Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block of oak or similar

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the "Timber" thread a few days ago with no response, maybe i's own thread might get a bit more attention.
    I'm looking for a small block of wood, preferably oak or something similar. It's for a small bowl, that would end up being no more than 10cm in diameter (the opening that is, obviously the wood thickness would leave the final dimensions a bit bigger!)

Ideally it would be about 15-20 square centimeters and about 10cm high. It's easy to take more off and impossible to add more on if it's to small! There is a bigger version of a bowl like this at home that an old family friend made. The thickness of the wall of the bowl is amazing and looks incredible, something I'd like to try and replicate.

*Mods, as I said, I did try and stick with the Timber thread, if this is a major inconvenience delete it, but hopefully it isn't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

which way does the grain need to run?
    where about are u based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm not to experienced with this, it's a first time project! While I'm used to woodwork, I'm new to carving. whatever way is easier without a major affect on aesthetics!

In in south Dublin. Thanks for te reply

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Are you turning it on a lathe or carving it?
    woodworkers.ie or Strahan timber could possibly have what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm carving it. I'll check them out, thanks.

Advertisement