Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Stardust: 30 Years

Options
  • 31-01-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭

Just a reminder that this is on tonight at 10PM on TV3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I grew up quite close to the Stardust site and would have known a few families affected by this tragedy. It'll be interesting to see how this documentary deals with the subject. Thanks for the reminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Heartbreaking stuff. Hard to believe no-one's been held accountable for such a thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Harrowing alright. Jaysus - that poor woman that lost two daughters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And her surviving daughter describing how the priest told her (when he shouldn't have) that her sisters were dead. That was just heart-wrenching and horrific...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've tried watching a few shows about The Stardust and haven't been able to get through a complete one yet - way too distressing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

I've tried watching a few shows about The Stardust and haven't been able to get through a complete one yet - way too distressing for me.

Could ya imagine how it feels for those affected? The whole thing was a disaster, The way these people were treated after the fire & still to this day being denied any justice or closure, Is that much to ask for in 2011? The truth about how your children were burned alive???? Sickening, Typical charlie haughey/ fianna fail red tape & cover up antics I really hope these people get their well overdue justice soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

my ma was supposed to be their that night, her 2 best mates ( i mean, practically born together ) died with their boyfriends of the time in their.

every time i go out anywhere ( even being that somewhat manly figure i am ) she gives me the full be careful speech and worries sick about me all night.

i dont live at home anymore

R.I.P to those gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My dad was on duty that night with the DFB. Normally a stoic man and (unfortunatly) used to seeing harrowing scenes that night really shook him and that anger/helplessness he felt never left him. Any time since when we drove past the site I would see his knuckles growing white as he clenched his hands on the steering wheel.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This case is harrowing, absolutely devastating. I wasn't even conceived in 1981 and i'm a long way from Artane but i can tell you this tragedy affects me greatly every time I hear about it. And things have not changed I can tell you that. There is pubs in both Clonmel and Kilkenny that are cattle pens. If one fight broke out in a bottle necked area it could prove catastrophic.

The fire brigade finally closed down one spot in Kilkenny after about 6 or 7 years. They finally concluded :rolleyes: that steps down into a night club may prove hazardous and it was only bloody way out of the place also.

The culture of greed and cronyism didn't die along with those poor 48 people on 14-2-81, no......in fact it had just come of age. Bad enough the people of Artane had to deal with that tragedy but Charles Haughey, who depended greatly on their votes, basically gave them the middle fingered salute in their fight for justice.

If there was such thing as justice, that bastard Butterly would have been struck off from ever owning a bar or entertainment license again and would have been doing hard porridge in mount joy for corporate manslaughter.

In South Korea they jailed businessmen when a shopping center roof caved in and killed 501 people. 7 years wasn't alot for 501 lives but at least they got jail and not the equivalent of 1 million euro from the state but sure in our case.........

"They were all Fíanna Fáilers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

anyone know if this is available on tv3.ie
    cant seem to find it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Pdfile wrote: »
    my ma was supposed to be their that night, her 2 best mates ( i mean, practically born together ) died with their boyfriends of the time in their.

every time i go out anywhere ( even being that somewhat manly figure i am ) she gives me the full be careful speech and worries sick about me all night.

i dont live at home anymore

R.I.P to those gone :(

my ma was meant to be there too but she was sick after having me 11 days previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

DeadParrot wrote: »
    anyone know if this is available on tv3.ie
    cant seem to find it

I don't think that it is. I was looking for it a few minutes ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A Truly Powerful song from 1 of only 2 people charged in the connection with the Stardust tragedy, the other being a father of two of the victims.

Of course Mr Butterly escaped all culpability in this crooked elitist warped society we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone know when this will be re-shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Yeah, really wanted to see this, pity it wasn't on rte - it would be available on the FAR rte superior player than tv3's crap:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

SantryRed wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be re-shown?

Don't think It will be re shown BUT as far as I know RTE have one on monday night too, There's also a candle lit vigil at the site of the disaster on monday night for the 30th anniversary.

Luke G wrote: »
    Don't think It will be re shown BUT as far as I know RTE have one on monday night too, There's also a candle lit vigil at the site of the disaster on monday night for the 30th anniversary.

Is that the drama RTE showed on the 25th anniversary?

Remembering Stardust: 30 Years - I've dropped it on the web for anyone who missed it, grab it here, only 440mb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is that the drama RTE showed on the 25th anniversary?

They're showing a new half-hour Scannall program about it I think.

They may be reshowing the drama too though.

• Advertisement

Heres the drama for anyone who missed it:D

See my post further up this page for a link to Remembering Stardust: 30 Years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It's hard to believe it's been 30 years. I just remember being in bed that morning and hearing the radio on at full blast, then my father saying "Jesus - 44 dead" (which was reported at the time). The day was surreal, Mum was in tears and the TV was giving highlights throughout the day - a lot of programmes were cancelled. Can't imagine what it was like for those affected!

We found out our local GP had 2 daughters at the nightclub that night, but they escaped without injury.

The victims and their families are deep in my thoughts today.

kelle wrote: »
    It's hard to believe it's been 30 years. I just remember being in bed that morning and hearing the radio on at full blast, then my father saying "Jesus - 44 dead" (which was reported at the time). The day was surreal, Mum was in tears and the TV was giving highlights throughout the day - a lot of programmes were cancelled. Can't imagine what it was like for those affected!

We found out our local GP had 2 daughters at the nightclub that night, but they escaped without injury.

The victims and their families are deep in my thoughts today.

The tragedy itself is hard enough to accept but the whitewash that followed was unforgivable. Pure cronyism written all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

It's a sad time for anyone connected with the area. There but for the grace of god go I. That and the fact that other half was working late night in Dunnes Stores that night. Went for a few scoops with a mate in the Blacker before going down to the stardust. The bouncers would not let us in as he thought we had too much to drink. I thank that man to this day for not letting us in that night.
    To the many friends that did not come home from the dance you will never be forgotten.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I remember hearing this on the radio (Radio Nova) when I was only 11. I remember running in and waking my parents to tell them of the disaster.

It sticks in my mind as the first piece of news I head that I knew was 'serious stuff'.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Advertisement