Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do? Where to go?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering could any of you people give me some advice? Let me give you a bit of a background.

Last Summer I came up with an idea for a TV show (who dosnt) so I approached a friend of mine with a background in media and we begged, borrowed and secretly borrowed cans, cameras, booms & audio recorders, cast & crew, location, a horse, costumes and smoke machines.

Essentially we filmed 18 hours of footage for an entertainment show that we hoped we could take to TV. Upon recording we found that we were not really taken seriously and could not compete with established production companies.

Now my director has emigrated but has left the raw footage with me which I am currently editing down into a 10 minute promo. What should I do with this promo then? Not being involved in the industry I have not got a clue where to go with it.

Im a bit wary because I met with a producer/director of a well known Irish show and he wasnt interested in my ideas but promtly wrote everything I said down before taking off....

Thanks in advance
    Riamfada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I'm starting out fresh in the industry, and as a writer/producer and hopefully as a director, if I can get the money (it's all about the money). A few years ago, during a talk at Trinity for fantasy films of the 1950's, I luckily chatted to film critic Kim Newman.

I told him I was thinking of becoming a writer like him (still a bit away at that point) and asked him what he thought of showing your ideas to other people. He told me never show other people your ideas.

If you want to start off as a producer the first and foremost thing above all else that you need is ideas. The horrible reality of your situation is that that producer you told all your ideas to probably adapted those ideas to his own needs. :(

Now that’s not to say that the producer you met was unscrupulous. Why? Because nobody owns an idea. If they did the Greeks would be the richest people on the planet and wouldn’t be suffering at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Is this for profit ? if not I'd talk to DCTV they were more than helpful for my great show idea that never went to air , and seeing as its pre-recorder that'd be a big plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I told him I was thinking of becoming a writer like him (still a bit away at that point) and asked him what he thought of showing your ideas to other people. He told me never show other people your ideas.

At some point you have to show your scripts to people. Otherwise they will never get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    At some point you have to show your scripts to people. Otherwise they will never get made.

I never said anything about scripts, which, as you've correctly said, you have to show someone at that point otherwise they'll never get made.

Advertisement