Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited calls

Options
  • 31-01-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭

Would one of you guys tell me why I am still receiving unsolicited calls from Eircom when my details are clearly recorded in the NDD not to receive marketing calls?

I'm reluctant to make an official complaint to the office of the Data Protection Commissioner but please be advised that if this continues then I will do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Same boat as the OP, on the NDD, and whilst for the most part marketing calls have stopped we are still receiving persistant nuisance and downright annoying calls from an outsource company claiming to be PC doctors who say there is a virus on my PC and that they can remove it ETC ETC ETC.

We have taken to just hanging up on them, but surely the point of the NDD is we dont have to put up with this kind of harassment in the first place

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

PC doctors are scammers. Complaining about them won't do much.

Mega thread here about them. Various solutions offered in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

PC doctors are scammers. Complaining about them won't do much.

Mega thread here about them. Various solutions offered in thread.

So the NDD is useless then really if these guys can just get away with it, not complaining about it doesnt get the issue noticed TBH, I know there scammers, wouldnt let any of them near my PC, but just doing nothing and continually getting calls and harassment from them isnt anyway to solve the problem

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

shinzon wrote: »
    Same boat as the OP, on the NDD, and whilst for the most part marketing calls have stopped we are still receiving persistant nuisance and downright annoying calls from an outsource company claiming to be PC doctors who say there is a virus on my PC and that they can remove it ETC ETC ETC.

We have taken to just hanging up on them, but surely the point of the NDD is we dont have to put up with this kind of harassment in the first place

Shin

Hi shinzon,

I am afraid there are some hoax calls claiming to be from eircom and they may be getting details from other sources ie: the phone book so we can not track them or stop them I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

muffler wrote: »
    Would one of you guys tell me why I am still receiving unsolicited calls from Eircom when my details are clearly recorded in the NDD not to receive marketing calls?

I'm reluctant to make an official complaint to the office of the Data Protection Commissioner but please be advised that if this continues then I will do so.

Hi muffler,

Are you with eircom at the moment?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi muffler,

Are you with eircom at the moment?

Thanks, Mark
    No, I'm not Mark.

I would have been a long standing customer up to around 1999 when broadband became available here and I moved to a different provider/carrier. Following a visit from an Eircom "agent" about 5 or 6 years ago I moved back to Eircom for a very brief period until I got the bills out and realised that what this "agent" told me was sheer, unadulterated lies.

The cold calling isn't conducted on a massive scale but still any call is one too many under the circumstances. I do appreciate that firms have to run a business and seek new customers etc but I would expect an incumbent such as Eircom to fly the flag so to speak when it comes to complying with the data protection laws of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

No, I'm not Mark.

I would have been a long standing customer up to around 1999 when broadband became available here and I moved to a different provider/carrier. Following a visit from an Eircom "agent" about 5 or 6 years ago I moved back to Eircom for a very brief period until I got the bills out and realised that what this "agent" told me was sheer, unadulterated lies.

The cold calling isn't conducted on a massive scale but still any call is one too many under the circumstances. I do appreciate that firms have to run a business and seek new customers etc but I would expect an incumbent such as Eircom to fly the flag so to speak when it comes to complying with the data protection laws of this country.

Hi muffler,
    Thanks again for getting in touch with eircom on boards.
    As my colleague has explained there isn't very much that any one can do to prevent these types of calls.

There are people who pretend to be from eircom, or from other companies, and they may look for access to your PC, or get personal details from you. Some of these companies may not be based in Ireland or even Western Europe, and they have many sources of getting information on your PC and on your phone number /details, etc.

Signing up to the NDB may help prevent some Irish companies from sending un-solicited marketing materials to you.
    I'm afraid the golden rule must always be followed: "When in doubt - rule them out".

Don't allow any one access to your PC. Eircom will never ask for access to you computer, and we will clearly identify ourselves as : For e.g : Technical Support. We will confirm your phone number and eircom account number.

Also, as social networks grow and Internet /web access becomes more and more a normal part of our lives, this situation is likely to grow.
    Please take a look at Forum website, where we have put up some additional assistance for improving your Internet and wireless security :

http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/Forum/default.aspx - Safer Internet Surfing

Please let me know if I can help you further on this or any other issue.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ant thanks for the reply but it appears it was directed at others posting here rather than me. I started this thread regarding marketing calls received from Eircom and/or its agents.

I didnt mention anything about scammers and I would appreciate it if others would see fit to open their own thread on that problem.

Im talking about the guy who lives up the road from me and rings me up telling me how he can save me money and then a few weeks later arrives at the door. Im talking about the guy who rang from Dublin with the hopeful intention of signing me up for a broadband/call package. Im talking about the woman who rang asking to speak to me (I was out at that time) and announced she was from Eircom and just wanted to talk to me.

I could go on but do you see the problem yet?

I'm asking you now in a public forum to state what your policy is in relation to cold calling and how you propose to address the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Ant thanks for the reply but it appears it was directed at others posting here rather than me. I started this thread regarding marketing calls received from Eircom and/or its agents.

I didnt mention anything about scammers and I would appreciate it if others would see fit to open their own thread on that problem.

Im talking about the guy who lives up the road from me and rings me up telling me how he can save me money and then a few weeks later arrives at the door. Im talking about the guy who rang from Dublin with the hopeful intention of signing me up for a broadband/call package. Im talking about the woman who rang asking to speak to me (I was out at that time) and announced she was from Eircom and just wanted to talk to me.

I could go on but do you see the problem yet?

I'm asking you now in a public forum to state what your policy is in relation to cold calling and how you propose to address the issue.

Thanks muffler

Appreciate your comments. My colleage Mark I think has been dealing with you aswell, and has asked you to provide further information. I will advise him further and he will get back to you.

If you need any assistance on any similar issues, please let me know.

My colleague will therefore be in touch with you on your initial query.

Kind regards
    Ant

No, I'm not Mark.

If you are an eircom customer, you can PM me your telephone number or account number I can send a request to remove you from the NDD. There are two options.

(1) To remove your details from receiving sales and marketing calls from eircom.
    (2) To remove your details from receiving sales and marketing calls form (Third party) all other providers.

If you are not an eircom customer then you just need to contact your current provider to be removed from NDD for (Third party) marketing calls.

The process can take up to 28 days from the request being sent.

I hope this was of some help.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement