Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Role Reversal

• 31-01-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi my names James and due to economics my wife and I have reversed roles ie she wage earner I stay home mind toddler and also do school etc for 3 older ones just wondering if there are many other stay home dads out there in same position

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hi James - for what it's worth, my hubby & I are both wage-earners & stay-at- home parents. I work professionally three days/week, during which time my hubby has exclusive care for our 2 daughters. Then he goes to work 6 evenings/week & I care for the girls. Works for us and means we don't have to pay for childcare (which would easily wipe out at least one of our earnings).

Good on you & your wife for figuring out what was best for your family & running with it...some men (and women) would be too "traditional," stubborn or proud to step out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Thank you AYLA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Hi James,

My husband and I are expecting our first child soon and will be in the same situation. We know that we don't want to farm out our child to a creche so it is important to us that one of us is able to be a stay at home parent, although Ayla's solution is also a very good one. At the moment I'm the one in the best position to support us all financially.

I know it is going to be very difficult for me personally to go back to work after my maternity leave, but at least I will know that the baby will be with his/her Daddy and that the two of them will be able to form a strong bond.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi James,

My husband stays home with our 1 year old two days of the week. He found it difficult to begin with as I had been the primary carer up until I went back to work. However he's really adapted well to looking after him and judging his needs and feels now like it was the best thing he ever did. They have a great bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Thanks for your reply,s. it really is a great feeling to watch your child grow and learn. we have 3 older girls, but I had good job therefore my wife was the main care giver. but in the past year due to finances reversed roles and now I look after my 3 year old son and bring and collect girls from school clean house and prepare dinner for the family in the evenings my wife and I still find it hard but are getting used to it :) I honestly didnt realise but Im not a bad cook (Jamie Oliver) as the wife laughingly refers to me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When my wife went back to work after her maternity leave I quit my job to stay at home with our son. I was able to do about 2 hours work a day (for a bit of income and to keep the brain active).

I thoroughly enjoy it. I do not have any issues with my wife being the wage earner (I do have a problem with the tax law that doesn't give her all my tax free allowances).

I fully realise that we are very lucky to be able to have this arrangement.

Advertisement