Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Puppy entertained in car

• 31-01-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,

Brand new to here as you can see but joined as I figured this would become an extremely helpful source for me and my new family member :)

So onto the question, I will be getting my labrador puppy this weekend, 8 weeks old, and was just looking for any tips on keeping her entertained on the way home in the car, approx. 3 hours? I will not be the one driving so I will be in the back with her the whole journey and just basically wanted to keep her as occupied as possible to distract her from the journey. Any tips/tricks/etc I should know? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Congrats on ur new puppy :D and enjoy..

To be honest as she will only be 8 weeks.. my guess is she will sleep most of the way... when we collected our cocker at 9 weeks.... our car journey was 2 hours and he slept the whole way on my knee.... we even thought there was something wrong with him... until we got home and all havoc broke loose!!.. :P:P.. maybe a nice blanket, some newspaper.. some water.... no food as she may be sick... post a pic when you get her... best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Thanks :D I'll defo post a pic when we get her, I'm guessing she'll think she's royalty with all the pics I'm planning to take! He he well thanks for the advice, I prolly would have been worried if she slept the whole way but now I'll be glad if she does :) got one of those portable water bottles with tray/bowl thing attached and a puppy kong and tug rope toy so hopefully if she wakes that should keep her occupied!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Last time I transported a puppy long distance I had a basket and rug.

He slept when he wanted but had room to move around in the back when he go a bit more energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would try and keep her as quiet and calm as possible, ie I wouldn't be playing with her or trying to entertain her, it will set the tone for future car journeys when she's 3 times the size and wanting to be entertained whilst you're driving - not fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy slept all the way home sitting in my lap on a blanket.. If he sat on my lap now I'd have 2 broken legs lol :pac:

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I would try and keep her as quiet and calm as possible, ie I wouldn't be playing with her or trying to entertain her, it will set the tone for future car journeys when she's 3 times the size and wanting to be entertained whilst you're driving - not fun ;)

Ooh now never thought of that! Calm and quiet it is so, as she'll probably have a good few car journeys in her future this would help :) think I'll have to get a seatbelt harness when she's a bit older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe ask the owners to bring her for a walk before you get her, to ensure she's less energetic for the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

A pup will mostly sleep on a car journey - our dogs see the car seats as beds and snooze for the duration! I'd just have a blanket on the back seat that she can curl up on and maybe throw a bit over her if it gets a bit chilly and some kitchen paper for fear of any throwing up.

Congrats on the new puppy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I drove from Newcastle in England to Dublin via ferry at hollyhead, 450km trip and not a word out of him, he was asleep for most of the journey or just looking round to see what was going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

What I had was a blanket, water, newspaper beside you on the sits (just incase the puppy did the wee wee!), some tissue ( incase s/he got sick!), a driver and a warm car!

He was a little bit worried at first when we got into the back of the car but he was fine. We were quiet on our way home and I was holding him with the blanket as he was tiny and I talked to him very softly, telling him "you will be alright...alright" etc!! It appears to relax him. Loud radio and high speed on the road etc might'nt be a good idea for the puppy's first trip in a car.

He was a little cold - so the blanket helps and turn on the heater!! He slept the rest of the journey.

I am sure ye will be fine.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the tips! I had visions of myself trying to operate a sat nav (for the driver) and keep a hyper puppy entertained but hopefully she will sleep for most of the way :) I'll stock up on the paper towels/newpaper and already got lots of fleece blankets so fingers crossed! Can't wait now I'm waaay too excited :D

Hey guys, Thanks for all the advice, as you suggested she slept a lot, bout half the journey :) got a little carsick and was nervous (see pic!) but bless her she held her bladder til the second we got into house :D

IMG_1262.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah look at her. I'm jealous!!

Best of luck with her and enjoy every second of puppiness, it's amazing how quickly they mature.

Advertisement