Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beef Butcher in Mullingar?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where they get really good beef in Mullingar? Seems all the butchers now get their beef from the big meat processors. I'm looking for one who either raises his own cattle or selects from farms that raise their cattle for flavour. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We usually get our meat in Tormey's in Dunnes Stores, don't know if you've tried there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Brackens does a great fillet of beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Tks for responses - Been to both tormeys and brackens. Tormeys used to be great then it wasn't for a while, maybe I should try it again? Brackens is a very good butchers and its handy for parking! and the beef is OK (I'm looking for better than OK!!)

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Maguires. At Centra

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

You should try The Home Farm Butcher out by LIDL on the old Dublin Road. He operates from the back of a private house....but has full facilities in a custom built premises. People are flocking out there at the moment...I'm not sure if he slaughters his own meat....but the prices are very good.

It's the next house on the left past LIDL and worth a look if nothing else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

If you can get outside Mullingar to Ballynacargy (here), then McGuinness' butchers is great. He kills local cattle, or his own. Very good quality stuff. Same for the lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

give this place a try.. http://owelorganic.wordpress.com/farm-shop/ its an organic farm out by the pitch and putt course on lough Owel...I havn't got to him yet as he's only open on the weekend and I work weekends...I've heard nothing but good things about his beef and pork

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

That lad out past Lidl is great value and top quality too. I leave about €50 euro with him every week and we eat like kings all week. Eugene McCormack is his name. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

What type of meat does he do...I thought he only did turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I buy beef, chicken, pork and ham. You want it I'd say he has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I know its not Mullingar but if you're passing through Edgeworthstown then Rawle's on the main st are very good and definitely (I lived beside it) kill their own meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

Maguires in Millmount have lovely meat. or brackens on the lynn road

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Holly Red

Excellent quality beef available from www.mullingarheiferbeef.com
    Order on line. Beef delivered directly to your freezer.
    Sourced locally in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prince3080

Iv been using Tormeys for years meat is always very good ,,, i go to mcguires sometimes as well for ease of parking they are very good as well,,,think they are the best two in the town ,,

Advertisement