Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour launch a plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0131/breaking45.html

Main points of Labour’s Plan for Digital Ireland :
    1) Promote the establishment of NetCo, a new private company to begin the roll-out of next-generation broadband.

2) Develop a broadband rating system for every property being sold or rented.

3) Appoint a chief information officer to encourage cloud computing and e-government

4) Make a digital single market one of Ireland’s priorities in its European agenda

5) Encourage investment in next-generation broadband by facilitating the appropriate regulatory culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

2) Develop a broadband rating system for every property being sold or rented.

Broadband Test Official - thats the job for me. As an intro offer I'll do a broadband test, a BER cert, a radon test, two double-glazed windows and tarmac for the drive……. 5 grand all-in. I can't say fairer than that.
    alright…. I'll throw in a fondue set and the steak knives. Yer robbin' me now.

Liz McManus and Alan Kelly are the culprits apparently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTcB7orNAzA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

clohamon wrote: »
    Liz McManus and Alan Kelly are the culprits apparently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTcB7orNAzA
    I heard them saying NGB i wonder would that be same as Eircom NGB .I say that because not once did they say Fibre broadband which would be the key for growth.

rob808 wrote: »
    I heard them saying NGB i wonder would that be same as Eircom NGB .I say that because not once did they say Fibre broadband which would be the key for growth.

Yes, and there it is on page 31. But they also mention FTTH and FTTC.

Googling "NGB" you get

The US national guard
    NGB Inc. A private company
    The National Gambling Board of South Africa
    Eircom - Next Generation Broadband

Not a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

rob808 wrote: »

Just in terms of the advertising issue, and Eircom's misnaming of its broadband, the plan will require ComReg to force ISPs to provide data on average speed rather than maximum speed, and will require advertisements to state the actual download quote per month, and stop this, Unlimited broadband ads, which actually mean 30 gig per month.

Beyond that,
    From the document:
    Broadband is usually defined by the speed or bandwidth of the connection. This is the amount of data that can be transferred per second to the user (download) or from the user (upload).

A dial-up internet connect has a bandwidth of up to 56 kilobits per second (56kbps). An average broadband speed today is around 2 Mbps, around 40 times faster.

Next Generation Broadband (100 Mb/s or above) would be at least 15 times faster again. Furthermore, this connection would be symmetric, meaning that the download bandwidth is similar to the upload bandwidth. This is not the case currently, as most connections are asymmetric.

Later on, they state:
    Labour envisages that the network will take the form of distinct solutions
    depending on population density. The vast majority of the network connecting to households (the last mile) will be fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) providing an
    enormous increase in speeds to every citizen. Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)
    upgrades could serve as a medium term opportunity for improved service.

In more remote areas where population density increases costs significantly, the network will utilize next generation wireless technologies to provide Next
    Generation Broadband. In cases of extreme remoteness, satellite technology will be required to provide cost-effective solutions. All of these networks will be underpinned by an improved core network.

Advertisement