Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choose Your Own Adventure - DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Sorry I made you sad. :(

Got your PM; I'll work on posting tonight.
    ah don't worry ^^ I'm happy now :P

great post, really set a nice eery mood around the place

about Apollo and Eva:
    they haven't turned crazy like that lady did and they aren't mental like James was, I think they're the same as you, just looking to survive.

About gerrin outta there:
    with full access you can finally see what the weapon count is, how things are stored at night and how well gaurded things are 24/7, take a look around and see if their are anymore vehicles, I have a feeling dolenz is gonna want to keep you at all costs and at the moment you've got the only Car you know about, if you can get out of their with a stocked up car after a week or two of holing and raiding things could be real good for a while at least, you might not be able to get all the way out of the city, but things will have calmed down and you'll be ok for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Great writing, CTL. The "stick or twist" (i.e. stay or leave) conundrum is just as tense a decision as being faced with zees and "fight or flight".

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Great writing, CTL. The "stick or twist" (i.e. stay or leave) conundrum is just as tense a decision as being faced with zees and "fight or flight".

Thanks...though I can't take all the credit. SmileyPaul put the idea in my ear, and I just ran with it. :)

The ideas are always there, people just need to realise them :)

that was all you :)

I'm next up - I'll post my part tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I'm next up - I'll post my part tomorrow morning.

needs more dinosaurs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I need my fix, im strung out on the story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I think I am up next on the rota, I will have to give my installment a miss though

Stuupid Exams.:(

Good luck in the exams, deise go deo.

So is it phil106 up next then? Phil - let me know if you'll be posting next and I'll pm you my outcomes.

• Advertisement

sure, if deise has exams ill go next.

Ill pop it up sometime tonight/tomorrow morning.

DakotaYoda - that was a very clever entry. Most of us have have ended with choices of "immediate" consequence - fight or flight etc. I was wondering how to widen out to offer a strategic choice but I hadn't figured it out - your mechanism of calling the group together for a vote was ingenious. It's great to have a mix of styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Thanks wavehopper. Was just trying to do something a little bit different and it worked out ok. I usually try and throw in a couple ideas that other people could take off with but that aren't exactly key to my part of the story.

I should note - The food/water bit was mainly about the food. It was previously defined that there is already a well on the premises of the school. Just a note... Oh small gardens too but I'd guess not enough to sustain everyone in the school.

Also there was a note about finding weapons/ammo in Ireland - we're in Ireland? :eek::eek::eek: ;):D

I assume we are in alternate reality ireland, like our own world but with zombies...and guns!

phill106 wrote: »
    I assume we are in alternate reality ireland, like our own world but with zombies...and guns!
    clearly! thats why we had lasers pointers as the main weapon pointed at us when we first entered the school :P

• Advertisement

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    clearly! thats why we had lasers pointers as the main weapon pointed at us when we first entered the school :P

Pfft they were laser pens only, though apparently they can bring down a plane if you blind the pilot!

I guess I try and keep it generic when I write. The yank-ness comes out from time to time, I'm sure, but it's unintentional. :D

The whole weapons/firearms thing is a big difference between the US and Ireland though. I grew up w/ a father that was a licensed gun dealer for years and have been shooting since I was a little kid. We'd hunt whatever was in season - but such is life in South Dakota. I don't hunt/shoot much any more but with my son being old enough now I'd guess that will change...

That was part of the idea of us building a fictional city to set our stories in, like I mentioned before. We could dictate social/political climate and the like. Mash up ideas between the US/Ireland and create our own world for the CYOA stories.

I think we will need to clear up where we are for the rest of the current story, America or Ireland, (Or somewhere else) as in terms of what is reasonable for weaponry, this is an important question.

For the current thread I vote Ireland, mainly because that is where I was in my head starting off.

In future stories perhaps a note could be put in the OP as to where it is set?

I think we will need to clear up where we are for the rest of the current story, America or Ireland, (Or somewhere else) as in terms of what is reasonable for weaponry, this is an important question.

For the current thread I vote Ireland, mainly because that is where I was in my head starting off.

In future stories perhaps a note could be put in the OP as to where it is set?

I never thought we were anywhere else but Ireland, that was a reasonable assumption for boards.ie given that it wasn't explicitly stated to be elsewhere at the beginning.

I never thought we were anywhere else but Ireland, that was a reasonable assumption for boards.ie given that it wasn't explicitly stated to be elsewhere at the beginning.

Me too, but not everyone has made that assumption it seems. Also I think it could be fun to have a set starting location, it would allow a greater variation from a generic template.

Looking for guns around West Belfast is quite a different experience to Looking for them around Dalkey, or South Dakota for that matter;)

• Advertisement

I assumed we were in Ireland, also. Though I've done my best to fake like I know what the hell I'm writing about, having - very, very sadly - never been there. :(

I assumed we were in Ireland, also. Though I've done my best to fake like I know what the hell I'm writing about, having - very, very sadly - never been there. :(
    yeah I thought it was Ireland too.

maybe we could make up some kind of a map like in urban dead or dead frontier and in each area you MIGHT be able to find different things, like medical in one area, but you'd have to cross a few more areas if you wanted to find weapons or food or shelter(thats safe)

Yeah, I think that was what Dakota was going for, a map of some sort to help us along in that regard. I think it's a good idea...like you said SmileyPaul, it'd give us an idea of where to go to find certain supplies and how far we'd have to go to get there, as well as giving us each an idea of where we're at. I mean, I could care less if the stories are set strictly in Ireland or elsewhere...we've done good so far moving the stories along, and it's not hampered me any. The map would just be a little extra help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i vote for the next story to be set in the U.S.I united states of ireland.
    somewhere between washington and wicklow
    i like Dakotas idea of a fictional city that we draw up from scratch but not sure how we would go about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

How about an Irish holiday maker in the good old U.S of A. Or Going on an earlier suggestion a convention from boards.ie with our answers killing us off one by one.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

when taking water from the petrol station, it was in "oz", not ml, so presumed the story was in the states..

also James' fathers gun cabinet was in "the den"..

Groovy - nice comments on the city/map idea and I REALLY like SUNGOD's notion of "U.S.I - United States of Ireland" for a basis. Exactly what I was aiming for - a combo of the two.

I think we could really pick any city of small/medium - say 200,000 people or less, maybe even small to start, - and use that as a template. I've had a few ideas but not the time to get them organized.

We'd just set some basic things like gun ownership by civilians, major physical landmarks, like mountains or rivers, local military presence, are there any bases or training grounds near-by?, location of clinics and hospitals, location of shopping malls or the like, airports, car dealerships, construction sites, or just about anything we could work into the story I guess... Perhaps we should start a "Build the CYOA city" and have everyone contribute ideas?

If we don't want to go that far I'd suggest it is completely up to the writers to set things up. If there is something that is not outright addressed, such as gun ownership by civilians, than the next writer can do whatever he pleases... so unless it's specified - it's fair game.

Rather ironic that we are ok with the hordes of zombies walking around ireland, but find it silly if there is a gun in every house :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If youre looking for guns go to the local garda station and get a hold of the firearm register for that area
    It has all the names and addresses of the owners
    Firearms arent as uncommon in Ireland as most people believe

If youre looking for guns go to the local garda station and get a hold of the firearm register for that area

robert - the man with the plan. That's a fine idea someone could take and run with in the upcoming posts... :D

• Advertisement

Also re-posting writer order...

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    robert - the man with the plan. That's a fine idea someone could take and run with in the upcoming posts... :D

Would that information not be given out to the general public? Sounds like would be like a shopping list for an enterprising thief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

No it definitely wouldnt be but if its the end of the world scenario all youd have to do is get into the garda station and look for it

Also re-posting writer order...

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106

No harm repeating...

If any recent reader would like to have a go contributing to the story, post here in the discussion forum and you will be slotted in :)

I finish college at the end of may, if by then we've decided on an city I can take it, put it into photoshop or something like that and edit it in such a way that it would.... well look like a grand theft auto map....

or ****... why don't we bypass the **** and USE a GTA map??! maybe the likes of san andreas would be too big but ****.... could be a good idea

sanandreasps1_2.jpg

I like the way this one uses a grid system

I know there is no legend but this means we can do one ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OK youse buckos can Fester and Rot in yer precious city whilst the more sensible amongst us hold out on our well stocked Rural Peninsula, I noticed last week that Airtricity have built a few dozen Windmills abour ten miles up the coast from my original boundary point :D

if ye Survive for long enough come and see us.

course if we are going by the GTA maps I'm takin NW Hackenslash ;)

Love the map idea SmileyPaul. I think we'll just have to figure out the correct scale so that we can see enough detail w/out things being toooooo detailed. Bit of a happy medium...

A grid would be nice - just have to figure out the dimensions. I would think a 10x10, like an Urban Dead suburb, would give us a place to start and we could expand from there. Not sure tho - suggestions?

And if/when we make it outta the city we can throw together a rough rural/country map.

EDIT - if someone could build something like this http://www.facilities.gatech.edu/map/index.php - well that would rock.

will post my part during the day

i dont think mahatma will be too happy with my post but i couldnt kill our hero not now when he has revenge on his mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

*grabs popcorn* :P

*grabs popcorn* :P

Oh thx for the help there MD. :)

Ok - well. Not quite sure how to handle this seeing's as I think we all saw Mahatma's intended results. I'm a bit torn on how to move this forward.

Meeting time for me at work so I will dwell on this while listening to others prattle on... thoughts or opinions appreciated.

NOTE - I am leaning towards suggesting we use Mahatma's outcomes since he was the author. In short - we're dead and SUNGOD or the next writer can kick off a new story. But this is a group effort so lets hear what everyone thinks. I just don't want authors to lose control of their part of the story...

I think I missed something. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Oh thx for the help there MD. :)

Ok - well. Not quite sure how to handle this seeing's as I think we all saw Mahatma's intended results. I'm a bit torn on how to move this forward.

Meeting time for me at work so I will dwell on this while listening to others prattle on... thoughts or opinions appreciated.

NOTE - I am leaning towards suggesting we use Mahatma's outcomes since he was the author. In short - we're dead and SUNGOD or the next writer can kick off a new story. But this is a group effort so lets hear what everyone thinks. I just don't want authors to lose control of their part of the story...

Way to handle it, :P

To fill people in, Mahatma posted the options result in the main thread instead of by PM, he quickly deleted it. The most common option A resulted in death.

Sungod then rebelled and wrote his version of the story any way :pac:

Way to handle it, :P

To fill people in, Mahatma posted the options result in the main thread instead of by PM, he quickly deleted it. The most common option A resulted in death.

Sungod then rebelled and wrote his version of the story any way :pac:

Damn.

Well, I guess that just goes to show that you really have to think every single choice through. I mean, I honestly picked A 'cause I thought it was safe....actually, I didn't even think of any of the options as not being safe.

Guess maybe we deserve to die for that. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm happy enought with that, Mainly I just wanted to shake people up a bit, this story is going well, but we all seem to be making what we presume to be safe choices, I wanted to shake peoples thought process up a bit and remind them that there is a Zompaclypse going on and that nothing should be taken for Granted, that said tho I look forward to the despatching of the treacherous Apollo :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm happy enought with that, Mainly I just wanted to shake people up a bit, this story is going well, but we all seem to be making what we presume to be safe choices, I wanted to shake peoples thought process up a bit and remind them that there is a Zompaclypse going on and that nothing should be taken for Granted, that said tho I look forward to the despatching of the treacherous Apollo :pac:

I'm a bit torn on this "rebellion" against the writer.

I'd be tending towards the writer's death choice being supreme, except that in this case I thought the writer (your good self, Mahatma) was being a bit unfair. It was a bit like "you step outside...boom..a piano falls on your head. I'm sorry, didn't I mention the falling pianos?"

I think we (readers) have to take for granted that a clue will be placed in the narrative, no matter how subtle, about the dangerous choice. Sorry Mahatma - the death outcome seemed a bit arbitrary to me. So lets hear it for REVENGE. Down with Apollo etc.

im sorry:(

ok i was wrong i already had that scenario in mind before i got the options from mahatma and when they got leaked and people joked they would change there choices then i decided to go along with my original story.

apologies to mahatma as the writer i should have followed his story.
    so feel free to kill me(us) and let the next writer start again.

on a different note, to any poker players being next to write after mahatma is like having a loose cannon playing into you in poker, you just havent a clue whats going to come your way:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

No harm repeating...

If any recent reader would like to have a go contributing to the story, post here in the discussion forum and you will be slotted in :)

Hi I'd like to have a go. slot me in when the next story Begins.

Goodoak wrote: »
    Hi I'd like to have a go. slot me in when the next story Begins.

Absolutely Goodoak and welcome to the party! Please try and make sure you vote as your are able to and we'll add ya to the writers list. You will eventually receive a PM from phil106 and he'll let ya know what his story outcomes are and you can take it from there.

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106
    9. Goodoak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Absolutely Goodoak and welcome to the party! Please try and make sure you vote as your are able to and we'll add ya to the writers list. You will eventually receive a PM from phil106 and he'll let ya know what his story outcomes are and you can take it from there.

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106
    9. Goodoak
    do you have to be on the list to vote?

If so, apologies for tread spoiling in the past, and please sign me up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement