Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it Legal to wear a ballaclave for going down the shops?

• 31-01-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Was freezing my tits off this morning so grabbed an old bally i had ;)
    My russian hat was gone missing so no alternative. It was rolled up on my head, but at a traffic light i rolled it down. Looking like something from the Spetsnaz i drove around 5 minutes. the looks from other drivers was too much. so i took it off,
    Which begs the question is going about your every day business with a balaclava on legal? If not why are some muslim woman allowed wear bukhas? On religious grounds?
    I could set up the Cult of the ballaclava and wear it on religious grounds,:D
    just wondering!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Try it and see OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Legal to wear, but also legal for them to refuse admission...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its not that cold outside.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Turn the heating on in your car :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

....against fashion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was cold this morning and wore my Ku Klux Klan hat out, the looks I got off some people was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Legal to wear alright, have one at home and use it when the weather is real bad. Haven't driven with it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

sure, ill run into the local boozer all panicky looking with the herald after work and order a pint of Heino with it on for the crack and sit up at the bar. See how it grabs them. ( for research purposes)

krudler wrote: »
    I was cold this morning and wore my Ku Klux Klan hat out, the looks I got off some people was ridiculous

Yeah my one is get dry cleaned at the moment so it wasnt an option

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

krudler wrote: »

it's coz you had it on backwards krudler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

sure, ill run into the local boozer all panicky looking with the herald after work and order a pint of Heino with it on for the crack and sit up at the bar. See how it grabs them. ( for research purposes)

Not the best idea OP. I've still to work in a bar without some form of potentially deadly weapon under the counter. I've seen shotguns there but my weapon of choice was the handle of a pick, light to swing and hard enough to break bone. Only had to use it once to clear the pub while some caravan dwelling individuals were tearing the place apart one afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Saw a few people wearing them back in December on the street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i wore one during the cold period in December whist shovelling snow in my back garden, and answered the front door of my house to a postal courier, he jumped back when he saw me, must of gave him some scare, probably thought i was burglaring the house.

Wonder what it be like if i walked into xtravision wearing one or a bank :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mmm, baklava .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Whatever about the legality...just be careful where you wear it. Down Crumlin/Drimnagh direction you might be mistaken for someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought they were all the rage in Belfast.....South Armagh, Derry.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

RichieC wrote: »

He looks like a right donker tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Balaclava's are standard issue to the NYPD.
    VERY VERY similar to this one

http://ermasu.com/armylook/images/or-balaclava.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sure why not OP......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

i drove around 5 minutes.
    You DROVE around wearing a balaclava and are wondering why you got strange looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

My russian hat was gone missing so no alternative. It was rolled up on my head, but at a traffic light i rolled it down. Looking like something from the Spetsnaz i drove around 5 minutes. the looks from other drivers was too much. so i took it off,
    Which begs the question is going about your every day business with a balaclava on legal? If not why are some muslim woman allowed wear bukhas? On religious grounds?
    just wondering!

depends on ugliness levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

There was a time back in the 60's when balaclava's were fashionable and not associated with robberies etc

Here is an early standard issue: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boys-Hats-Balaclava-Pompom-60s-Vintage-Knitting-Pattern-/270677208732

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Legal to wear, although the folks in the unmarked car might want to have a few words with you. Just saying.. There really should be any reason to cover your face while driving a car. Gives the impression that your up too no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Legal - Yes :)
    Socially Acceptable - No :(
    Hats ftw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you were that cold and not wanting any suspicious looks, just wear a woolly burkha ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

msg11 wrote: »
    Legal to wear, although the folks in the unmarked car might want to have a few words with you. Just saying.. There really should be any reason to cover your face while driving a car. Gives the impression that your up too no good.

The reason is "because I want to".

What about someone with facial disfigurement? Should they be stopped on sight?

I wear a balaclava when it's cold. They're right yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

As far as head wear goes, it's up their with burberry caps as no-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

just wondering!

If your tits were freezing what good was putting on a balaclava? hardly keep them warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I was freezing this morning, so I set myself on fire. The looks I got off people....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

They're great on cold windy days but not worth it for the attention they get you.

You also run the risk of getting picked up if there happens to be a robbery nearby, and then you have to convince the fuzz that it wasn't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The bass player in my old band used to always where one. He has long hair, and just wore it as a beanie with is hair coming out of the top of it, through the mouthpiece. I don't think anyone ever copped that it was actually a balaclava though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm regularly seen putting two on, out side banks, shops etc,. But the I'm on a bike and the helmet goes over them. I have one thermal and one normal. The kids psssing by generally love it.

So I have a good reason for them, and legally that is what it comes down to. I know of a person who was sent to trial just for having one, though it was late a night and he was a know criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That's stupid.

How would you drink your pint?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

its not illegal but it is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

He looks like a right donker tbh.

Wash your mouth out with soap for speaking ill of Jon Glaser like that :mad:

Victor wrote: »
    That's stupid.

How would you drink your pint?

Easy it has a mouth hole!!! Im talking about the proper bally . see attached picture. i took it last night on my way home;)

Advertisement