Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDD access issue...

• 31-01-2011 11:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have 2 hard driver lying around the house from older laptops that died. I bought a pair of external cases so I could pull the data off them. Quite alot of music and photo's I dont fancy loosing.

So, I connected the first one, 160gb sata, open my computer and I can see an F and G drive. The G is the recovery partion which is useless to me unfortunately, but opens fine and I can browse the contents. When I try to open the F drive it says I need to format the drive. I've tried to open it via my computer to no avail, I went into the properties and disk management to try get in but no joy.

Any tips to this?? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

Oh and one last thing, when I open dskmgmt it shows the F drive is healthy and as "RAW" while all other hard drives (my own 500gb and the other partions on the 160gb) are listed as NTFS. Is this the problem?

Edit: just did a quick google and I see the RAW means its unformatted and needs to be formatted before use. Does this mean the disk was wiped by the old system when it crashed and the data is lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Alfreado wrote: »
    Oh and one last thing, when I open dskmgmt it shows the F drive is healthy and as "RAW" while all other hard drives (my own 500gb and the other partions on the 160gb) are listed as NTFS. Is this the problem?

Edit: just did a quick google and I see the RAW means its unformatted and needs to be formatted before use. Does this mean the disk was wiped by the old system when it crashed and the data is lost?

Probably.

Try running a chkdsk f: and see what filesystem it thinks is on it !

Is that not what I was saying above, all other partions are showing as ntfs but the one I want to access is listed as a raw. I take it from that it's after wiping itself or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Download the free program "Recuva" install it on your computer, run it to check the F drive and see what you get.

Recuva is €20 now. I dont want to chance buying software for it not to work ya know? Tried testdisk last night but it doesn't seem to work on either win7 or just my systen

• Advertisement

Also just ran glary undelete and it showed nothing :(

On a side note, I ordered a 2TB external HDD today for backup. They're such good value at the minute I think after all this trouble I will order another as backup for the backup!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Alfreado wrote: »
    Recuva is €20 now. I dont want to chance buying software for it not to work ya know? Tried testdisk last night but it doesn't seem to work on either win7 or just my systen
    Shocked to read this.
    Good luck with the 2TB. Would be terrified to use that size the nightmare of the loss of DATA would kill me.

Sorry just checked www.downloads.com and this is free
    Recuva 1.39.509

practice wrote: »
    Shocked to read this.
    Good luck with the 2TB. Would be terrified to use that size the nightmare of the loss of DATA would kill me.

Sorry just checked www.downloads.com and this is free
    Recuva 1.39.509

F*** it, the bigger the better. It might take my dvd collection aswell that I've start digitalising!

Will check downloads.com now, i just googled it and on the softwares homepage it said it was €20, cheers for the link!

Advertisement