Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London west end shows

• 31-01-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Is it possible to buy tickets for the west end shows anyplace except on line. It seems very expensive to purchase on line, is the only other option to buy while in london prior to show?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 observe

You will be able to get tickets from the box office of most theatres in the morning. There are discount ticket booths in central London, but the seats aren't always the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MsHarlotDeVille

Emily,I live in London and would never purchase tickets online. The ticket booths on Piccadilly Circus are your best bet. It's fiercely competitive too,so you're guaranteed to get the best value.

Hope this helps. If you need advice on shows or anything else,let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I'd avoid the Ticket Booths around Leicester Square - I always have a few shows in mind and go to the Box Office of that theatre earlier in the day as 9 times out of 10 you'll get cheaper tickets. But always ask for the cheapest tickets available - if it's discount time, you'll get good tickets - but if it's a fairly well booked up musical or top show - you could end up in the "Gods" for £10 but it depends on how much you want to see a show. I haven't booked advance tickets in years. Have fun! And eat in Chintatown - again cheap and cheerful. J

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

Hey,

I'm heading over to London in a couple of weeks. We were thinking of going to see the Phantom of the Opera on the Friday night but we wouldn't be able to get tickets until around mid day on the Friday unless we book online. Do you think this is leaving it too late and unlikely that we'll get tickets? Also, should we try the theatre or Leicester Square?

We were thinking of going to a show on the Sunday night as well. I think the last time I was over there there were no shows on the Sunday, or less shows. I can't really remember. Does anyone here know?

Also, could anyone recommend good shows to go to. I was thinking Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Ciara -

I'll list a few shows I've seen over the years - and loved - "Chicago", "The Lion King", "Blood Brothers" - loved "Les Mis" it's wonderful - "Phantom" I did enjoy it but think I knew the story too well, so was a little bored. So many more shows to list but just trying to think of a few shows that are easy to enjoy.

Re. Sunday night - instead of a show - go for Comedy - I love going to the Comedy Store in Leicester Square, Sunday is Impro night - always fantastic. Look up their website. Seriously, it's a great way to spend a Sunday evening in London town.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

The last time I was there I went to a comedy show. I can't remember the name of the place but it was so awful. Half the crowd left after half an hour. The 'comedians' were absolutely brutal. Not even slightly funny. I never leave anything and I left that. It made me a bit wary about going to comedy shows that I haven't heard of. I might look into that one though. Wish I lived in London and could go to shows every week. Cheers for the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 baz2011

I go to the West end a good bit and I have learned that definately the best place to get tickets are the Theatres themselves. They always have the best availability and seats. If you can go the morning of the show they usually release cheap seats as well.

TKTS in Leicester square can also be good but most of the time they just direct you to the theatre.

I would avoid the half price booths that are everywhere. Yes your ticket might be cheap but it will more than likely be one of the worst seats in the house. As well as that I have often gotten tickets from the theatre cheaper than from those booths anyway!

If you have a student card you can get amazing tickets. If you go to the theatre and ask for a student ticket, in most theatres you can get the best available seat for around £25. I have never bought a ticket online, you just need to know what to look out for and if its busy you will have less options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Bumping an old thread here, but me and my girl (students) are going this weekend and want to see Wicked!

So if we go to the Apollo on Fri/Sat morning do you think we'd have any chance of getting tickets for it? Thanks so much for your advice already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 baz2011

Hows it going! Would love to be heading over to London!

If you go to the theatre on the morning of the show they usually release a certain number of seats at reduced rates, usually in the front row. But because you are going with students, they will get reduced rates anyway, and I know for wicked it should be the best seat at a price of about £25. Im not sure though if you can book these in advance or again if you have to go on the morning of the show. It might be good to give the theatre a call to suss things out. If it were me and you couldnt book in advance, I would go to the theatre on the morning, about 15 minutes before it opens and you should get good tickets!! Enjoy!

Box office usually opens at either 10/10.30 but Im sure if you ring up they will tell you. Saturday could be very busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I was thinking of going to see 'Wicked' in December and was planning to do a package deal hotel B&B (for two) and tickets to the show on a Saturday. Is there any websites anyone could recommend for a decent package deal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement