your memory for orders will improve considerably as you get used to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You will get better as you get more experience.
    If you think you will struggle, then you probably will, confidence helps a lot

The sticky pad is a good idea and eventually you won't need it.

I struggled a while behind the bar but after a while you'll remember a 10 drink order or even a 15 drink order if you hear it twice.

Ever order a round or something in the chippers and the staff repeat it back to you. That's a very good way for them to remember. Little tip there

So someone orders:
    2 chips, 1 burger no onions, and 2 battered sausages.
    Now you say it back to them, it'll be clearer in your head

If you are taking cash, say or at least say to yourself, change from €50 or change from €20 or whatever.
    I guarantee within a month you'll have a chancer telling you that they were shortchanged. And you might convince yourself you are wrong when you are right!

Advertisement