Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bistro Bianconi closed

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's a nice pizza joint between naughtons and buskers in town. Do some great grub in there.
    Shame about Bianconi. Was in there recently enough as I go in the odd time for lunch. Priced a bit high for its location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Always wanted to try that place because i always heard good things but compared to all the other pizza out there (apart from Monroes) it was really expensive. Considering they were out in Rahoon, you'd think the price would be a bit cheaper with the lower rent etc. The only good pizza (after Monroes but its so pricey) in Galway now is that place beside neachtains, if you like the New York style that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I think the pizza beside Neacthain's is only ok.

And they definitely need to leave it in the oven for much longer. I have to ask them to leave it in twice as long if not 3 times longer than what they would normally leave it in for. A lot of the cheese is cold if I don't ask them to do it. One girl can't seem to get it into her head that I want it in for 5 mins, not 1. I ask her to leave it in for 5, she brings it down to me after 2, I ask her to put it back in, she takes it back down to me after 3 mins, I have to ask her again to leave it in for 5 mins.

I actually like cold pizza, say, the morning after it was bought, but I don't like it when it's cold when some of it is hot.

When it's hot and crisp in that place though, it's really nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Jaysis i've never had that problem in there. It's always piping hot for me. The only problem i've ever had in there was a couple of times the girl behind the counter didn't have any english and couldn't understand a word i was saying or couldn't give me the price....in english. Dont think shes there anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

drum! wrote: »
    Always wanted to try that place because i always heard good things but compared to all the other pizza out there (apart from Monroes) it was really expensive. Considering they were out in Rahoon, you'd think the price would be a bit cheaper with the lower rent etc. The only good pizza (after Monroes but its so pricey) in Galway now is that place beside neachtains, if you like the New York style that is.

I actually thought it was reasonable if you used their vouchers and their midweek offers, they also texted 2 pizza for €20 offers to customers. I don't think they distributed these widely enough however. They also had really good value various combo offers of sides, pasta or antipasto deals. The quality of their ingredients and the base were better than any other pizza I've had in Galway.

I'm surprised by some of the comments about bad experiences. I always found their pizza really tasty and generous in terms of toppings (not to mention real quality toppings unlike most places) and size of pizza. I used them probably 50 times in total over the last few years and maybe only once or twice were things not up to scratch. They also called me up once or twice asking if everything was ok. Most of the chains' pizzas I've tasted are like eating spongy cardboard with really bad toppings/with stingy portions as someone else has mentioned.

I tried Capone's in Knockncarra and it was ok (but overpriced unless you use a voucher) but will probably use it again. Other than that you get a half decent fresh one in Tesco for €5 with some gourmet toppings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I was a regular customer there, and other pizza places in Galway just weren't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Big big shame was a regular there and they will be sadly missed. The two that ran it were two of the nicest people you could meet and they, and the staff they employed, always made you welcome. Can't help thinking that Dominoes opening across the road was the final straw though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The only decent place to get a Pizza in Sligo. Suprised it never took off down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Where was Bistro Bianconi in town?

Where was Bistro Bianconi in town?

It wasn't in town...it was in Westside shopping centre beside Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

Fat Freddy's is quite good, but it's a pain to get into town if you're not in the center. Just Eat deliver from there but it costs a little more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I was just there last week too and I thought the pizzas I got looked a little under par. Normally they are amazing. I carry out so I've no idea about the delivery. They were well pricey alright, pay-day only fare!
    Pity. I wonder if the rent crippled them in the end. If they dropped the price a few euro they'd have had me in twice as often anyway.

Edit: Never liked the Monroe's ones myself. Mizzoni is always cheap 'n' cheerful for delivery though. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

Sad to see a local business closing in Westside. Hopefully not too many people are left out of work for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I am really sorry to see this place go. It was good pizza & the staff were always pleasant. Only reason I didn't use the place more often was price. There was one time when I had a voucher that should have been valid but they wouldn't honour it. I walked because I simply couldn't have afforded to give them my business.

I love pizza and eat it from most places (except Dominos). Best pizza I have ever had was in a little (but popular) place in Brooklyn, New York called Grimaldi's. When I judge pizza places over here I don't bother comparing them with Grimaldi's, otherwise I'd never be happy.

To anyone that is planning on getting in to selling pizza, price is very important. If you can offer quality with deals at an accessible price point you'll do well. People generally want quality take away food for under €10 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I am really sorry to see this place go. It was good pizza & the staff were always pleasant. Only reason I didn't use the place more often was price. There was one time when I had a voucher that should have been valid but they wouldn't honour it. I walked because I simply couldn't have afforded to give them my business.

I love pizza and eat it from most places (except Dominos). Best pizza I have ever had was in a little (but popular) place in Brooklyn, New York called Grimaldi's. When I judge pizza places over here I don't bother comparing them with Grimaldi's, otherwise I'd never be happy.

To anyone that is planning on getting in to selling pizza, price is very important. If you can offer quality with deals at an accessible price point you'll do well. People generally want quality take away food for under €10 per person.

Best I had was in New York also it was Famiglia...so nice. Eds NY Pizza here wasn't close to it but I really loved Ed's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

/Vader

Damnit - I loved these guys :(

I remember ringing them a few months back and wondering why I couldn't get through. Shoulda realised...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mad, I was just ringing them 5 mins ago and got a weird tone.

Ah bugger...when I saw this thread resurrected I was hoping they had re-opened!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah, way to go raising our hope there guy's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Sorry! Was talking about pizza with some guys at work and recommended it and someone said they'd heard it was gone.

Did a google and then had to pay my respects :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tomfodge

Loved that place they had lovely buffalo wings and pizza

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I reckon some rose-tinted spectacles going on. It was a cafe attached to a supermarket. The pizza was reasonable to forgettable and they made some salads and sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomfodge

I reckon some rose-tinted spectacles going on. It was a cafe attached to a supermarket. The pizza was reasonable to forgettable and they made some salads and sandwiches.

We are all entitled to our opinions and just because you dont agree with mine obviously, what gives you the right to dismiss my opinion?

Yes it was beside a supermarket.
    Imo the pizza was great as were the buffallo wings.
    Never had any salad or a sandwich there perhaps you went once and got stung!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Weren't they world pizza champs a few years in a row? Not that a 'championship' is the be all and end all of taste test, but the fact that they stood by their product enough to enter is telling.

Their pizzas were excellent imo, they offered choice toppings you couldn't get elsewhere. Their premises were not awe inspiring but the staff were nice and friendly. Obviously their pizza was not *that* forgettable, in that it inspired a whole discussion on boards!:p

Advertisement