Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students - Hard To Get In?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've applied to four colleges / universities as a mature student, and I am really relying on going back to education this year as the way forward for me.

I'm just wondering, how tough is it to get in? I saw on the news that 14,000 or so mature students are expected to apply, and fear that you could probably knock a couple of zero's off that for the amount of places there are for mature students. So would I be right in assuming that acceptance is going to be nearly impossible?

Is it even unlikely to get an interview / response? (I know it's all relevant to the applicant, but do the vast majority, like 90% not even reach an interview stage, and maybe only 5% get places?)

I'm pretty worried about it as I'm desperate to get into college this year.

Have many people applied before or a few times and not got a place anywhere?

Also, I submitted a copy of my leaving cert results, which were awful (long story) but I have completed a couple of diplomas since.

Are the LC results going to work massively against me? Will the diplomas work massively for me? I've also got work experience in the field I'm applying for, should I be optomistic? I was fairly confident until I saw the RTE report, but now I'm thinking, wow, everyone is doing this, it's going to be extremely tough to get a place... I guess I had just presumed most applicants would get in :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tropics

Hey you sound pretty worried.

I am in the same position as yourself. I have applied to 4 colleges. My LC was dreadful. I was accepted as a mature student before but I had to leave after first year for genuine reasons.

My thinking on the whole mature student application process is that your LC is not the defining factor. I mean there are a good number of people on here who are applying and have never sat the LC. I also met afew people in college who have never done the LC. I think its based more on you life experience.

You mentioned that you have done a few diplomas and have work experience in the area you are applying for. Of course that will stand to you.

I am sure that loads of people have applied but don't count yourself out just yet, you have done the stressful bit in getting all your forms away, now just relax as all you can do is wait.

Think positive and try not to watch the news!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, applying as a mature student will be more difficult than say 5 years ago as the number of applicants is increasing every year. But if you have a strong application you shouldn't be worried.

I didn't get in ANYWHERE the first year I applied as a mature student. Simply because I didn't have a strong enough application and I also wasn't confident enough in my interviews. I spent the 2nd year really looking at ways to strengthen my application and I did this through work experience and a part time course. I got offered my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices in go number 2!! So having work experience and diplomas will stand to you in your application.

I did not get asked once about my leaving cert results. I'm not saying colleges don't look at them. I'm sure they do but they also look strongly at what you have achieved after school.

It is more important now than ever to have a good application. This is why I wrote up the tips on applying as a mature student and stickied them. If you followed my tips you and covered all areas, then you are definitely in with a stronger chance of getting a place at college. Not everyone reads boards ya know. ;)

Best of luck. Try not to worry, hard I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I am a mature student and I have never done my leaving cert.
    Although I have a trade which helped me get onto the said course.

I rang up the head of the department and arranged an interview.

Make sure you have a strong C.V and mention any skills you learned/have that show your interested in the course.

I got the place after the interview.

Your entitled to the BTEA allowance if you were not working for nine months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

you seem like someone who really wants it, so you'll have a good chance of getting in. i go to college with a guy who gets the bte allowance and hes a complete fcuking waster. he never goes in, cheats on assignments and never showed up for the exams at christmas. i hate scum like this who take places from people who actually want to be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

slum dog wrote: »
    you seem like someone who really wants it, so you'll have a good chance of getting in. i go to college with a guy who gets the bte allowance and hes a complete fcuking waster. he never goes in, cheats on assignments and never showed up for the exams at christmas. i hate scum like this who take places from people who actually want to be here.

agree 100% sadly they are the ones who charm thir way through their interview. I've seen so many of them before thats why i think they need to start putting down references from colleges on the CAO even PLC to get rid of this bad element who just want to keep on getting their 188 a week andnot bothr with their study.

• Advertisement

agree 100% sadly they are the ones who charm thir way through their interview. I've seen so many of them before thats why i think they need to start putting down references from colleges on the CAO even PLC to get rid of this bad element who just want to keep on getting their 188 a week andnot bothr with their study.
    Ya there was one of them in my year that joined the other eight of us. Suppose there's always people like that on every walk of life.

It really depends on the college and course being offered I guess. UCD requires letters of recommendations (three for the course I applied to) and TCD likes to see that you've done work experience tc. It might not be the same for smaller colleges or colleges which have a higher number of places for mature students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Larianne wrote: »
    It really depends on the college and course being offered I guess. UCD requires letters of recommendations (three for the course I applied to) and TCD likes to see that you've done work experience tc. It might not be the same for smaller colleges or colleges which have a higher number of places for mature students.

Do you have a link for this? What kind of references, employment references? I didn't come accross anything like this when applying and UCD is my first preference..

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this? What kind of references, employment references? I didn't come accross anything like this when applying and UCD is my first preference..

What course are you applying for? I needed 3 LoRs when applying for Physiotherapy. Some courses ask for one letter of recommendation or 2 references. But there are some courses that do not request any references etc.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/htmlemailupload/File/Admissions/2010_2011/UCD%20MY%20Booklet%202011-12.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I looked up my course there, Economics, I don't need any reference, but apperantly I have to sit a Mature Students Admissions Pathway (MSAP) Assessment...which I did not know about!!

Does anybody know anything about this assessment and what it entails?

Even more nervous now!! It says it's not based on interview but on personal statement and MSAP only??? :eek:

• Advertisement

Yep, UCD only hold interviews for certain courses, not all of them.

Have you looked at the website? http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/

You need to register!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

wow larianne ! i never knew you applied twice , fair play to you for doin it the second year , i dont know if i would have been so keen!

definetly dont worry jackass , you said you have put down 4 choices for college/university , i bet you will get something

definetly do not worry

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

I applied in Jan of 2010 to UCD as a mature student and got accepted and now well underway in my First year of Social Science

I had to sit that MCAP test last Feb.
    It basically involves 2 components
    1. Writing an essay on a given topic
    2. Multiple Choice Questionnaire

You are given 2 hours to complete it.
    I didn't have to complete an interview with UCD either or references!

Good luck

W86indow wrote: »
    wow larianne ! i never knew you applied twice , fair play to you for doin it the second year , i dont know if i would have been so keen!

Yep! Hence my expert knowledge on applying as a mature student. I sent so many emails/letters, posted on forums to get it right the second time. :pac:

I also tell people not to be disheartened if they don't get in first time around. It is tough and you have to work on it. I got offered my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices the second year I applied. (oh I already wrote that above.. ha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Natter1985

Sitec wrote: »
    I am a mature student and I have never done my leaving cert.
    Although I have a trade which helped me get onto the said course.

I rang up the head of the department and arranged an interview.

Make sure you have a strong C.V and mention any skills you learned/have that show your interested in the course.

I got the place after the interview.

Your entitled to the BTEA allowance if you were not working for nine months.
    Im just wondering did you set up that interview with the head of the department in the college of your choice.

I am looking to get into the B.ed course, undergraduate course for Mature students in Freobel. Im getting loads of experience from montessori to primary school teaching and volunteering. would you advice an interview cause I feel im doing enough towards getting into the course,but if there is something else il do it!!

Thanks.

Natter1985 wrote: »
    Im just wondering did you set up that interview with the head of the department in the college of your choice.

I am looking to get into the B.ed course, undergraduate course for Mature students in Freobel. Im getting loads of experience from montessori to primary school teaching and volunteering. would you advice an interview cause I feel im doing enough towards getting into the course,but if there is something else il do it!!

Thanks.

I would advise an Interview, purely because it's more personal and at the end of the day the head of department has the choice of who gets the place.

I just sent an email and asked about the course, then I was asked to an interview.

I was happy enough, I got to skip the whole of first year and go straight into second.

Best of luck with your application.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stacedoll

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I looked up my course there, Economics, I don't need any reference, but apperantly I have to sit a Mature Students Admissions Pathway (MSAP) Assessment...which I did not know about!!

Does anybody know anything about this assessment and what it entails?

Even more nervous now!! It says it's not based on interview but on personal statement and MSAP only??? :eek:

Chill it's not as bad as you think. I was you last year. The MSAP should have been applied for and taken by the end of February. They do not do any repeats, so if you want UCD you may have to wait until next year. The MSAP tests your critical, writing, grammar, and other such skills. There are no right or wrong answers. The only other way to get in, and it seems easier as it gives you a direct entry to a college of your choosing is an Access course. I never did it but allot of mature students I am friends with did and that is how they got accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

My only fear about going to school this year is not being able to afford it. With the grant cuts and the new rule that you are ineligible for grants if you get BTEA is no making me worry that I won't be able to afford to go up there.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    My only fear about going to school this year is not being able to afford it. With the grant cuts and the new rule that you are ineligible for grants if you get BTEA is no making me worry that I won't be able to afford to go up there.
    It's means tested so if you (or if your living at home, your parents) don't have money your fees will be paid.

It's means tested so if you (or if your living at home, your parents) don't have money your fees will be paid.

Thanks Sitec. I live in Kilkenny atm but I'll be moving to Dublin. I was told I would still be eligible for free fees but not any grants.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sitec. I live in Kilkenny atm but I'll be moving to Dublin. I was told I would still be eligible for free fees but not any grants.
    I'm from Kilkenny too studying in DIT. They did away with grants for mature students in 2009 I think. You get to keep the social welfare and you are entitled to rent allowance also. It costs me only 100e a month to stay in a house up there.

I'm from Kilkenny too studying in DIT. They did away with grants for mature students in 2009 I think. You get to keep the social welfare and you are entitled to rent allowance also. It costs me only 100e a month to stay in a house up there.

Thanks Sitec. I'm going to PM you for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

They definitely haven't done away with grants for mature students - I have one this year, and free fees, because I'm doing a first degree. They don't discriminate on the basis of age - that would be illegal - but on whether you already have a degree (or part of one) going in.

(There seems to be a popular assumption that mature student = going for a second degree, but not everyone got to go to university straight from school, and not just because of poor results!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    They definitely haven't done away with grants for mature students - I have one this year, and free fees, because I'm doing a first degree. They don't discriminate on the basis of age - that would be illegal - but on whether you already have a degree (or part of one) going in.

(There seems to be a popular assumption that mature student = going for a second degree, but not everyone got to go to university straight from school, and not just because of poor results!)

If you get Back to Education Allowance you are ineligible for grants. Just free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If you get Back to Education Allowance you are ineligible for grants. Just free fees.

Not if you were on One Parent Family payment or Disability in which case you can keep your payment and get a grant subject to satisfying the means test. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stacedoll

It seems different for everyone so, I was not allowed a grant only BTEA but my fee's did get paid.

Rent allowance is now only passed if you have been renting for 6 months, a friend of mine had to struggle on her own with help from family for the first 6 months before they would pass her rent allowance, and this is all while she is in college.

Personally - I'm 26 doing a full time Ba degree, it has been hard, very hard, its been a real struggle and at times I thought I would have to leave, I have had to get a part time job, which finally after months of looking I got one and that has eased the pressure and means hopefully I get to finish my degree.

By no means, taking this road is easy, but if you feel you going to college will benefit your future well then its worth it. Not having a degree always went against me in jobs, and working in jobs I hated affected me mentally and personally, this degree will open many doors for me, if you feel thats you well then go for it, just be prepared for the bad and the good.

bnt wrote: »

Can I ask you how you applied for your grant? Are you doing a level 7 or 8? I could not get any grant and was told it was done away with!!???:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can I ask you how you applied for your grant? Are you doing a level 7 or 8? I could not get any grant and was told it was done away with!!???:mad:
    I just applied as normal, to Dun Laoghaire CC, delivered the requested documentation, and waited a month. This was for the 4th year of a L8 Engineering degree - I hadn't needed to consider a grant before that, hadn't looked at BTEA since I was employed immediately before starting the programme.

I don't see how could they do away with the grant entirely, based solely on the fact that you're a mature student. That would be ageist, wouldn't it? If you meet the requirements - and it's your first degree, not a second degree - that should be it. But (as pointed out) getting BTEA will stop you getting a grant. Citizensinformation,ie says
    Student maintenance grants

From September 2010, you will not get the Back to Education Allowance and student maintenance grant, if you:
    • Have been getting BTEA and are moving or progressing to a new course
    • Are a new BTEA applicant
    Although you are not entitled to a maintenance grant, you must still submit a maintenance grant application form to get payment of the student service charge and tuition fees. Contact your local authority or VEC for more information.
    So the only way you get BTEA is if you are staying on the same course: no new applicants, no change of course. And having received BTEA disqualifies you from a maintenance grant, because that would be a change - which is still weird. The message seeme to be "if you get BTEA, you will finish your current course, and that's your lot".

But if you haven't been getting BTEA (which I wasn't) there should be no problem getting a grant if you qualify. I think - the workings of State vs County Councils are not entirely clear to me ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I think its funny you say 'couple of Diplomas ' .Thats like 6 years in college and you pass it off like it was a bad Fas course you did !!! Well done .

• Advertisement
Advertisement