Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate for work...

Options
  • 31-01-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi, just thought it was worth posting here, maybe someone knows of jobs going and can help... As the title suggests, I'm desperate. I have just had to drop out of college because the VEC were making it as awkward as they possibly could for me to get any funding which I am more than entitled to because of my circumstances. I have zero funds at this stage and have tons of outstanding bills, rent almost due and no support available from parents, family etc (and friends can't help) so my outlook is pretty bleak.

I have been busting my ass since September trying to get work, and had a part time Christmas job which just about paid some bills but now I'm back to square one. And to top it off I have to be officially out of college for 3 months before I can sign onto the dole. I keep applying for jobs (I spend hours a day online and around town) and I've even been making prospective enquiries anywhere I can think of but despite a few interviews (which seemed to be promising but didn't lead to an offer) I've got nowhere and I'm really feeling the effects of it, not just financially but I'm feeling really worthless.

Does anyone know of any jobs going that might be on the down low/kept for friends of friends etc??? I have experience in retail (sales and management), bar work, waitressing, admin and customer service, and promotional work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

You can go to your community welfare officer, inquire at the social welfare office in town as to where they are (not over the phone, they haven't answered a phone in a couple of years, last I heard), and they will sort you out with an emergency supplementary welfare allowance. Keep in mind that this is means tested, so you'll be asked why you can't move back in with your parents, as well as looking at your rent receipts and bank balance for the last year. If this is denied as it may be, you can then appeal twice over it.

I may have a basic position in sales opening up in a couple of weeks, so I'll send you a pm if that transpires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

They are looking for a waitress in buon appetito beside halo. Cash converters on Mary Street is looking for part time staff. They were looking for staff for serving hospital dinners in UHG. Just leave a cv in the restaurant. The bag shop downstairs in Corbett Court are looking for a part time assistant manager and I think Claire Accessories are looking for staff too.

Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Most of the Medical Device factories have been taking on in the last few weeks. Give ICE a shout in Liosban Ind Est.
    G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Most of the Medical Device factories have been taking on in the last few weeks. Give ICE a shout in Liosban Ind Est.
    G'luck

Do you know which ones specifically?

Is it better to go thru an agency or apply dircet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

paulgalway wrote: »
    Do you know which ones specifically?

Is it better to go thru an agency or apply dircet?

I doubt they Hire directly anymore, its more easy to Hire from an Agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    You can go to your community welfare officer ... they will sort you out with an emergency supplementary welfare allowance. .... If this is denied as it may be, you can then appeal twice over it.

They may do that. Or they may not. If it's correct that the OP needs to wait three months after dropping out of college before s/he can sign on, then s/he may not be eligible.

I'd suggest the State Benefits forum and/or Citizens Information to research that side of things more thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

JustMary wrote: »
    If it's correct that the OP needs to wait three months after dropping out of college before s/he can sign on, then s/he may not be eligible.
    Everybody without an income is eligible, regardless of whether or not they are entitled to normal social welfare allowances, and this includes people like the self employed who haven't been paying class A PRSI, although it's to a certain extent a discretionary call on the part of the CWO, hence the mention of the appeals process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ericsinjun wrote: »
    G'luck

And give Collins McNicholas a shout. My employer uses them..

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Being unemployed is horrible and I can sympathize with you feeling worthless, but I don't think you are.

Obviously contacts is the way to go for jobs but it does not stop you from continuing to send out cv's and working the numbers. Sorry if the below is a bit OTT but I dont quite know how to put this without it sounding harsh but what the hell, I like to break things down, and I mean well :-)

Down to fundamentals now
    Good news:
    - You are saying that you are pumping out cv's and making calls and that you have in fact been called to a few interviews
    - You must be very tenacious and doing something right since you are getting to the interview stage so I am assuming your CV is good / presentable (even if your track record is not great, for obvious reasons)

Bad News
    - You are failing at the interview stage for some reason and not getting any jobs (this is the most daunting and hardest part so it is not that strange)

What I would suggest is that you focus on just the interview part. Think about why you are failing in the interview stage. Could you maybe ask friends (or even neutrals) why they think you could be failing? Is it your appearance (you can be as pc as you like but this matters big time) ? Is it your demeanor? Do you come across as desperate? Are you well prepared (and have you done the right sort of prep?) Try and put some effort in to analyzing this and see if maybe someone you know that is a manager / someone you know to do a mock interview? It is good practice. Something like this could tip the scales in your favour in an interview = result.

What I am getting at here is focus on what you actually can improve. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I've seen a couple of people mention agencies.
    I've been unemployed for a few months now and been applying for jobs constantly over that time. Just curious as to whether these agencies actually are good for finding work, and which ones are the best??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

The Sweater Shop inside the front door of Corbett Court is looking for sales staff too. They often seem to be looking, for some reason, but it's one more place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And to top it off I have to be officially out of college for 3 months before I can sign onto the dole.

Who told you this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nugget89 wrote: »
    I've been unemployed for a few months now and been applying for jobs constantly over that time. Just curious as to whether these agencies actually are good for finding work, and which ones are the best??

ICE were good a few years ago. No idea about now. CPL are good for IT work...

ICE do Boston Scientific. Contact Cregg for Medtronic..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Contact the jobs club in Galway:

Galway Jobs Club
    Sponsor: Galway People Resource Ctr.
    Canavan House
    Nuns Island
    Co. Galway
    Tel: +353 (0)91 566485
    Fax: +353 (0)91 566491

They are brilliant for reviewing your CV and interview prep. I went to one last year when I was applying for a professional role. The lady really knew her stuff and gave me such a grilling mock interview that the real thing felt like a breeze.

I was gonna spend 600 euro on those professional cv places but so glad I found this first. They really are excellent at what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What sort of idiot would spend 600euro to get their CV done?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nugget89 wrote: »

I've had work out of a couple. The thing is, you need to get into a consultant's mind as good and reliable. Just registering won't do it, somehow you need to find a way for them to think of you when they're looking for someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Ficheall wrote: »
    What sort of idiot would spend 600euro to get their CV done?

No amount of pretty formatting can enhance your actual qualifications or suitability to a job.

If the €600 goes towards bending the truth or plain lying, then it's a very dubious and unsavoury service being offered.

No amount of pretty formatting can enhance your actual qualifications or suitability to a job.

If the €600 goes towards bending the truth or plain lying, then it's a very dubious and unsavoury service being offered.

Well, no. There are many ways of presenting the same information. Fair enough if you're applying for a job in Tesco, but this was a higher end job and I needed someone to anticipate what the employer was looking for along with interview prep.

In any case I saved the money as the lady in the jobs club did a fantastic job.

8 months of getting no response to a CV vs. getting offered the first job I used the CV for speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Thank you all so much for feedback and suggestions.

I can't help but feel it is something to do with the interview stage as some have said, though I am not particularly bad at them from my point of view, I do an incredible amount of preparation and consider my appearance and grooming to be quite immaculate... I put a lot of effort in, hence why the disappointment affects me so much.

I have had a huge knock in confidence over recent months and am currently dealing with social anxiety and depression so reckon this may come across in my interview though I try very hard to hide it and come across as employable, enthusiastic, motivated, ready to work hard etc! It may just be that someone else in the interview is more suited to the role quite simply, but I take it personally (I know I shouldn't but can't help but try to analyse my failure).

I have another interview tomorrow, which I'm putting double effort into and if that fails it does look like I'll have to seek advice and help elsewhere...

Is the Galway Jobs Club a free service? As I said in original post, I'm totally beyond broke so can't pay a penny.

• Advertisement

Yep, completely free. They are brilliant and more than happy to help, give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I needed someone to anticipate what the employer was looking for

Did you not have a job description?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did you not have a job description?

Yes, but believe it or not there more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

The Coop in Moycullen is looking for staff. I have friends who worked there it's a nice place to work.
    Also there are few more jobs in today's advertiser
    Good luck in your job search

Advertisement