Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colourful stars & International Space Station

Options
  • 31-01-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I've noticed the last while from looking at stars that they look like they're flashing loads of different colours like Christmas tree lights,I'm just wondering what these colours are ?

Also I'm wondering is this the ISS I'm seeing most nights ?,it's bright white and T shaped when I look through my binoculars coming from sometimes south or south west direction but it hardly moves and does be in the sky for a good few hours,it does move after 2 or 3 hours over to the west.
    From what I've searched the space station is bright white and T shaped but apparently it moves very fast across the sky and the maximum amount of time you can see it for is 5 mins,so I'm wondering what I'm seeing in the sky ?

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

From my limited knowledge of stars the reason for the colouring and blinking is due to the air in the atmosphere defracting the light as it pass thru it.

Correct on the ISS, its moves at a fair pace across the sky, usually about 3 minutes. Its never stationary. Not sure what the static one you're looking at it. Possibly a satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

From my limited knowledge of stars the reason for the colouring and blinking is due to the air in the atmosphere defracting the light as it pass thru it.

Correct on the ISS, its moves at a fair pace across the sky, usually about 3 minutes. Its never stationary. Not sure what the static one you're looking at it. Possibly a satellite?

Thanks for that :) yea I was thinking to myself when looking at all the colours flashing around the star that it was probably somethin to do with the light from it getting bounced around from the atmosphere or something along those lines :D

Probably is a satellite but it matches the exact description of the ISS, this T shaped thing I'm seeing always seems to appear in the south then after a few hours moves over to the west then is gone by midnight or 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

It is definitely not the ISS. I get the "Astronomy and Space" magazine each month from Astronomy Ireland and in it they give the dates during which the ISS is visible over Ireland. From memory I think the next start date is 21st February and it is usually for about 2 weeks. Then a break of a month or so, and so on. If you text "Space" to 57003 (cost €1) during the dates they will tell you the exact time it will pass over.

There may be other ways of getting times, say on NASA or the like but I am not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

CO19 wrote: »
    Probably is a satellite but it matches the exact description of the ISS, this T shaped thing I'm seeing always seems to appear in the south then after a few hours moves over to the west then is gone by midnight or 1am

Any details about this "T" shaped thing :confused:, ie the time it appears and disappears, there isn't anything up there that could be described like that (the ISS just looks like a bright star, you can't make out any "shape" to it).
    Saturn can appear oval shaped through binoculars (or as Galileo mentioned it seemed to have "ears" :)) but that rises around midnight and is visible till sunrise at the moment.
    Mongarra wrote: »
    There may be other ways of getting times, say on NASA or the like but I am not sure.
    Check out This if you input your location it shows everything passing over (for free ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Any details about this "T" shaped thing

I'll guess it's Jupiter seen through ropey binoculars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

It is definitely not the ISS. I get the "Astronomy and Space" magazine each month from Astronomy Ireland and in it they give the dates during which the ISS is visible over Ireland. From memory I think the next start date is 21st February and it is usually for about 2 weeks. Then a break of a month or so, and so on. If you text "Space" to 57003 (cost €1) during the dates they will tell you the exact time it will pass over.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

Probably.

PS, I love your username, I must have spent ages trying to remember and get the pronunciation of the two "zubens" right. :)

It's a clear T shape like a T on its side like this -| the binoculars i have are a good pair so when i zoom and focus it it becomes that clear bright white T shape with what appears to be slight red flaming on the very top of it.
    MRPRO03 wrote: »

That's the sightings times site I use :)

Any details about this "T" shaped thing :confused:, ie the time it appears and disappears, there isn't anything up there that could be described like that (the ISS just looks like a bright star, you can't make out any "shape" to it).
    Saturn can appear oval shaped through binoculars (or as Galileo mentioned it seemed to have "ears" :)) but that rises around midnight and is visible till sunrise at the moment.

It seems to appear around the 5 O'clock mark or when the sky starts to get dark,it starts in the south then after a few hours has moved over to the west then disappears.
    It looks like a really bright star,you can't miss it as it's the brightest thing in the sky then when you look at it through binoculars it's T shaped.
    From my reading of this web site http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/blog/joerao/2009/07/01/how-spot-international-space-station-and-other-satellites
    the ISS is T-shaped which is why I though it may have been that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://www.calsky.com/ Another very good......and FREE site!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's a clear T shape like a T on its side like this -| the binoculars i have are a good pair so when i zoom and focus it it becomes that clear bright white T shape with what appears to be slight red flaming on the very top of it.

That's the sightings times site I use :)

It seems to appear around the 5 O'clock mark or when the sky starts to get dark,it starts in the south then after a few hours has moved over to the west then disappears.
    It looks like a really bright star,you can't miss it as it's the brightest thing in the sky then when you look at it through binoculars it's T shaped.
    From my reading of this web site http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/blog/joerao/2009/07/01/how-spot-international-space-station-and-other-satellites

I've a fabulous expensive set of 15x70 Binoculars. Matters not a jot though after one drops them and knocks them out of collimation.

The directions and timings you mention and the fact you say its the brightest thing in the sky tell me it is without a shadow of a doubt Jupiter that you are looking at.

I could answer this for certain in about 2 seconds flat even if we didn't have your binoculars if I was standing beside you. You'd point at the object and I'd say whether it was Jupiter or not. However you can know for certain by yourself next week. On Sunday 6th the crescent moon will be just to the right of Jupiter(your Object) and on Monday 7th the crescent moon will be just above Jupiter (Your object)

• Advertisement

The brightest thing in the evening sky at the moment is Jupiter (the star Sirius is very bright too but I wouldn't think it's that), it's visible in the SW as the sky gets dark, moves west and sets about 10 o'clock.
    Are you holding your binos by hand? If so try to rest them on something solid eg a wall or a windowsill, keep them as steady as possible.
    It should resolve into the planet and up to 4 points of light lined up alongside or either side of it, these are its moons and I'm guessing if they are lined up right it could (at a stretch) look T'ish shaped with unsteady binos.

If you see the ISS you will definitely know what you are looking at, it is like a very very bright star moving fast across the sky. You won't see any shape to the ISS following it across the sky with binos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Wondering if he T shape is Jupiter with one or two moons sticking out to the side??

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Wondering if he T shape is Jupiter with one or two moons sticking out to the side??

Could very well be but it's as clear as anything T shaped,really annoying me now as to know what for definite am I looking at :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Could very well be but it's as clear as anything T shaped,really annoying me now as to know what for definite am I looking at :confused:

Look at the object with the Bino's. Note the orientation of the T. Now tilt your neck to the right. If the T stays orientated the same with respect to your field of view (ie the T is rotating clockwise as you tilt the Binos right)then its Jupiter and the T shape is caused by your optics being out of alignment. If the T rotates anticlockwise to the left with respect to the FOV then the object is indeed shaped like a T and I have no idea what it could be.

100% sure its Jupiter though.

Calibos wrote: »
    Look at the object with the Bino's. Note the orientation of the T. Now tilt your neck to the right. If the T stays orientated the same with respect to your field of view (ie the T is rotating clockwise as you tilt the Binos right)then its Jupiter and the T shape is caused by your optics being out of alignment. If the T rotates anticlockwise to the left with respect to the FOV then the object is indeed shaped like a T and I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks a million for that,Ill definately try that out tonight and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you text "Space" to 57003 (cost €1) during the dates they will tell you the exact time it will pass over.

This is a complete rip off. There's already a thread on Astronomy Ireland in which they don't come out well.

Follow the other links given or http://www.heavens-above.com/ for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Another very good ISS tracking site is the Real Time Satellite Tracking site. I use it and Heavens Above.

Calibos wrote: »

I tried this and it is Jupiter :D .

What strength lens would I need for a telescope to see Jupiter and Saturn clearly ?

Advertisement