Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bistro Bianconi closed

Options
  • 31-01-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I called up last night to order some pizza and the guy said they had closed/gone out of business. He said he had just sold their last two pizzas. It's a shame. They had the best pizza in Galway imo. the best value for money too and had great customer service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Was one of the best pizza places I had ever eaten at. Fantastic stuff. I always think their location was the biggest problem; if it had been around Shop St., I'd imagine they could have done a lot better.

I wonder if their restaurant in Dublin is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I was a big fan too! Back to Milanos now!! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh no!

No where left in galway to get real good pizza :(

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I don't know if their other shops in Dublin and Sligo are still going. I think it was a mini franchise so I assume so. I felt so bad for the guy on the phone...it sounded like he was pretty down.

I agree their location wasn't great but it shouldn't matter that much for delivery. I thought they were doing ok and was sure their reputation would spread by word of mouth.

I can never get over why the other big chains like 4-Star/Apache/PizzaHut and many others do so well when their prices and food are nowhere near as good. I thought Bianconi were streets ahead in terms of quality, taste and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Both take-away and restaurant in Sligo are still open as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

what do you classify as "good pizza"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Ah damn it, they had really good pizza, where to now?

Something not quite right when Domino's and the likes dominate the market and small operations like the Bistro go bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Mactard wrote: »
    Oh no!

No where left in galway to get real good pizza :(

monroes not good enough for ya?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    monroes not good enough for ya?

Funnily enough I had monroes pizza last week, it was very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I've ordered their pizza once after reading what prices they won and how great this pizza was. To my surprise some grupmy lady arrived with smelly (not fresh enough average) pizza and with greek salad which was a joke ( mostly lettuce and huge pieces of onion with tiny crumbles of feta cheese).
    We paid almost 40 eu and it was VERY dissapointing.
    I am not sorry. I make better pizza at home. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't beat their Aussie pizza tbh!

** drool **

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

it was very average the last couple of times i got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Nooo!!!! One of my favourite pizza places ever. They almost always had specials and regular customers got 2 for one texts and such all the time. The only thing I'd agree with re negative comments was the not great Greek salad. Other than that they were brilliant and prompt. I always found the staff lovely too. Wierdy enough, I passed the Dublin branch yesterday and they were closed, but I thought it was just maybe closed on Sun? Now I dunno?? The Sligo one does great trade and is lovely for sit in. Too bad!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Terrible news, I hope it re-opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

The few times i got a pizza from there, they were underdone.
    The delivery was usually cold too.
    That being said they did use some nice ingredients and their pizzas were well made. If they had paid a little more attention to detail then i would have used them a bit more. Sorry to see them close nonetheless, especially given the enthusiasm that some showed for their pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Two weeks ago, I rang Bianconi for a pick up pizza, as i have often done before. They always answered the phone by calling me by my name which was a bit freakish.

Anyway, when I rang 2 weeks ago at around 7pm on a Sunday, the phone rang out. I phoned again ten mins later but still no answer.

That's when i had no option but to go to the newly opened Domino's across the road from them. I had never had a Domino pizza before and to my surprise, it was damn tasty. i like spicy ingredients and there was no shortage of jalapenos and salami. I will be back.

That's life man.

Sorry for the people who lost jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry to hear this, more people on the dole, suppliers with less to supply, knock on effects.

On a side note, some of the smaller takeaways do some very good pizzas. Have had a few in Jack Jordans (Doughiska) of late and the pizzas have been lovely and for under a tenner as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Goddamn it-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Best delivery pizza joint in Galway imo.

No more Michelangelos :(

It is truely a dark day.

Thank you Bistro Bianconi for many wonderful, joy-inducing pizza dinners.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thats terrible news, easily the best in galway, i actually think that we got the last two pizzas out of there yesterday eve:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Noooooo! All my favorite places are closing... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm not too surprised they closed, they didn't advertise very well and their location was a bit rubbish. I always found their pizzas didn't really taste of much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Meh.

I ate there a few times with my kids and was underwhelmed each time. I ate in the place in Sligo and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and service.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Meh.

I ate there a few times with my kids and was underwhelmed each time. I ate in the place in Sligo and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and service.

'cptr

Have to say the place in Sligo was nicer alright. The one in Galway was hit and miss. Sometimes great other times..meh..Sligo always seems busy, nice Italian decor and good service plus awesome food

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Bianconi seem to have opened in Clarinbridge, where the Old School House was before. I assume it's the same outfit : the wee car is parked at the front of the establishment.
    I haven't been there yet ... but it should happen soon :)

ValerieR

oops - wrong outfit ... was thinking of the Italian "Basilico" in Oranmore - Sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

have tried bianconni a few times - happy enough with the food.

we regulary get pizza from Da Robertas in Salthill and have to say it is hard to beat once you manage to collect in time i.e. hot - no matter what they say be there early to collect it - i.e. 5 mins after order.

may not be the cheapest in the world but very good in my opinion!

dominos/ four star etc.. not even worth a mention - dont know how people eat that stuff. check out where the ingredients are sourced from

sad to see another business close down.

city center is starting to permanently smell of fast food with all the new outlets. beats the smell of bitumen from the docks but people must be eating an awful lot of junk food for all these places to survive/ open up!

big opening for a some what healthy fast food outlet in the city at the moment

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd never even heard of them ? Where were they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

The one in Dublin has been closed for a month now I think. Very dissapointed that I won't have another Carne Amore, or one of the Bianconi Parcels :(

The Dublin one actually closed down for a while last year and was re-opened. Fingers crossed that it will happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

Great garlic bread will miss it for my Friday night takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Sad to see anywhere closing and people losing their jobs but I thought it was very over-rated, tasteless food. Ed's New York Pizza on the other hand I miss in a big way.

Advertisement