Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisheen Takeover

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Whoever buys Lisheen will be responsible for the site clean-up between the villages of Moyne and Templetuothy after the closure of the mine in four years. Anglo has set aside more than $30m for this.

What site clean up between Moyne and Templetouhy? The trucks don't generally go that way they go via Urlingford or the Johnstown/Templetouhy road mostly.

Ireland has it's own laws and if the Indian company do buy it then they have to work within Irish laws so don't understand what the problem is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

What site clean up between Moyne and Templetouhy? The trucks don't generally go that way they go via Urlingford or the Johnstown/Templetouhy road mostly.

Ireland has it's own laws and if the Indian company do buy it then they have to work within Irish laws so don't understand what the problem is there.

It's not really anything to do with the roads. It's about the cleanup of the site itself which is located between Moyne and Templetouhy. Mining is extremely risky to the environment and needs to be cleaned up properly or you can end up with heavy metals in the eater table and loads of other really awful scenarios.

Vedanta have shown no regard whatsoever in the past for local planning or environmental regulations so I really can't share your optimism! Anglo American are as dedicated to making money as the next massive company but at least they have an active plan for the mines closure and a dedicated budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

$30m left aside for the clean up?............. I wonder is this money in trust somewhere for this or is the company saying they have it put away somewhere and they'll do it when they're finished..............what are the chances?

beagga wrote: »
    $30m left aside for the clean up?............. I wonder is this money in trust somewhere for this or is the company saying they have it put away somewhere and they'll do it when they're finished..............what are the chances?

I'm as cynical as you about big business, however, when this is the alternative....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedanta_Resources

I think the devil you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

wicklori wrote: »
    I'm as cynical as you about big business, however, when this is the alternative....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedanta_Resources

I think the devil you know...

Certainly no glowing references there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Indian companies seem to work on their home standards of cleaning up an area after them when all the profits have been exhausted,cork harbour been an example in ireland,while the irish taxpayer has to pay to clean it up after the company,the chairman is busy spending €300 million on his daughters wedding,if i was the minister i would want the money in the bank in full before approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

wicklori wrote: »
    Quick decision from a new minister,anybody see anything about John Gormleys reaction?.

Well it looks like the locals aren't ready to give up just yet....

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/Opposition-to-Vedanta-Takeover-of.6709155.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

That meeting was postponed due to the tragic accident that happened there

http://www.rte.eu/news/2011/0203/tipperary.html

and there isnt much word about when it will be now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement