Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SELF EMPLOYED AND SIGNING ON

• 31-01-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there, Im new to this but am looking for advice.
    Im self employed with two member of staff who have in the last 3 months had wages reduced due to lack of business. My company for 2010 accounts showed a loss of 16k and this year isnt looking any better. I personally have no money left and the only way the business is still going is family. Im trying to reduce my mortgage to interest only, to help keep the business open. What Im trying to find out, if I would be entitled to get a medical card or even job seekers allowance whilst being an employer??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Being self employed isn't easy unfortunately, and as far as I know, we're not entitled to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Clahae

Thats the impression im getting, so much for helping the small businesses. WillI have to let the guys go then close business before I can even apply?? (if it gets much worse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

In the same boat myself Clahae and i'm planning on getting to the SW office tomorrow. I don't have the 2010 accounts but have 2009 and my Bank Statements. I think if you're not working a 5 day week you may be entitled to something under the JSA but not a whole pile i'm sure :mad:

Will let you know how i get on

Please do hennybug, will be interested to hear how you get on.. Do you have to go to the main social welfare office in Galway, or one of the local centres?

Hennybug wrote: »
    In the same boat myself Clahae and i'm planning on getting to the SW office tomorrow. I don't have the 2010 accounts but have 2009 and my Bank Statements. I think if you're not working a 5 day week you may be entitled to something under the JSA but not a whole pile i'm sure :mad:

Will let you know how i get on

Definitely let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

Im working 5 days a week, so I dont know if thats going to make any difference, as I realistically wont be able to look for work at the moment...

AFAIK, it's not about the time you work, it's about turnover/sales - if you're not making enough to live on, they'll look at it on a case by case basis.

AFAIK ???

As far as I know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moving this to state benefits, I think they may know a bit more about it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Well i've been in this morning, and will be making an applicaiton for Jobseekers Allowance. i have all the forms to fill up and i go back next week to meet with someone and give them the information they are looking for, proof of ID, address, and letter from Accountant confirming reduced hours/income.

It's means tested and will take at least weeks and probably months before you get anything if you're entitled to it. As a self employed person you will get a home visit from an Inspector and will need the 2010 Accounts for that.

Clahae from the form at least it looks like you would need to be available for some work so working 5 days a week would probably exclude you.

Will keep you up to date and how it's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Hi op

Don't make the mistake of throwing good money after bad.

If you feel your business is failing and you are borrowing money from your family solely to pay staff you need to know when to call it a day.

You will never recover from a personal bankruptcy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UNI4MER

What's the reason your business is failing? If you had a way to revitalize it would you be open to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Can't hurt to apply for the medical card anyway. They means test you for a GP visit card at the same time. And you can apply online www.medicalcard.ie

I don't know much about it, but the Family Income Supplement might be an option for you.

Good luck.

Am applying for medical card n think I'll get it, looking to get jsa as can be able 4 work (in theory) for a few days work, even tho it isn't in reality.. How long can u get jsa??
    It's a bloody joke how difficult it is to get help.. At times just feel like going grrrr how hard to keep employees going , local area, pride n hope is keeping me going..

Advertisement