Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth spending 230 euro on new shutter for 20d

• 31-01-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Just got a quote back from ISS for a new shutter for my 20d. It seems very expensive. I have had a problem with the shutter on this camera for the last while. It's almost as if it sticks and I have to take out the battery and put it back in several times to make it work again.

Wll it add much to the value of the camera if I was to sell it in a year or two for upgrade?

Just looking for peoples opinions on this one. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You can get 20D and 30D's in pretty good nick on eBay for in or around £200 (GBP) so personally I would say 'no' to spending €230 on a shutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Ask yourself how much do they sell for now? how much will that take away from the sale price if you replace the shutter? Is it worth your while spending €230 on a shutter.....thats nearly 1/3 the cost a 2d hand 5D mki.....plus the cash you'd spend when upgrading to a 40D or 5D anyways? In a year or two you might be lucky to get €230 for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if a working 20D is worth more than €230, then potentially yes.
    i.e. your choice could be bin the camera, or spend €230 on it and sell it for, say, €250. you just need to decide if the potential profit margin is worth the hassle of fixing and selling the camera. because the camera is not worth much at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Yeah I think I'll maybe try sell it as faulty on ebay and use the proceeds to get a 40d or something.

Thanks for the advice

A similar thread to this came up before, and I asked a question that never got answered, so seen as we're on asimilar topic, I thought I'd try again;

DSLRs have built in obsolescence, right? They are made to die after X amount of actuations?

To keep thing simple, say the 20D is capable of taking 100 photos. If I take 90 photos, and my shutter gives up, when I get it replaced, does the camera reset itself to think it's taken 00 photos?

In other words, deos replacing a shutter bring a camera back to an "as new" condition (albeit, in a worn body)?

Or does replacing the shutter mean the camera is still on it's deathbed, but you may get an extra year or two out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DSLRs have built in obsolescence, right? They are made to die after X amount of actuations?
    they're not 'built to' die; there's an expected actuations figure given for a camera, and it's how long the shutter *should* last. but there's a camera in the states taking photos at the exit of a rollercoaster which managed 800,000 actuations, which is probably ten times what the camera was rated for. it's a guide, not a killswitch.

the whole actuations thing came up simply because digital SLRs generally take waay more pics than film SLRs, so wear out more quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

there's a 20D for sale in cash converters on moore st for about that price at the moment I think?

that sounds like a reputable place to be buying a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

that sounds like a reputable place to be buying a camera.

two month warranty...beats ebay! :p

but yeah,I wouldn't be buying a camera there but it shows the OP that he'll easily find another 20D for around what the repair costs i.e it's not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

punchdrunk wrote: »
    two month warranty...beats ebay! :p

but yeah,I wouldn't be buying a camera there but it shows the OP that he'll easily find another 20D for around what the repair costs i.e it's not worth it

Well if he bought that one and the shutter failed after 2 months a day where would he be?

Sometimes it's worth spending money to repair something, at least with a new shutter the mechanical item most likely to fail is known to be good, if the general gondition of the rest of the camera is good it might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

To keep thing simple, say the 20D is capable of taking 100 photos. If I take 90 photos, and my shutter gives up, when I get it replaced, does the camera reset itself to think it's taken 00 photos?

In other words, deos replacing a shutter bring a camera back to an "as new" condition (albeit, in a worn body)?

Pretty much, yes. It's like replacing the engine in a car. You have a new engine that will last another 200K miles. The body mightn't last that long though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If it was my camera I would pay the €230 to get a new shutter. I wouldn't be worrying about selling the camera at a later stage. I am almost sure you would get another few years out of it with the new shutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Honestly, I would save another €150 or more and buy a used 30/40d. If you pay the €230 and the shutter goes again in a few month you'll be sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Honestly, I would save another €150 or more and buy a used 30/40d. If you pay the €230 and the shutter goes again in a few month you'll be sick.

But, if you buy a 2nd hand 30/40D, what's to say the shutter in that body won't fail after a few months, or days? ;)

All you get with a camera is a mean time to failure on a shutter.

A new shutter will give your camera a new lease of life ... but ... a newer body will give you newer features.

Personally, I think it would be a good time to upgrade.

If you have camera insurance, you might check and see if it's covered under that, but it probably isn't (normal usage and life span of camera).

true that, but €230 sounds a hell of a lot to fork out on an old 20d. I'd take my chances. I almost always buy used and not one problem to date ;)

If you double your money OP, Pullandbang from this forum has a 40D up on adverts, and you know he'll have looked after it well.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Pretty much, yes. It's like replacing the engine in a car. You have a new engine that will last another 200K miles. The body mightn't last that long though!
    yep, but the shutter is the only moving part, really; unlike a car which has a hell of a lot more moving parts than the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

The shutter is not the only moving part actually, the mirror and gears on the side of the mirror box move too along with a few magnets aswel.

however the mirror box wouldnt wear out for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I'd get the repair done

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

swingking wrote: »
    Yeah I think I'll maybe try sell it as faulty on ebay and use the proceeds to get a 40d or something.

Thanks for the advice

Good plan that and it just so happens that...http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-40d-body-only/425855 :)

I had already tried to help you to a sale earlier :P

If you double your money OP, Pullandbang from this forum has a 40D up on adverts, and you know he'll have looked after it well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement