Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp SCI college

• 31-01-2011 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

What college in your opinion is the best one to study computer science in Dublin ?

What Comp SCI college in dublin ? 15 votes

DIT
    0% 0 votes
    TCD
    6% 1 vote
    UCD
    26% 4 votes
    DCU
    46% 7 votes
    Other
    20% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

DIT was supposed to be the best up until recently, but apparently the facilities are absolutely horrendous.

I do it in UCD, and it's pretty decent to begin with, and then they changed the course so you can only do denominated CS (As opposed to denominated or doing CS through general entry science). They changed all the maths modules for first year for the better and you're learning C instead of Java, couple of other minor changes. New course seems very good, I did it through general entry science with Chemistry and that was just awful until I dropped Chem. There are a few dodgy lecturers, but you will find that with all courses.

Cant talk for TCD, heard some very mixed things about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

1st year in UCD here, there is a much more practical approach to programming now than I was lead to believe there was previously. You don't have to be brilliant at maths, but be willing to put in effort. The facilities for 1st year are brilliant btw, and I reckon next years 1st years will have a better course again due to us moaning a lot. Some lectures you will want to kill, shiny headed ****!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Fad wrote: »
    DIT was supposed to be the best up until recently, but apparently the facilities are absolutely horrendous..

How was it supposed to be the best if the facilities are horrendous?

NotExactly wrote: »
    How was it supposed to be the best if the facilities are horrendous?

I heard the course itself was more hands on than some of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ThatShane

bigred100 wrote: »
    1st year in UCD here, there is a much more practical approach to programming now than I was lead to believe there was previously. You don't have to be brilliant at maths, but be willing to put in effort. The facilities for 1st year are brilliant btw, and I reckon next years 1st years will have a better course again due to us moaning a lot. Some lectures you will want to kill, shiny headed ****!!!!!

Hey, will most likely be doing this course (computer science in UCD) this year and was wondering what's so great about the facilities? At the open day the active learning lab just seemed like a few tables and monitors lol, would really appreciate a response :)

~Shane

• Advertisement

ThatShane wrote: »
    Hey, will most likely be doing this course (computer science in UCD) this year and was wondering what's so great about the facilities? At the open day the active learning lab just seemed like a few tables and monitors lol, would really appreciate a response :)

~Shane

That pretty much is the facilities for 1st years, you don't appreciate them until you move out of that room. All the tables have plugs on them for laptops, and everyone has an individual ethernet connection(only use it to download TV shows), when you move from that room you realise it's pretty much perfect for using laptops all day. Rest of the rooms are a bit more school-y, but by that stage you're locked in!!

That pretty much is the facilities for 1st years, you don't appreciate them until you move out of that room. All the tables have plugs on them for laptops, and everyone has an individual ethernet connection(only use it to download TV shows), when you move from that room you realise it's pretty much perfect for using laptops all day. Rest of the rooms are a bit more school-y, but by that stage you're locked in!!

Thanks, appreciate the answer, what are the lecturers like? The one I was talking to was a bit monotone but they seem nice enough, can't wait to get started!

ThatShane wrote: »
    Thanks, appreciate the answer, what are the lecturers like? The one I was talking to was a bit monotone but they seem nice enough, can't wait to get started!

Any idea of the name? There's good and bad as with all things. What I've found is you get through the lectures, then in the tutorials you can actually learn how to do things by asking. The tutors I have are, for the most part, bang on.

Any idea of the name? There's good and bad as with all things. What I've found is you get through the lectures, then in the tutorials you can actually learn how to do things by asking. The tutors I have are, for the most part, bang on.

That's great to hear, thanks for being so helpful :) Was the Dean of Comp Science who I was talking to I believe, nice guy but a bit boring to listen to, can't remember his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I agree about DIT having horrible facilities. A friend of mine did the first year a computer course there and said the facitilies were not good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Pity some people lack this effort :p

I blame two years of despising my maths teacher.

Advertisement