Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing and the City

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I personally wouldn't abuse anyone canvassing but i also wouldn't answer the door, i know who i will vote for and dont need to engage with canvassers to help me decide.
    This is the thing really, most people know the score well enough - many politicians seem to treat canvassing as cramming before the exam, and even then have as little as possible to do with personally meeting "the great unwashed" as they can; it doesn't work like that. On the other hand, undirected anger at everything is counterproductive, somebody has to fix the mess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Canvasser wrote: »
    either way that's not relevant to the point i was making about the poor behaviour and attitudes of some of the galway public towards politicians

I am not arguing your point, relevance to it is of no relevance to what I said.
    he was not a member of the current government. he is a current city councillor.

I didn't ask if he was a member of the current government, I asked if "this individual [is] more associated to one of the collapsed coalition parties than the opposition parties"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

well that's very constructive

your 'neighbour' sounds very ignorant to be honest.

So far it's been about 50-50 between people who have the manners to listen to you on the doorstep and people who only want to shout personal abuse at you. Ye honestly would not believe how rude some members of the galway public are!

My neighbour is exercising his right to have who he chooses on his doorstep.

All the parties will make promises that they will end up breaking - or that they will conveniently forget about. Will an Independent state who they will go into coalition with - No.

If you perceive voters as "rude" then you clearly have no understanding of the hurt & pain that is being felt all over Ireland. If politicians had the decency to treat us with respect then we would reciprocate.

Why should people listen when we know that your words are meaningless ?. Irish politicians break election promises with no consequences. They are never called to account. No one remembers the previous promises by the time the next election comes around.

Having spent time in the UK during elections two things stand out. The English don't promise the world & poster are used to advertise policies rather than being wasted showing faces.

The campaign managers here are staggeringly ignorant. They believe that all you have to do is flood the street with mugshots. It's all about the candidate being a good man & supporting local issues rather than being able to run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since this thread has moved beyond the initial OP but we can still discuss I've changed the name.

Canvassing in the forum is not allowed, and by that I mean signing up to promote a certain politician/party Anyone who claims to be a certain politician etc must first get in tough with the admins for verification (mail hello@boards.ie). Once they are verified they can answer questions.

There is a General Election forum here so this thread is for local people about local issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Mactard wrote: »
    I am not arguing your point, relevance to it is of no relevance to what I said.

I didn't ask if he was a member of the current government, I asked if "this individual [is] more associated to one of the collapsed coalition parties than the opposition parties"

I don't think i'm allowed to say who it is judging by the moderators last post. either way the guy comes from a good galway family and would be a breath of fresh air in the new Dáil, albeit unfortunately it might be on the opposition benches it's looking like.

Bad old weather tonight so I think we've been given the night off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

either way the guy comes from a good galway family

Oh Dear - surely we have had enough of the "comes from a good family" as a reason to vote for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

. either way the guy comes from a good galway family .

Could you perhaps define what it is that constitutes 'a good galway family' and how this is any way relevant to someone's potential ability to be an exemplar of a legislator in our national chamber?

I have no idea who you are talking about BTW, so even if I knew what defined 'a good galway family' , I wouldn't know if this person fits that definition.

Now I'm off to figure if I'm from 'a good galway family'. Dad was born and bred in Bohermore, but Mam is from Mayo and I spent some time as a child living in Furbo. I wonder if that makes us good enough to be a good galway family?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I'd say i'm canvassing more for an individual rather than a party. Either way people should have the manners to listen to what one says to them on the doorsteps.

So, we should listen to what the canvessers/polticans say when they call to our door?

Did the politicans listen to the thousands who protested in Dublin and else where.

Did they listen when Merrill Lynch, who were hired by the gov., advised against the bank guarantee?

Have you been listening? have you a record of all the issues raised by the people you have spoken to on your canvass?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Either way people should have the manners to listen to what one says to them on the doorsteps.
    Why?

It's their doorstep.

You are the uninvited intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

We got a flyer hand delivered from Lorraine Higgins and written in pen was "sorry i missed you", now I don't really mind it except I was inside looking at her and she didn't attempt to ring the bell.

Usually do the same thing myself when I'm canvassing (Sorry we missed you etc), although would never do it unless I genuinely did try the bell first.

Lot of doorbells out there don't work. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement