Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst pubs in Dublin 15

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey there Im wondering does anyone have any opinions on the best boozers in Dublin 15? Tell us about your favorite boozer and why
    Or your least favourites and why just to make things a bit interesting!
    I havent seen a thread on the best worst D15 pubs thus far.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

best carpenter worst roselawn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Worst is the "opening soon" pub in Ongar village, it has an unfinished feel to it.. been like that for years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best - none
    Worst - take your pick

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the pubs of D15 all appear to be horrible, soulless, suburban drinking halls, rather than proper pubs. It's a shame really that old villages like Blanchardstown and Castleknock don't have a decent, cosy pub in either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

12th lock or the hole in the wall pub if that counts

the pub outside superquin seems to have reopened, it seemed closed for a few months as was the off licence

The Hole in the Wall is Dublin 7, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yeah have to agree with Zaph on that. I travel outside D15 for my few beers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can't think of anywhere that stands out from the rest. I can certainly think of a few really dodgy ones that I avoid but as for the rest - Myos, Anglers Rest, Clonsilla Inn, Davy & Phelans, Bradys, The Carpenter, The Vineyard - they're all pretty bland.

Of the lot I suppose the Carpenter or 12th Lock would be the best. But that's not saying much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cant say I find any local pub that's in D15 particularly engaging either, so I tend to drink in the City Centre or in the Strawberry Hall. The Halfway house is a short walk for me, but I'm rarely tempted to take that walk tbh.

Having said that, I know plenty of people who love their local pub (Bell, Roselawn inn, Carpenters, Clonsilla Inn, etc.) - those sort of pubs just dont do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I dont supose any one has a list and locations of all the pubs in D15, there does not seem to be many, seem country towns with about a 1000 population have more pubs than D15. Ive stoped going to pubs in D15, used to frequent the grey hound and the bell back in the day.... but the bell is a bit of a stroll for me now, and the greyhound is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

I dont supose any one has a list and locations of all the pubs in D15, there does not seem to be many, seem country towns with about a 1000 population have more pubs than D15. Ive stoped going to pubs in D15, used to frequent the grey hound and the bell back in the day.... but the bell is a bit of a stroll for me now, and the greyhound is gone.

Crikey i thought the greyhound was a dump. The Thirsty Bull in tyrllstown i have to admit i was taken aback by the decor, a lot was spent on it but i have bumped into some dodgy guys there. So the jury is out on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Gaspode wrote: »
    Cant say I find any local pub that's in D15 particularly engaging either, so I tend to drink in the City Centre or in the Strawberry Hall. The Halfway house is a short walk for me, but I'm rarely tempted to take that walk tbh.

Having said that, I know plenty of people who love their local pub (Bell, Roselawn inn, Carpenters, Clonsilla Inn, etc.) - those sort of pubs just dont do it for me.

Although I dont now live in Dublin, I used to live in Blanch for many years up to a few years ago hence my continued interest in what goes on around there.

I just think that this is a little distasteful. In these tough economic times, is it not a little unfair to be blasting businesses with subjective views?

The pub I like, you may not like and vice versa. Gaspode is right, everyone to their own, some people like their local, that doesnt mean that everyone must.

Where I live its sad to see pubs closing and barmen and owners lose their jobs.

A thread like this gives someone with a grudge (they may be barred) to call that pub a dump etc. How is anyone here to know what someones motivation is to praise one pub and slag off another.

Anyway, just be fair to the people who work there. When I was in Dublin, I knew staff in these places and they are all decent stock.

Be thankful you have pubs to choose from because here in rural west of Ireland, there is little or no choice left and more is the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

No pub in D15 really stands out in my mind but the 12th Lock is probably my favorite in the area. The Paddocks at Littlepace leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Thirsty Bull in tyrllstown i have to admit i was taken aback by the decor, a lot was spent on it but i have bumped into some dodgy guys there. So the jury is out on that

The Thirsty Bull is fine, there was a dodgy couple of lads for a while when the place in Mulhuddart closed but they either got barred or bored with the place and it's a grand local now.

But then again what pub in the country do you not bump into a dodgy element ?

No pub in D15 really stands out in my mind but the 12th Lock is probably my favorite in the area. The Paddocks at Littlepace leaves a lot to be desired.

The PADDOCKS, dont talk to me, Went in recently, Barman to busy talking to his regulars. Couldnt get his attention for 2 minutes, Finally made eye contact. Politely said "Pint of Miller please mate" Without even acknowleding me he walked off doing something else. One of the guys he had been talking to looked over and chuckled saying "course ya can have a pint dont mind him moody ****e"
    But the real laugh came when i sat down at a table. About 15 portable fans plugged into heat the place during the big freeze. All coming from various extension cords like battle tanks lined up.

Saying that I was in before that and a Beautiful young friendly woman served me couldnt be nicer!

What was your experience in the paddocks drop the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Twelfth Loch! Great pub

You may be the worst bar if you have a couple of these features:

1) The majority of females all look like hairdressers
    2) You regularly have a crap cover band playing journey/kings of leon/snow patrol bland boring rubbish
    3) You have bouncers
    4) A lot of your male customers sing IRA songs, quickly followed by British
    football hooligan songs :confused:
    5) You have furniture that does not match or you have crap carpet that has
    stains from the last twenty years
    6) Your main customers are overweight beer-beelied men and elderly alcoholics
    7) Your idea of a smoking area is the front door

I can't think of anymore at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

The 12th Lock is a pretty good pub. Excellent smoking area, good food, wide variety of drinks...

The Greyhound has reopened but I haven't been in there since it has re-opened. €3.50 pints in there at the moment.

The Carpenter is pretty good also. Vineyard is a bit dead and I've heard the Clonsilla has gone a bit down hill.

I don't really like the Bell but I'd go there the odd time.

I used to basically live in the Roselawn but the place really divebombed which caused them to lose a lot of customers. They also do rancid pints upstairs when they have it open which doesn't help.

Was in the Paddocks once, for a match. Crap screens and a burnt burger are my memories of the place.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    The 12th Lock is a pretty good pub. Excellent smoking area, good food, wide variety of drinks...

The Greyhound has reopened but I haven't been in there since it has re-opened. €3.50 pints in there at the moment.

The Carpenter is pretty good also. Vineyard is a bit dead and I've heard the Clonsilla has gone a bit down hill.

I used to basically live in the Roselawn but the place really divebombed which caused them to lose a lot of customers. They also do rancid pints upstairs when they have it open which doesn't help.

Was in the Paddocks once, for a match. Crap screens and a burnt burger are my memories of the place.

12th Lock is Nice ill agree but have they lowered the prices of those tasty beverages? last time i was in i was paying near city centre prices for a pint of lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

12th Lock is Nice ill agree but have they lowered the prices of those tasty beverages? last time i was in i was paying near city centre prices for a pint of lager.
    €4.85 for anything on tap.

Compared to most other D15 pubs its not that more expensive. (Apart from the Greyhound which has €3.50 pints and Captains live Sunday to Thursdays which has €3 pints and is actually a music venue/club)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Agree with much of this. It is a pity about the Roselawn. It has the potential to be a great bar given its location and history. The blame is definately on the owners for not investing in it, and letting it rot away. It is a blight and not many people will care if it closes, and that is kinda sad.

€4.85 for anything on tap.

Compared to most other D15 pubs its not that more expensive. (Apart from the Greyhound which has €3.50 pints and Captains live Sunday to Thursdays which has €3 pints and is actually a music venue/club)

Seriously Captains live is 3 yo yos for draught thurs to sundays? Whats it like? Ill be off my face in there this w/e so! They didnt a good job advertising that.

• Advertisement

Agree with much of this. It is a pity about the Roselawn. It has the potential to be a great bar given its location and history. The blame is definately on the owners for not investing in it, and letting it rot away. It is a blight and not many people will care if it closes, and that is kinda sad.

The Roselawn, I never entered it,
    Reminds me of those fake cheap paddy bars over a shop down in alicante. Thats the one thats part of the shopping centre right? must throw the head in and see.

The Roselawn, I never entered it,
    Reminds me of those fake cheap paddy bars over a shop down in alicante. Thats the one thats part of the shopping centre right? must throw the head in and see.

Yeah, down the other end from Tesco.

Well, not as exciting as those cheap paddy bars, but yeah, it has the bare essentials, not even a decent tv to watch sport. The food has been crap for years, the pints are dire, the customers are the dregs as they have pretty much lost everyone else in the area. The furniture is old and tattered, horrible carpet. The upstairs was okay-ish, but it is rarely open. I think many people will go in, hoping it has changed, have a few drinks and avoid it for months/years until they get that itch to see if it has changed again. Only time I ever see it busy at all is Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

How can finnegan2010 commment on the pub if he, as he says, he has "never entered it"-- I make no comment on the pub positive or negative as I am not qualified to make a comment, not being a patron.

WTSIB wrote: »
    How can finnegan2010 commment on the pub if he, as he says, he has "never entered it"-- I make no comment on the pub positive or negative as I am not qualified to make a comment, not being a patron.

Good you picked up on that my apologies the exterior I was reffering to not the inside
    Sorry :o
    (Gives hug to all)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Anyone care to throw out their top 3 or 4 things that they'd like to see in a new local D15 pub?

Here's mine for starters:

Plenty of microbrewery and imported beers as well as the main players.
    No children allowed after 3pm.
    Music in (and only in) a well designed music lounge, with a variety of music genres catered for.
    Plenty of quiet snug areas (Roaring fires optional)

Anyone care to throw out their top 3 or 4 things that they'd like to see in a new local D15 pub?

Music in (and only in) a well designed music lounge, with a variety of music genres catered for.

I'd go a step further and say that I'd love to see an actual microbrewery. Surely the population of Dublin is sufficient to support more than the couple that are in the city centre?

Harry Byrne's on the Howth Road was my local for a couple of years when I lived nearby. They had a sign up saying "No Children Allowed At Any Time". I dream of the day when I manage to find a second pub with a sign like this (although I reserve the right to change my mind should I ever become a parent :D).

Not too pushed about music in pubs generally, so that's not too important for me, but I definitely agree about the snugs. As I mentioned earlier, most of the pubs in the area seem to be big drinking halls, there's no quiet, intimate corners in any of them unlike, for example, The Hole in the Wall.

The one other thing I'd like to see is a pub with a really nice beer garden. A few patio tables and chairs outside doesn't constitute a beer garden, despite what a great many publicans throughout the country seem to think.

Ah Harry's, now there was a good pub, and my local for a long time too as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Things I'd like in a pub:

*GREAT pint of Guinness (rare as hens' teeth!)
    *NO kids running/screaming
    *Toilets where you don't need a gasmask and a pair of wellies

Must say the bar in the Carpenter is about the best around. Gone a bit quiet lately though which does take away from the athmosphere a bit. Good place to watch rugby (Heineken Cup etc.,) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I promise that when I win the lotto, I will build you that pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Red Actor

Have to agree it's brutal. Barstaff brutal and allow the drunken locals to roar at each other as great craic. I walk past and walk to the Grasshopper (Clonee Village so not D15) way better and they can actually show two different matches at the same time if you so desire - even seen matches + horses one day.

Advertisement