Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing and the City

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

From Niall O'Brolcháin... in an official postage paid Seanad Éireann envelope.

I think there must be a competition between them to see who can make the most brazen use of public resources for their own personal benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Got the same one. Is it the letter with a code to text if you want him to visit your house?
    Struck me as a bit cowardly tbh, he won't visit all the houses in the area only the ones that bother to invite him. The people who don't invite him are more likely to have critical things to say about him or his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you could always invite .... to then attack (with questions)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

kodute wrote: »
    Got the same one. Is it the letter with a code to text if you want him to visit your house?
    Struck me as a bit cowardly tbh, he won't visit all the houses in the area only the ones that bother to invite him. The people who don't invite him are more likely to have critical things to say about him or his party.

Is the text number a premium number?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Doesn't surprise me hugely. Most ooliticians are only going to really canvass housing estates as they can get to so many houses. If you're in a rural area then they're unlikely to call to your house unless they know ther'll be a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Struck me as a bit cowardly tbh, he won't visit all the houses in the area only the ones that bother to invite him.

There are over 80,000 people in the Galway West electorate

It just isn't possible to visit all the houses in the area
    No candidate in Ireland will manage it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

It was the use of official postage paid Seanad Éireann stationery in his private election campaign I was more drawing attention to. It lends undue weight to the message inside it, and hasn't got anything to do with the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We have gotten a few from Healy-Eames on official Seanad letterhead.

Her canvas crew arrived to the door a few nights ago. I asked what her views were on same sex marriage, to be told that there was legislation going through for civil partnerships soon. They skillfully avoided telling me what HER viewpoint was.

They said if I didn't like her that they had 3 other candidates. 2 are on the city council and 1 on the county council. When asked what they would do about their commitments in their current roles if they were elected, I was told that there would be a local by-election.

Surely if politicians have been elected to a local role (or appointed to the Seanad), they should be committed to that role. If they want to go for a national position, shouldn't they be forced to resign and have the by-election before the general election so the positions are filled by people who will work for those who elected them?

If the above is too confusing, it's basically "if they want a national seat, make them resign the local seat before they are put up for election".

And if they are public sector workers, forget leave-of-absence while they play politics; take the plunge into the deep end or get out of the pool.

Finally, a teacher, a TD, a minister and a taoiseach all work for the state, so at the end only 1 pension, not 3 or 4.

Fey! wrote: »
    We have gotten a few from Healy-Eames on official Seanad letterhead.
    Yeah, I'd view that as basically lifting stationery from the office for your own personal use. Every cent spent on those postage paid envelopes came straight from our taxes, so Niall is basically telling people he has no problem appropriating public resources for his own personal benefit. If it was an official message from the Seanad in his capacity as a Senator, I'd have no problem with it. But its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Derek Nolan and Hildegarde Naughton called to my door. Personally.

O'Brolcháin wants a personal invitation to call over. Feck that. Grow a spine and come show your face at the doorsteps of people who have suffered because of where the country is.

@Amhran Nua I completely agree, but when he is sitting in the same chamber as Ivor Callely, swiping a few envelopes must seem like a non-issue. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I know some friends who are texting O'Brolcháin to get him to call to the door; they are then going to tell him to his face he & the green's are a complete waste of space and please f*ck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I missed the first round of canvassers at the weekend.

I was disgusted, I've even been training the dogs what to do when they arrive at the door:(:p:D

I was disgusted, I've even been training the dogs what to do when they arrive at the door:(:p:D

Maybe it was just some slovakian chap putting a 'sorry i missed you' leaflet through the door?
    Some of the local representatives have been known to do this.
    Keep those dogs starved :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

if we got any of that rubbish in my letter box id go out of my way and put it back in their postbox..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I'm fairly sure this is unconstitutional and promotes inequality of elected candidates who can use Oireachtas' free facilities over unelected candidates that can't.

They are not allowed do this under the case of Kelly v Minister for the Environment [2002] 4 I.R. 191

PomBear wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure this is unconstitutional and promotes inequality of elected candidates who can use Oireachtas' free facilities over unelected candidates that can't.

They are not allowed do this under the case of Kelly v Minister for the Environment [2002] 4 I.R. 191
    Maybe he should call around to every house they were delivered to and ask for them back? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Struck me as a bit cowardly tbh, he won't visit all the houses in the area only the ones that bother to invite him.

Got 'em too.

One for me, and one for Mr justMary. If my number was 3456, then his was 3457 We considered texting some other numbers a bit lower in the sequence eg 3446, just so he could go and visit some lucky peoples. Decided not to waste the texts though ;)

(made-up numbers, BTW).

In fairness, our front-door is pretty inaccessible, so we're not likely to see any canvassers unless we summon them to us. I can understand why a candidate who wants the inner city vote would try this approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

If I missed anyone when I called or if you are inaccesable please give me a call and i'll meet up for a chat if you like. I want to get as much face to face canvassing done before polling day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Text him that info. Have to say this sort of thing is par for the course but its especially bemusing when its the Green Party who are acting in this way, after the past 4 years of harping on about corporate donations and election posters, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Funny,I thought this too. However a few weeks ag, immediately after the election was called,I heard a journalist on the radio saying he'd spent ages wandering around Leinster House looking for quotes but could find no politicians in any of their usual haunts. Then he mentioned that someone told him to go to the stationary office where he foundl loads of TDs queuing up for their free stationary for the election! He just mentioned it as a humourous aside to his report but I was surprised that it was so accepted that they just helped themselves to what they wanted for their campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We got a flyer hand delivered from Lorraine Higgins and written in pen was "sorry i missed you", now I don't really mind it except I was inside looking at her and she didn't attempt to ring the bell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We got a flyer hand delivered from Lorraine Higgins and written in pen was "sorry i missed you", now I don't really mind it except I was inside looking at her and she didn't attempt to ring the bell.

I usually go out the door and roar down the street at them if they try that one on me.

Then they have to traipse back to hear a lecture on manners and etiquette ....followed by a discussion on 'policy' . Lorraines grasp of mathematics on Vincent Browne the other week was ...shall we say....rather inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My neighbour has a long front drive. At the gate is a sign saying "no canvassers". Half way down the drive is a sign saying "can't you fecking read ?". At the last election he had great fun watching them ignore the first sign & then turn back smartly at the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

paulgalway wrote: »
    I know some friends who are texting O'Brolcháin to get him to call to the door; they are then going to tell him to his face he & the green's are a complete waste of space and please f*ck off.

well that's very constructive :rolleyes:

I hope you get charged by the guards if you go through with what you are implying.
    Discodog wrote: »
    My neighbour has a long front drive. At the gate is a sign saying "no canvassers". Half way down the drive is a sign saying "can't you fecking read ?". At the last election he had great fun watching them ignore the first sign & then turn back smartly at the second.

your 'neighbour' sounds very ignorant to be honest.

So far it's been about 50-50 between people who have the manners to listen to you on the doorstep and people who only want to shout personal abuse at you. Ye honestly would not believe how rude some members of the galway public are!

Which party are you canvassing for?

A 'no canvassing' sign should be respected at all times not just when you feel like it. Somebody went to the effort to put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

If you're canvassing for FF or the greens I could well believe how rude they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone have some of this literature that they can scan up?

If you're canvassing for FF or the greens I could well believe how rude they are.

I'd say i'm canvassing more for an individual rather than a party. Either way people should have the manners to listen to what one says to them on the doorsteps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Canvasser wrote: »
    I'd say i'm canvassing more for an individual rather than a party.

Ok, is this individual more associated to one of the collapsed coalition parties than the opposition parties?

Mactard wrote: »
    Ok, is this individual more associated to one of the collapsed coalition parties than the opposition parties?
    he was not a member of the current government. he is a current city councillor. either way that's not relevant to the point i was making about the poor behaviour and attitudes of some of the galway public towards politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its quite obvious that the public at large have had enough of politicians so im not surprised in people's reactions. I personally wouldn't abuse anyone canvassing but i also wouldn't answer the door, i know who i will vote for and dont need to engage with canvassers to help me decide.

Advertisement