Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst pubs in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I quite enjoy drinking in the bar of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I generally go to watch the Rugby and sit at the bar. Staff are very good and tend to be friendly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I quite enjoy drinking in the bar of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I generally go to watch the Rugby and sit at the bar. Staff are very good and tend to be friendly.

I've been there a couple of times, but it's a bit cold and soulless for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Gaspode wrote: »
    Anyone care to throw out their top 3 or 4 things that they'd like to see in a new local D15 pub?
    • More foreign beers stocked.
    • Slight decrease in the premium paid on foreign beers.
    • The ability to display important sporting events (in some part of the pub) in high quality and on large enough screens (> 32inch) with sound clearly heard.
    • Special offers on food during important sporting events.
    • More thought put into the background music.
    • More adequately heated beer gardens (so that its possible to sit there for long periods of time even in non-summer months).
    • Music piped to the beer gardens.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Been there myself and just don't like it feels dead to me. The 2 occasions I have been there the staff were terrible slow and got my order wrong twice.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've been there a couple of times, but it's a bit cold and soulless for my liking.
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    Been there myself and just don't like it feels dead to me. The 2 occasions I have been there the staff were terrible slow and got my order wrong twice.

Just goes to show how subjective it all is! ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone care to throw out their top 3 or 4 things that they'd like to see in a new local D15 pub?

Here's mine for starters:

Plenty of microbrewery and imported beers as well as the main players.
    No children allowed after 3pm.
    Music in (and only in) a well designed music lounge, with a variety of music genres catered for.
    Plenty of quiet snug areas (Roaring fires optional)

Friendly staff

Thumbs up to snug areas!

3-4 essentials for a pub isn’t enough really.
    I think the main ingredients for a good pub are :

Good and friendly, knowledgeable (about the products they are serving) bar staff.
    No children after a certain time say like 5pm.
    Good selection of beer both real Irish beers and Belgian /German etc.
    Snug or section areas to get that cosy relaxed feeling.
    Clean pub and clean toilets help !
    Also sectioned parts of Pubs so one side can watch sports and other side doesn’t need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

3-4 essentials for a pub isn’t enough really.
    I think the main ingredients for a good pub are :

Good and friendly, knowledgeable (about the products they are serving) bar staff.
    No children after a certain time say like 5pm.
    Good selection of beer both real Irish beers and Belgian /German etc.
    Snug or section areas to get that cosy relaxed feeling.
    Clean pub and clean toilets help !
    Also sectioned parts of Pubs so one side can watch sports and other side doesn’t need to know.

+1
    "Good and friendly, knowledgeable (about the products they are serving) bar staff."

Very important I feel a lot of pubs are run like petrol station, fill up on regular god knows how it made or where it comes from and get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was there last night myself and I quite liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Ventured down the Clonee House / Sports Bar yesterday for a pint to see what lie of land was since they painted it from the Rotten Egg green to a more traditional wine.
    Wasnt too impressed was quite quiet but friendly staff in fairness. Pint wasnt bad.

Have a look at their facebook account :eek: not sure I would want to go on the weekend. Not into the Yokes meself:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just been reading through this post and I thought to myself they are right, there really is no decent pubs in the area!

The Bell = Dodgy and smelly crowd, bar staff not friendly.
    The Clonsilla Inn = Dodgy crowd/staff but occasional good band.
    The Roselawn = Appalling bar staff (only interested in watching golf) but nice lounge staff.
    The Greyhound = Did have a dodgy crowd and staff. Re-opened for the xmas and will close again to be refurbished shortly. Pint surprisingly good.
    12th Loch = strange seating arrangements makes it feel unfriendly. Clicky groups and couples. Nice during the day with nice food.
    The Carpenter = Great staff, nice surroundings, (only proper bar staff in the area), nice food but can feel lifeless.
    Myos = awful looking pub, full of pretentious idiots.

If you live in the area and fancy a pint you have no choice but to enter these places unless your willing to pay a fortune in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

py2006 wrote: »
    Just been reading through this post and I thought to myself they are right, there really is no decent pubs in the area!

I have to strongly disagree with you there. Their staff are some of the best.

Saturday nights are very good, no matter what you want. There is the bar for the heavyweights, the lounge for the mixed crowd and function room that is busy every weekend.

In the village its the one all round pub that caters for all and why not, Blanchardstown is a mixed bag so why shouldn't one of it's main pubs not cater for the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Although I dont now live in Dublin, I used to live in Blanch for many years up to a few years ago hence my continued interest in what goes on around there.

I just think that this is a little distasteful. In these tough economic times, is it not a little unfair to be blasting businesses with subjective views?

Why is it unfair?

As you rightly pointed out, these are tough economic times. If someone could only afford to go out for one night every few weeks, why should they spend their hard earned money in a dive? It works both ways.
    The pub I like, you may not like and vice versa. Gaspode is right, everyone to their own, some people like their local, that doesnt mean that everyone must.

That's fair enough and people are not disputing that.
    Where I live its sad to see pubs closing and barmen and owners lose their jobs.

It's sad to see anyone lose their job.
    A thread like this gives someone with a grudge (they may be barred) to call that pub a dump etc. How is anyone here to know what someones motivation is to praise one pub and slag off another.

Which is why the OP asked for a reason and not a list. We do have to assume everyones telling the truth but we also have to take into account personal taste and the fact that if one pub consistently crops up as being not a very nice place, then it's probably not a very nice place.
    Anyway, just be fair to the people who work there. When I was in Dublin, I knew staff in these places and they are all decent stock.

Be thankful you have pubs to choose from because here in rural west of Ireland, there is little or no choice left and more is the pity.

If someone wants to say the bar staff are terrible then that's fair enough.

It's the managements job to ensure their staff are polite and aware, when this happens people will state (eg. Roselawn lounge staff being great) it. Again, it works both ways.

As for me:

Captains - good craic for cheap pints and a bit of music.
    Rosy - Don't like it, just a shell of it's former self. Management there need to sharpen up quick.
    Bell - It's so / so to be fair. Not a bad place to watch sport, crowds a bit rough but it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

When I was in Dublin, I used to frequent Myos and Roselawn and I was in Bradys which many many years ago was called The Twin Oaks when I went to Dublin first.

Last autumn, I was up for one of rugby matches and stayed with relations in Blanch foir the weekend.

Visited Roselawn and Myos. I liked them both still. I find them well run, no trouble and decent locals and people I recognised customers drinking in both and they seem to have very steady local trade, older people who probably dont have mortgage worries etc.

Rose lawn is a family run pub and the man who owns it is a gentleman and well respected.

The staff in Myos are also very friendly and talk to their customers and the same staff have been there for years.

Another pub in that area I know of and was in once or twice wasThe Lodge in Laurel Lodge. Is it still going?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

py2006 wrote: »
    J
    The Clonsilla Inn = Dodgy crowd/staff but occasional good band.
    The Roselawn = Appalling bar staff (only interested in watching golf) but nice lounge staff.
    The Greyhound = Did have a dodgy crowd and staff. Re-opened for the xmas and will close again to be refurbished shortly. Pint surprisingly good.
    12th Loch = strange seating arrangements makes it feel unfriendly. Clicky groups and couples. Nice during the day with nice food.
    The Carpenter = Great staff, nice surroundings, (only proper bar staff in the area), nice food but can feel lifeless.
    Myos = awful looking pub, full of pretentious idiots.

py2006, I'm going to assume you're old enough to drink in a public house, so surely you can up with a better way of describing a pub or it's clientele in a less infantile manner?
    You're entitled to have those opinions, but posting them here is only likely to get people's backs up, so they're not particularly helpful.

A pub I havent seen mentioned is the Hartstown House.

I have gone there in the past on occassion and from someone who lived in Hartstown for a long time I wouldnt consider it my local or anything like that.

The Guinness is good there whenever I have been but I havent been there since 2009.

Again a clicky crowd (arent most pubs anyway)in there but thats cos most people there are from the area and would drink there week in week out.

What about Salmon's?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

best carpenter worst roselawn

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

What about Salmon's?:eek:

By all accounts it's great on a Sunday if your from the locality....don't knock the local shops ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

py2006, I'm going to assume you're old enough to drink in a public house, so surely you can up with a better way of describing a pub or it's clientele in a less infantile manner?
    You're entitled to have those opinions, but posting them here is only likely to get people's backs up, so they're not particularly helpful.

Forums are for opinions mate!

Apologies if you disagree but that is the nature of a forum. I presume you are referring to the word "dodgy" which is a far friendlier word than what I could have used.

On reflection, I possibly should have said some of the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Another pub in that area I know of and was in once or twice wasThe Lodge in Laurel Lodge. Is it still going?

Yep it's still going, called Kavanaghs now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 groovy train

My favourite is The Carpenter. Staff are friendly and the pub is nice and relaxed. The other pubs in the area leave alot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

By all accounts it's great on a Sunday if your from the locality....don't knock the local shops ;)

I prefred the old Mountview inn on a saturday night :)

Great shops there as well ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Isn't there a pub in Corduff?

And what about Dolly Heffernans? It seems to cater largely to the workers in the nearby business parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Dolly Heffernans closed a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sharrow wrote: »
    Dolly Heffernans closed a while back.

Nearly two years ago now... there was a rumour floating around that the owner sold it so a hotel could be built on the land...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Here's mine for starters:

Plenty of microbrewery and imported beers as well as the main players.
    No children allowed after 3pm.
    Music in (and only in) a well designed music lounge, with a variety of music genres catered for.
    Plenty of quiet snug areas (Roaring fires optional)

I'd agree with all of this. The Porterhouse brew their beers in D15 (Rosemount Industrial Estate IIRC), so there isn't even a need to setup another brewery; they already supply some of their drinks to 3rd-party pubs.

My own favourite is the 12th Lock, but it tends to get busy so finding seats is a mission. Great selection of beers (including Staropramen and Hoegaarden on tap), nice atmosphere, no blaring music or dodgy characters. TBH I generally just go into town for beers, which is a terrible indictment of D15 pubs in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My own favourite is the 12th Lock, but it tends to get busy so finding seats is a mission. Great selection of beers (including Staropramen and Hoegaarden on tap),

Both produced and marketed by Inbev, which is help keeping Irish bars micro (local) and diverse beer free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

oblivious wrote: »
    Both produced and marketed by Inbev, which is help keeping Irish bars micro (local) and diverse beer free

I'm aware of the local vs. multinational supplier debate, but the draft beer selection in D15 is so poor that anything different is good. The 12th Lock could have just offered the normal Diageo selection, but they seem to make a genuine effort to offer some choice. I might be naive, but I'd hope that at least offering something different would encourage people to be more adventurous and hence drive demand for local beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

January wrote: »
    Nearly two years ago now... there was a rumour floating around that the owner sold it so a hotel could be built on the land...

Really? I gave someone directions there, it wasn't long ago. Well, he didn't ask if it was open. :)

Advertisement